Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on an air cleaner/intake. Besides finding one with a balance between working well and looking good, my main concern is finding one that fits close to the bike and/or is built forward enough that I don't knock my knee on it all day.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've been very happy with the Thunder Tornado. It provides a lot more clearance than the stock intake, looks good and flows a lot of air. I'd look into Dougs intakes as well though. Not sure of clearance, but they're a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a thread on the classifieds for 1300 that is custom made with oils sooked breathers comes in multipile colors and does not stick out to far might be what you are looking for.

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Yep, Doug's intakes. I love the open air intake with the X on the end! :mosh:

Here are a few links for you:

Open Air
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=39713

Edelbrock
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=39825

His website: www.customvtxintakes.com
Thanks Jeff the checks in the mail :D
Also some people have asked if the X is optional, yes it is and it looks just as good without one if that's not your flavor.

I forgot to add these, there measured from the centerline of the carb up against the tanks seam. And there's no leg clearance issues at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the problem is that I'm already unhappy with the stock cleaner's clearance and am hoping that I can improve that while upgrading.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I guess the problem is that I'm already unhappy with the stock cleaner's clearance and am hoping that I can improve that while upgrading.
If your not happy with the stock airbox clearance you might be between a rock & a hard spot.

To be honest there's not many options thats going to be any closer to the carb, Barons big air kit might be your only option but I've never seen one in person so I don't even know if thats any closer? I'm sure someone with one could measure it for you.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Don't think you could get much more clearance than Thunders Tornado or Hurricane intakes. I'm not near my bike to measure, but I'm 6'0" and I don't think I could touch the intake with my knee if I wanted to.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
the ebay spike intakes give you lots of clearance too...just an FYI

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After much trial and error I finally concluded that the Baron Big Air Kit gives you the most leg clearance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the barons bak mounts closer to the engine than the stock air box.after you install it you will forget how much you spent on it because you will be happy that there's nothing interfering with your knee.also you almost dont here the air sucking in except if you have the choke on.im happy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts