Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through all the oil posts, and nobody seems to have covered the regular Amsoil 10W-40 vs the MC version of the Amsoil 10W-40. Both oils have the appropriate JASO-MA approval and are listed as "wet clutch safe" and appropriate for motorcycles. There is about $1.27 per quart difference in the price. Thoughts? Is this the same oil in two different bottles or is there a different additive package?

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Start Readin:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

:)

(TLDR: The .PDF file goes into the difference between the lubrication needs of Automobile Engines and Motorcycle Engines. Basically, they say Motorcycle Engines have a greater demand put on them than Automobile Engines, so the requirements for Motorcycle Oils need to be formulated for this greater demand. Not that both don't meet JASO-MA Standards, they do... But those are baseline requirements. Amsoil's Motorcycle Oil far exceeds the JASO-MA Standards.)

-Gonz

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
regular Amsoil 10W-40
Exceeds the Requirements of Wet Clutch Transmissions
AMSOIL Premium Protection Synthetic Motor Oil contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for motorcycles, maintenance equipment and other wet clutch transmission applications. Formulated to prevent clutch glazing and slippage, it helps insure smooth clutch engagement and long term, dependable transmission operation. AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil reduces clutch wear for extended transmission life.

MC 10w-40

AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for liquid or air-cooled 4-stroke engines. It meets SAE 80W/90, API GL-1 gear oil requirements and is recommended for transmissions on both 4- and 2-stroke motorcycles. AMSOIL MCF is recommended for Honda®, Kawasaki®, Yamaha®, Suzuki®, BMW®, Husqvarna®, Victory® and other motorcycles where 10W-40 or 20W-40 engine oils or SAE 80W/90, GL-1 gear oils are used. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
How strange. Since my pre-bought maintenance has recently expired and I will be doing most of the PM on my scooter, just yesterday, I was curious about AMSOIL and wondering if it was worth the price and came across these test results from an online search. I was surprised to find out it isn't necessarily more expensive, but is one of the best MC lubricants.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
How strange. Since my pre-bought maintenance has recently expired and I will be doing most of the PM on my scooter, just yesterday, I was curious about AMSOIL and wondering if it was worth the price and came across these test results from an online search. I was surprised to find out it isn't necessarily more expensive, but is one of the best MC lubricants.
Its value lies in being able to use it much longer than Regular Dino Oil.

I don't, and never have, bought into Honda's 8k mile oil change with Dino Oil. I would only run Dino Oil in a bike for 3k-4k miles.

However, Ill run 12k on Amsoil.. Changing the filter around 5k-6k miles (Filters do get full).

So.. for 12k miles:

Amsoil 4q - $8 ea.. $32 + $10 (2 filters) - Call it $45
Dino Oil 16q (4 changes) $3 ea.. $48, +$20 (4 filters) - Call it $70

But... each to their own :)

-Gonz

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't, and never have, bought into Honda's 8k mile oil change with Dino Oil. I would only run Dino Oil in a bike for 3k-4k miles.

However, Ill run 12k on Amsoil.. Changing the filter around 5k-6k miles (Filters do get full).

So.. for 12k miles:

-Gonz
Where are you buying the Amsoil at $8 a quart? The cheapest I can find it is buying it direct from Amsoil and using the preferred customer plan. That will make my initial purchase of a 12 quart case average to $10.11 a quart or $9.47 if I purchase 2 cases, which is a whole lot of oil and a big layout in one shot for like three years worth of oil.:nope: And, apparently the local dealers are not really interested in selling, because neither of the two I have contacted got back to me with a quote.

·
Registered
122 Posts

So.. for 12k miles:

-Gonz
To be quite honest with you,,here in Canada Amsoil oil is about $14 a quart,,,and thats on sale. I really wouldn't care if it was $20 a quart,,why,, because it is in my opinion its the best thing I have done for my X and for my peace of mind. I doubt that I will ever change my mind on that. End of story.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i just use the amsoil mc oil 10-40, costs me around 10 dollars a quart. What i would like to know is if the amsoil mc 20-50 oil might be better for summer time use. If anyone knows, or has opinions, i would like to know, and i really dont care about a dollar difference per quart. Thats 4 dollars an oil change, and my vtx is surely worth that. and why not?

ps, i hear you Pretorian

·
Registered
328 Posts
Our bikes are water cooled with a thermostat that keeps them at a constat temperature. No need to run a thicker oil when it gets hot. 10-40 year round.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Years ago, I ran Amsoil in one of my old Suzuki GS's. I can't remember if it was my 550 or my 850. I was ordering the 10W-40 directly from Amsoil, as it was too hard to make it by a local seller at a convenient time. While talking to the person on the phone, I asked the difference between the normal Amsoil 10W-40 syn. and the Amsoil 10W-40 syn. MC oil. The regular 10W-40 came is gallon jugs and was cheaper than buying individual quarts. I was told there was no difference between the oils. Keep in mind, that was probably 10+ years ago. I know they are improving their formula all the time, so it may have changed since then.

Bottom line, if it is going in a bike, stick with the MC oil. It is made specifically for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts