Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fueling up today and had the gas cap sitting on top of the pump like always and the thing falls off for whatever reason. I hear something hit the ground and before I can turn my head to see what it was, I hear a metallic sound immediately following. The gas cap had fallen off the pump and happened to land on the swinging door that covers the key hole. The metallic sound was the door bouncing on the concrete after it had broken off of the gas cap. I have 2 questions and a conclusion to a question I have had the past few days.
Question 1: If it rains before I get this fixed, will the gas in the tank and the lock itself be ok?
Question 2: Is there anything that I or the dealership can do to fix this without having to use a different key for just the gas cap without replacing all locks?
Conclusion: That gas cap hinge that is advertised in a current thread may be blimished. However, it's easier to put on a hinge than to replace a broken gas cap keyhole cover.
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
the hinge doesent cover the key slot. and I dont thing that water can get all the way through the key slot into the tank. they are vapor/gas proof so must be water proof.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the hinge doesent cover the key slot. and I dont thing that water can get all the way through the key slot into the tank. they are vapor/gas proof so must be water proof.
I know it doesn't cover the key hole but it will prevent it from falling off a gas pump ever again!

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Roger that! I have the 1800 version on order...:cheers: Mine almost got away from me last time I fueled...

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And we will definitely see how vapor/gas/water proof the cap really is. I've got a 300 mile ride home sunday with 40-60% isolated thunderstorms the entire way.

·
Darksider
2,849 Posts
The cap and gas will be ok. Just the key hole is now exposed.

Sadly, the only way to fix it is a new cap. Now a lock smith maybe able to swap the original tumbler over so you don't have two keys. Not sure, never really paid that much attention to removing the key tumbler.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Hmmm, never really thought about this happening, and I also sit my gas cap up on the pump, if the pump is relatively clean....

Thanks for the lesson...

Spoiler

·
WTF, Over!
8,353 Posts

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I highly doubt that any rain will get thru the keyhole but you could always just throw a small piece of tape over the key slot just to be sure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So far as I know you should be able to swap out the cyinder into the new gas cap. If ya need some uncut spare keys let me know... (if that helps)

·
243 Posts
Question 1: If it rains before I get this fixed, will the gas in the tank and the lock itself be ok?
I'm thinking a small piece of tape(duct or scotch, your choice) over the key slot, until fixed....

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
You will suffer no seepage and yes the hinge will never allow the cap to hit the ground again. I put my on almost 2 years ago and don't even think about it anymore.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
The only thing that the cover does is cover the key hole.
On the "R" I just put the cap on the tree in front of the bars it never went anywhere. But if you have risers like I do now then that opption is out. I have been putting it on the pump. I thought about getting the cap hinge but after looking at it ,it looks like when you have it open your keys would hang down and cratch the tank

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
I have always sat (carefully placed) my cap on the ground while fueling up. Won't fall far from there! ;)
Vjp5 had a thread just a couple days ago where he posted a link to the hinges from ebay. These were blemished units. They each had a minor imperfection in the chrome somewhere on them. Those that had gotten them said that they could hardly notice anything wrong with the chrome. $54 + $6 to ship I think it was. Wish I had the extra cash. I'd get one.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Well, here is what I would do, but then again I tend to do things differently. I would put some tape over the key hole until I got a new cap. THen I would start disassembling the old cap to see if it is possible to take the new cap apart and swap the locks out. There is usually a way to disassemble most parts so I figure it is worth a try. If there isn't a way, I would remove the ignition switch and see if that can be rekeyed to match the new gas cap..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well, here is what I would do, but then again I tend to do things differently. I would put some tape over the key hole until I got a new cap. THen I would start disassembling the old cap to see if it is possible to take the new cap apart and swap the locks out. There is usually a way to disassemble most parts so I figure it is worth a try. If there isn't a way, I would remove the ignition switch and see if that can be rekeyed to match the new gas cap..
Even if the keyhole doesn't leak through, you still don't want the tumblers full of water.

Most locks of this type can be removed. Usually there is a trick. Like a push tab that can barely be seen though a tiny opening, or sometimes the lock will have an extra tumbler at the far end, that your key is too short to reach. If that's the case, you have to know how to pick it to get it out, or take it to a dealer or locksmith.

My *GUESS* is that the existing keyway and tumblers can be moved to the new cap.

I'm no lock smith but I did have some lock training some years ago. I'll peek at mine after work and see if I can figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the replies! I greatly appreciate it! If everyone has a spare cap (beat up, rusted, dented, whatever), will you PM me? I want to tear it apart and figure some things out about the lock and everything. Once I have a solution or two, I will have to post a preventive and fix thread for the other members. Thanks again for all of the replies! Now on to my replies....

Hmmm, never really thought about this happening, and I also sit my gas cap up on the pump, if the pump is relatively clean....

Thanks for the lesson...

Spoiler
Anything I can do to help teach the masses :banghead:

You could always get the hinge, then do the key knob mod on a spare that you can put in when you are riding, so it hides the key hole, and looks cool...
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d...stom_CNC_Seat_Key_Knob___Sold_Each&model_id=0

(link is for illustrative purposes only-item discontinued)
I saw a thread on key mods. Can't seem to find it. Maybe someone can post a link... But you're on the track of what I have been planning on doing.

So far as I know you should be able to swap out the cyinder into the new gas cap. If ya need some uncut spare keys let me know... (if that helps)
PM sent.

The only thing that the cover does is cover the key hole.
On the "R" I just put the cap on the tree in front of the bars it never went anywhere. But if you have risers like I do now then that opption is out. I have been putting it on the pump. I thought about getting the cap hinge but after looking at it ,it looks like when you have it open your keys would hang down and cratch the tank
I considered this. If I do the key mod and leave the key in the cap, I won't have an issue with scratching the tank. It would be awesome if someone would post a link to that key mod thread... Beuller? Beuller? :D

I have always sat (carefully placed) my cap on the ground while fueling up. Won't fall far from there!
Vjp5 had a thread just a couple days ago where he posted a link to the hinges from ebay. These were blemished units. They each had a minor imperfection in the chrome somewhere on them. Those that had gotten them said that they could hardly notice anything wrong with the chrome. $54 + $6 to ship I think it was. Wish I had the extra cash. I'd get one.

Ray
Thanks. I'm already subscribed to that thread and last night after it broke, I quickly ordered the hinge. Tiny blemish or not, it will look better than the exposed keyhole!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts