Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a owner of 2008 Honda VTX 1800 T, Mother and grandmother. Would like to discuss mechanical and or electrical issue that just started today.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome to the Café from east central Indiana! You will get quick responses here. Might I ask what is your issue? Oh, and, that's "Abby" as in short for my last name.lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sooo, I have a trike conversion kit on my bike due to back surgery and fibromyalgia. I went to ride to work this evening and my battery was dead. Now, I just changed the oil last weekend and took her for a spin. I tried using an older charger but the charger kept flipping off, its a really old charger. I tried my portable hand held booster that didn't work from not being charged. I then tried my bigger booster, the bike started without the key and switch on with booster on battery and of course died but would not start with booster off, key and switch on, I wasn't getting anything then. I was rushing for work guys. so, does anyone have an idea on this? I should have checked her last night but I work late. Thanx. :doh:

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
A lot of older battery chargers (one of mine that I bought back in the 70's) has a reverse polarity automatic reset breaker that opens up the charge circuit to keep from frying the charger, it will also do this when hooked up to a direct short circuit. After the device cools off the circuit will close again.

As far as the bike starting with key and switch off, I don't understand that it should not do that! I am wondering if maybe your starter relay contact are welded and what happened was the starter motor turned the engine over until you removed the booster but the engine never actually started. Interesting. I am guessing that your battery is totally dead, maybe from the contacts being welded. We will probably need more information as we go forward. If you can think of anything that might give us a hint or perhaps we will have to direct you to do a few troubleshooting things to get a handle on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It actually did start with the key and switch off till I took the booster off and I realized the they were off, when I removed the booster, the bike shut off and would not start at all, like battery was completely dead, no power at all, but hooked the booster back up, again it started with key and switch off. not sure at all. I was frazzled enough rushing for work but you are correct on old charger, was my dads, was prob made way back in the 70's. I hadn't ridden a good distance in a while but did ride her last weekend after changing the oil. I did not charge her during the week.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
First, you might edit your profile/ settings to show us where you are located so we can help you with issues like this, direct you to upcoming tech sessions to get work done for free, or just to meet/ greet like minded folks. I'm in agreement that your battery was probably your first FUBAR. A weak battery can show 12 V but a bad cell or 2, and this will cause the contacts to weld themselves together eventually. These bikes do require periodic maintenance like cleaning the starter button slide contacts, keeping the battery on a tender when not riding. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
A lot of older battery chargers (one of mine that I bought back in the 70's) has a reverse polarity automatic reset breaker that opens up the charge circuit to keep from frying the charger, it will also do this when hooked up to a direct short circuit. After the device cools off the circuit will close again.

As far as the bike starting with key and switch off, I don't understand that it should not do that! I am wondering if maybe your starter relay contact are welded and what happened was the starter motor turned the engine over until you removed the booster but the engine never actually started. Interesting. I am guessing that your battery is totally dead, maybe from the contacts being welded. We will probably need more information as we go forward. If you can think of anything that might give us a hint or perhaps we will have to direct you to do a few troubleshooting things to get a handle on this.
Welcome from Tennessee and I too agree with contacts on starting solenoid welded. This needs to be corrected and see how things go. Wishing you well! :patriot:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Welcome from the eastern shore of Maryland. I think these guys are on to something with the relay, definitely sounds like a short in the starter circuit. Hope you get it worked out soon.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
welcome to the :coffee: from South Florida. sounds strange that it turns over without switch, relay as has been mentioned. while you're doing that like Fran (Paxman) said, do a little maintenance on the starter switch, try having battery checked at local auto store, and get a battery tender for those times bike not used. tender will not charge a dead battery but maintain it during down times...also make sure the ground fix, known to the 1800's has been done. you can find that by clicking on Forums on top, 1800 Forums, and it should be on one of the stickys or common problems. you'll find a wealth of information there, or just ask, some of the more knowledgeable folk on here will chime in.
let us know how you make out :patriot::choppersm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
monte56
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing