Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is Tuesday evening around 7:15. I am sitting in the den browsing the Cafe and on and off watching a movie I've seen 20+ times. All is well.

We are waiting on my daughter to get home from work. She was going to be later than usual - last minute shopping to do before her 55 minute drive home.

The phone rings, my daughter is on the other end crying, breathing hard, talking 90 miles an hour. I can hardly understand her but do understand something is terribly wrong.

"I've had a bad wreck". I tried to calm her down but you know how that goes. She is desperate. What happened I asked. "Some guy ran me off the S curve out by County Line by the power substation". "When ?" I asked. About 20 minutes ago.

So now I know exactly where she is. I am 35 miles away and now my panic starts to set in trying to decide what to do.

I asked "how are you?" OK I think, was the response. What kind of shape is the vehicle in I asked? Totaled, it's totaled. So now I am more worried than ever - what kind of condition is she in really if the Trailblazer is totaled.

Tell me what happened. I was going around the S curve outside of County Line (small town - one old abandoned country grocery store and that's it) and a guy in a pickup was coming at me and he was across in the wrong lane. I took the ditch to miss him, when I tried to get back on the road I guess I over steered, got going side ways and rolled about 5 times. Did he stop ? No he just kept on going I guess - he wasn't around when I finally got to where I could think straight.

So I am thinking she is out in the cold - no one around - she may be really injured and my only response is I will be there as quick as I can. I hate the feeling of being helpless to do anything.

Did you called the police ? No but they are here and so is the ambulance.

Huh ? How did the police and ambulance get there so quickly?

This was answered by the 2nd of tonight's Angel Events. About 5 minutes after the accident an off duty EMT was driving down the road and stopped to help her. He had done a preliminary check then got her out of the car - and put her in his vehicle so she would not be cold. He called the police and the ambulance and waited with her. Odds on this happening on a county back road this time of day are let's say pretty slim on it happening.

I then heard one of the Police Officers in the background asking her if she had gotten in touch with anyone. She said yes. I told her to please have the officers call the DPS - County Law Enforcement and Local Police and tell them I would be headed that way at a higher than normal (way above the speed limit) with my emergency flashers on and would appreciate not getting pulled over. They complied.

I arrived a few minutes later. OK, I was ready for damage but what I saw was scary, just kinda buckled my knees when I got out the 'burban. My daughter was no where in sight, still had her in the ambulance monitoring her. I walked over and spoke to the officers. They tried to assure me that they thought she was going to be fine and that the ambulance crew was just making sure and monitoring her. Let me throw in here I have never encountered two finer policeman in the way they handled this situation. There are some extenuating circumstances that go along with this incident that they handled in a very professional but compassionate fashion. Angel Event #3 led these particular officers to this accident I have no doubt.

There were pieces of car everywhere. The roof was about 80% caved in. No glass in the vehicle that wasn't shattered completely or missing except the back tail door glass - totally in tact but the hinges were broken. Both headlight assemblies were gone. Taillight assemblies shattered. Front seat broken. Left front wheel assembly broken and one other tire flat. Everything was bent or caved in. One good thing, no fuel leakage.

So now the hard part started. My daughter emerges from the ambulance. I am a mental wreck on the inside but I know, as all Dad’s do, it is my responsibility to be the stable force at this time (yea right). No luxury of emotional release here, no going in the other room till the stress and strain passes and no passing the buck to someone else to handle the situation. It is step up to the plate time. You have to cope with your emotion while dealing with her emotions, the physical pain she is dealing with and all that goes into her walking out of the ambulance and seeing the largest monetary investment she has in the world rolled up in a metal mess and knowing there is no insurance to cover it and it isn’t paid for. Long story I had just been made aware of.

Now we had to empty the Trailblazer of stuff before the wrecker came. The Trailblazer contained several Christmas gifts she had purchased and groceries. The EMT and the Officers had picked up what had been thrown from the vehicle and put it back while I was traveling to the wreck site. We moved all of the contents of the Trailblazer to the ‘burban. When we took stock the next day unloading she had lost nothing. A minor miracle in itself. With no glass in the vehicle and rolling 5 times I would have figured you would have lost a lot. So Angel event #4. All of a single mothers last minute Christmas shopping for her kids was saved. Money that could not have been spent again on her budget. Even all of the groceries were saved. Only real damage one box of candy crushed, 4 or 5 porcelain mugs broken and a bottle of air fresher leaked.

Just before we left I went over to thank the Officers one last time for all of their help. The lead Officer made the statement more than once he really didn’t see how she made it through. Injuries included several pretty severe blows to her head, the roof was caved so bad she was bouncing it off the roof every roll and turn, general bumps and bruises, shoulder and chest pain from the seat belt tugging at her and a cut on the back of one ankle. Very lucky he said. Someone was watching out for her. If she had not had the seat belt on she wouldn’t have made it.

That statement leads to Angel Event #1. Cari never ever wears a seat belt. Never. She made the statement to me on the way home, I put my seatbelt on just before I left Lubbock in the Walmart parking lot. She said a couple of blocks later I looked down and wondered why I had put my seat belt on. Now we know.

Are their Angels in this world ? That is a resounding yes… Some from above and some are here on earth directed by those from above.

My Christmas present … I still have my daughter and her girls still have a mother thanks to intervention from those we cannot see but surely do exist.

Merry Christmas to all …. It is a blessed Christmas in Texas, at least at my house.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Thank God for angels....

Glad you have your daughter to celebrate with, and that the angels buckled her up, keeping her safe.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I am so glad everyone is ok.
Stories like that make me wonder how people don't believe there is a god.
God bless and merry christmas.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
WOW...So glad to here she will be ok.....

Wanted to comment on the dirtbag that ran her off the road, but he is not worth the time....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
very happy how things turned out for you, rjt. My oldest daughter always used to tell me because of my love for racing my bike, she would look at me seriously and say.."Dad, please dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly". Your thread gives new meaning to my daughter's warning. Thanks for an early Christmas present! Hope your daughter's pain fades fast.
Merry Christmas
Bry

·
9,160 Posts
I can't tell you how happy I am this turned out as good as it did, especially sans seatbelts. I will tell you, without a doubt, that seatbelts save lives. :mosh: WEAR THEM! I know this Christmas will take on a whole life in and of itself given the potential disaster that was avoided by divine intervention. Learn from it and take advantage of it, you may not get another chance like this. Merry Christmas.

:choppersm

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
my daughter is the reason i wear my seatbelt to this day. when she was little, i would tell her "put your seatbelt on"...and she would say "then you have to put yours on too". it became a "tradition". now 15 years later its second nature for both of us. my daughter means the world to me, and i can only imagine the terror getting a call like that from her. i am glad you still have your "little girl" and reading your story makes me want to hug my "little girl" even more.

you have a great outlook on the whole situation rtj...you still have what cant be replaced and are thankful. thats what matters most of all. merry christmas to you and your family.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Your daughter was blessed. God must need her down here for something else. Merry Christmas indeed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Got the same call from my daughter a few years ago. Worked out about the same: Totaled car but she basically walked away from it.

Best wishes for what is surely a very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family.

Give her a hug from the CAFE!

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
Glad all is well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts