Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would like to start by saying I don’t need help making the decision on going darkside or not. I’ve already made that decision. I would appreciate some suggestions on tires that you all have come to like. I think a modern VTX thread will help people since tires obviously change styles over the years.

I am interested in the best choices that will provide a soft ride yet give me good traction in turns, even if it gets 12-15 thousand miles on a tire rather than 25-35 thousand miles that people have claimed. If it gets high mileage and provides a good ride and good traction in turns than great.

Also, I am thinking about sizes as well. I have read that going to a 205-65/16 would provide Speedo correction. Is this true?

Thanks for any and all help. Let’s keep this cival y’all.

Note: Two tires I’ve seen that people like, but don’t know if they come in this size are the Good Year triple tread and the Nexen 5000.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
781 Posts
I went with General Altimax and had front end wobble issues (62-65 mph). After maybe a month, I went with a runflat tire because I think it handles better with stiffer sidewalls. I went with Bridgestone Driveguard and am much happier. I also have progressive fork springs and progressive 412HD rear shocks.

I am very happy now. Be careful about going with too soft a sidewall, it may give you wobble issues like it did for me.

Since I went with a runflat, I added a TPMS from amazon so I will know if I lose tire pressure. I've had it for 2 1/2 seasons and has worked very well.

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
That’s an excellent idea regarding the sensor. I appreciate the input. Hopefully more will chime in soon. Thanks again.
I've run the General Altimax RT43, the newer version of the Altimax radial. 205-65-16. Yes, it brings the speedo reading to within 1-2% of true actual speed, but by doing so also throws off the ODO a bit. The RT43 has a thinner sidewall than earlier versions, but running 38-40 psi keeps it stiff enough for me. I also run 'Ride-On' internal gel sealant & balancer. Saved my ass hundreds of miles from home. For ease of filling I also have steel 90* valve stems. I paid $135 for my RT43. $30 for mounting. I have 7K on it, it looks brand new. I'll likely never have to put another tire on it while I own it. Superior traction, and braking, in wet/ dry conditions. A little extra rubber helps soak up road vibrations. In the process of waiting for new Progressive 444's. Already changed the front springs a few years ago to the Progressive. Whoever I finally sell the bike to, will be getting one hell of a bargain.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
781 Posts
Also how much “ride on” is adequate for a car tire?
2 bottles for the rear tire, same as with a MT. And 1 for the front. Make sure you get motorcycle formula, not any other, they are designed differently (according to their engineers).

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
Also how much “ride on” is adequate for a car tire?
You can probably count on one hand the mileage difference. Per tankful of gas, it hardly matters. I think the Ride-On charts recommended 13-14 oz. for the 205-65-16. I used 2 full 8 oz. bottles. In stuff like this, more is better than less.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,772 Posts
My first CT was the General Altimax RT43 and next was the Michelin Defender -- both were really not that good on my 1300. The reason was the "70" sidewall and too much flex.
This is what I'm running now: https://www.amazon.com/Hankook-Kinergy-H735-All-Season-Radial/dp/B07BLG4CPQ/ref=sr_1_1?camp=1789&creative=9325&keywords=Hankook+Kinergy+ST+205/65R15&linkCode=ur2&qid=1580241086&s=automotive&sr=1-1
After 13 months, I can't think of enough good things to say about this tire. It's construction is like a performance tire: 2 ply, bead tip, cap ply over the belts. From day one, it felt so stable that it could easily pass for an MC rear tire. I run 36 psi cold. Still looks brand new. The key thing is the "65" sidewall -- very stable in curves. Plus the edges are rounded over more than the other 2. Had it over 85 mph a couple of times and NO WOBBLE -- rock solid.
The size I got is so close to the stock mc rear tire that it didn't mess up my speedo (confirmed by gps). This my best "tool" when looking at tires: Tire Size Calculator
JMHO
(y)(y)(y)
PS: just something to consider -- A ''How To": Doing a Foots/Slapjack Mod...
o_O

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, should I be concerned about the direction of the outer edge tread? Will turning left feel different than right since the tire grooves go the opposite direction? It’s not symmetrical.

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
So, should I be concerned about the direction of the outer edge tread? Will turning left feel different than right since the tire grooves go the opposite direction? It’s not symmetrical.
Never noticed a thing, and my RT43 is an asymetrical tread. The BIAS Altimax HP, is symetrical either side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So to everyone that had or has the General Alt rt43, was it a 95 H or a 95 T rating? From what I’ve researched and gathered, this may have a correlation in stiffness. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate you all helping me out. I wish we had a more accurate list or discussion on the many tires. Many from 3-4 years ago even are discontinued depending on the size.

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
So to everyone that had or has the General Alt rt43, was it a 95 H or a 95 T rating? From what I’ve researched and gathered, this may have a correlation in stiffness. Thanks!
My 1st was a 95T. After I picked up a flooring ringed nail @ 7K, I wasn't trusting it and replaced with another, except it was a 95H. IDK if it made much or any difference. But I only have a couple k on it since changing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

I have tried to be on the darkside. Was foiled by the service shop. Mechanic said, "could not find a tube big enough".
What size tube are you using in the spoked wheel? I had hoped to mount a 205/65 R15.
(2004 VTX1800S2 w/15" spoke wheel)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello, I would like to start by saying I don’t need help making the decision on going darkside or not. I’ve already made that decision. I would appreciate some suggestions on tires that you all have come to like. I think a modern VTX thread will help people since tires obviously change styles over the years.

I am interested in the best choices that will provide a soft ride yet give me good traction in turns, even if it gets 12-15 thousand miles on a tire rather than 25-35 thousand miles that people have claimed. If it gets high mileage and provides a good ride and good traction in turns than great.

Also, I am thinking about sizes as well. I have read that going to a 205-65/16 would provide Speedo correction. Is this true?

Thanks for any and all help. Let’s keep this cival y’all.

Note: Two tires I’ve seen that people like, but don’t know if they come in this size are the Good Year triple tread and the Nexen 5000.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Every rider has personal preferences on every topic. Not my opinion, but my hard earned experience proved to me on my 2015 Goldwing, and my older 2003 1800 VTX: Dark side was a Michelin on the Goldwing, a Toyo on my VTX. NO, HELL NO they did not perform like a bike tire. Smooth ride, but will bust your butt in rain and cornering. Thousand people will argue with this. Might work well for some, not for me. You will spend twice the cash keeping good quality mc tires on because of the shorter tread life, for me it is a better investment for safety reasons. Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
This may be too late for you, but I was very high on the Nexen 5000. After 6 years, I decided it was time to replace the old tire with something new. The only problem I had with it, was getting it removed... I could not get it to break the bead. I ended up having to cut it off, I won't be going through that again. I live on a gravel road and tore up a motorcycle tire pretty fast. It was the reason I went dark side. Plus the amount of rain we get in the PNW. Traction was mostly very good, only once did I have an issue, but that involved freezing rain, mud and a rock slide... So I didn't falt the tire. Since I'm going to sell my VTX1800R, I put back on a motorcycle tire for the new owner. Good luck with whatever tire you choose.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts