Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've just bought a 2005 VTX 1800r and I've been lurking in the background for awhile watching this forum. It really looks like a great forum where folks are really friendly and helpful. I have a number of questions that I'm hoping you more experienced folks can help answer.

1) As I look at parts/etc, I see that there is R1, R2, and R3 models. I have no idea what I bought. What is the difference between an 1800R1/R2/R3 and how can I tell what I have? I would post a couple of pictures, but I have to get a couple of posts under my belt before I can post pictures on this forum.

2) The guy I bought this from put a lot of custom parts on it. I don't have any idea of what is stock and what is custom. Can someone point me at original pictures or a web site that shows the original 2005 product so I can figure out what is stock and after market?

3) I think the first purchase I'm going to make is a windshield. I'm kinda favoring the National Cycle switchblade 2-up, but I'm interested in what folks think. I see that lots of folks like the the Memphis Shades, but it looks to me like the National Cycle is a bit bigger, is Lexan, and has the option of adding lowers (which is attractive here in the Pacific NW). If there is anyone near me (Eugene, OR) with either installed, I would love to hear from them so I can take a look at the product installed.

Thanks,

Dale

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I've just bought a 2005 VTX 1800r and I've been lurking in the background for awhile watching this forum. It really looks like a great forum where folks are really friendly and helpful. I have a number of questions that I'm hoping you more experienced folks can help answer.

1) As I look at parts/etc, I see that there is R1, R2, and R3 models. I have no idea what I bought. What is the difference between an 1800R1/R2/R3 and how can I tell what I have? I would post a couple of pictures, but I have to get a couple of posts under my belt before I can post pictures on this forum.

2) The guy I bought this from put a lot of custom parts on it. I don't have any idea of what is stock and what is custom. Can someone point me at original pictures or a web site that shows the original 2005 product so I can figure out what is stock and after market?

3) I think the first purchase I'm going to make is a windshield. I'm kinda favoring the National Cycle switchblade 2-up, but I'm interested in what folks think. I see that lots of folks like the the Memphis Shades, but it looks to me like the National Cycle is a bit bigger, is Lexan, and has the option of adding lowers (which is attractive here in the Pacific NW). If there is anyone near me (Eugene, OR) with either installed, I would love to hear from them so I can take a look at the product installed.

Thanks,

Dale
Welcome to the cafe from Florida.

1, 2 and 3 specs are just cosmetic differences. Look at post #5, http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=38563&highlight=spec .

Here's a good link for questions 1 & 2. http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_vtx_1800_2005.php

Yes lowers can be used with all windsields if you want to.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Welcome to The Cafe from sunny Shelby,NC (The Livermush Capital of the Free World)

Ride Safe

Spoiler

:patriot:

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Georgia!!!!!

You can tell what the spec number is by looking at the sticker on the frame of the bike...it will says R1 or R2 or of course R3....The only difference in the 3 are basically chrome....

:choppersm

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts

You can tell what the spec number is by looking at the sticker on the frame of the bike...it will says R1 or R2 or of course R3....The only difference in the 3 are basically chrome....

And a blackened engine.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a great day. :patriot: Sorry, can't help with 1800, I ride the 1300.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
welcome to the cafe. will say that there are no stupid questions, but i guarantee you that you will think you'll get some stupid answers. then you find out, it's the one you needed to get your mod, the right part, your x running wonderfully, and you'll say the same thing to someone else. ask anything here, you'll get your answers! welcome

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome from Sunny Southern Alberta ..... not sure if I've been around long enough to be welcoming anyone ...
On the windshield thing, I had a Hondaline windshield on my 1300, but it was awkward to remove, and I like riding around town without it. You know how inconvenient 5 minutes is ..... I added the Hondaline windshield lowers primarily because of the way the mount.
I replaced the OEM windshiled with a Memphis Shades and really liked the Trigger Lock System You can use the same mount for a number of different windshields or even a fairing and they're on & off in a couple seconds. And yes, the National Cycle Switchblades are made of Lexan they're very nice & almost indestructible. My 1800 has a Hondaline (OEM) windshield on it and I'll likely replace it with a Memphis Shades because I'll ultimately be adding a fairing somewhere along the line.
Sorry I really wasn't much help.... waffle ... waffle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Where on the frame would I find the sticker?

Dale

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wandering Bear's link to the Spec. 1 - 3's descriptions is correct for the newer models VTX. The 2005 R, Spec. 3 has a chrome radiator grill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts