Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals. I have acquired a 2002 VTX1800 with now 9800 miles on the clock. I love this bike but the clutch issue is driving me to drink. When cold I have great clutch, wants to pull the front tire off the ground and around 1/4" free play before it disengages. As it warms up I loose all free play and clutch to the point where I need to let it cool down so I can get it home. I have changed all brake and clutch fluid yet the issue persists. I purchased a set of Barrett springs but feel the is another issue unrelated to spring pressure. have any of you had this issue and how did you correct it?
Thanks, Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
re-bleed the clutch system.. it should NOT change with engine temperature..
its a very SMALL system. one little bubble will cause this issue.

often the bubble is trapped at the Banjo bolt..
you can bleed using the bolt of the banjo connection.. just be careful not to get fluid on the paint..

another extremely low Mileage VTX..
my 2005 has 91,000 miles, I got it New.
I have never road it on a trip. never road to work or to a store.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM..

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,205 Posts
I assume the usual front brake "trick" would apply to clutch as well?
Holding lever pulled in for overnight. Gets any last bubbles a chance to rise past the valve and out of the line.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
9,050 Posts
What type of engine oil are you using? Must be free of energy saving friction additives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, we are on the same page and this is what I was thinking as well. It has been bleed with a vacuum pump and the old school way but I will try the bolt today. Thanks for the warm welcome, build on...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That did the trick. To help the bubble get to the bleed screw I put a couple of 2 by 4s on the ground and leaned it over to the right, I think I saw 6 small bubbles. Thanks guys, Peter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts