Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so like my name says I am new to the world of bikes...

Is it possible to swap the brakes around, I have a fused ankle bone so braking with my right foot is kinda difficult, My question is this, moving the back break from the foot to the hand brake is it possible? Anyway thanks for the info yet again....

Oh if I am posting in the wrong thread please tell me so I can post in the correct thread, Thanks...

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Ive never heard of moving the brake to the other side. Doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been done.. but you really don't (or shouldn't) use the rear brake much at all, except for certain situations.

But then you would also be looking at shifting with the "bad side" which would be used Way more than the brake would (or should) be used.

-Gonz

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Moving it to the bars would mean activating all 3 calipers with one lever. I've never heard of that being done. If you use the gears to slow you down the fronts should work just fine for normal stops. Is this a temp thing or are you looking for a permenant mod?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
your brakes are linked, and that is worked by the rear brake pedal only. That is a problem if you need to stop fast, like real fast. Your hand brake works two calipers on two front wheel rotors, and should be fine for 95 percent of all stopping needs. I dont see a right to left switch happening either easily, practically or without great expense.
Sorry, Bry

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
the front brake does most of the stopping so you should be ok......I would try practicing braking in an empty parking lot with your right foot.....you will have to push the brake with your leg instead of your foot which will become a natural thing to do...much easier than modifying your bike

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you have adjustable highway pegs it may be an option to brake with your heal.
I had an old shadow that with the highway pegs i could brake and shift with
my heals. I agree with the most front brake.
I agree that switching sides would be cost prohibitive.
I do love the integrated brakes on the 1800.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I'm not as negative as the other guys. I don't know how the brake lines are plumbed on an 1800 but it sounds as simple as some custom brake hydraulic lines. Plumb the front master cylinder to the back lines and plumb the back master cylinder to the front. You would have to make sure you plumbed in prior to the back splitter and the line routing could be messy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Interesting concept. You could run all three calipers off of the
front brake master cylinder. Logically that would work.
And just use the foot brake to work the brake light (joke).

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I agree that the front brake is 70% of your stopping force, however in a panic stop or in rain you "Do Not" want to be using just the front brake or you'll probably get to know the asphalt better than anyone should.

As said above I'm not sure how the plumbing works on the 18's linked system, but I'm sure something could be done with the hand lever to help out your situation. It could also be as easy as making your rear brake pedal taller to increase the leverage ratio so it would take less foot pressure to push it.
(I'm the type that doesn't believe things can't be done just because it hasn't been done yet... it's just a matter of how bad you want it :D)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I noticed you only posted as having a 1800 VTX. Which 1?
The R/S/N has a brake pedal similar to a car/truck. therefore you can lift your foot and use your leg to compress the pedal. Probably take some time getting use to though.

This is nothing but a thought

dd
:patriot:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ok so like my name says I am new to the world of bikes...

Is it possible to swap the brakes around, I have a fused ankle bone so braking with my right foot is kinda difficult, My question is this, moving the back break from the foot to the hand brake is it possible? Anyway thanks for the info yet again....

Oh if I am posting in the wrong thread please tell me so I can post in the correct thread, Thanks...
It would be very very very simple to do.
On the front brake caliper, get a short brake line custom made, about 6", and get two double length banjo bolts, common on Honda motorcycles, and use the short brake line to "jumper" the two banjo bolts on the front caliper. That would link your fronts to your rears, and not disable your rear pedal.
The only caveat here is the lack of a proportioning valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts