Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· The guitar, not the fish!
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scored a set of VN Customs drop bags and fender back in September that have never been on a bike....Had Jen help me get the bike up on the operating table last weekend, and today I pulled the old stuff off and kinda got the fender mocked up....Couldn't get the stock inner fender structure in there right, so looks like I'll have to do some Dremel work in there to get the clearance I need...

Held the bags up to the fender and I'll have to reshape the bottom of both bags for exhaust clearance...And the right bag is made to work with the stock exhaust, so the floor is pretty high...I'll be cutting that out and making that bag deeper inside and this bike won't ever see a set of stock VTX pipes again...lol...

And of course I'll be adding speakers in the lids, and have a cool idea in my head for the license plate mount that I've never seen done before...Also taking the opportunity to do some modifications to the fairing that I've had brewing in my head for a good five years or so....

Lots of fiberglass work in my future...:cool:

Attachments

· Registered
18,785 Posts
We all followed your work on your ride(s) over the years, your work speaks for itself. Keep the routine posts & pix coming, Bill.

33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ever since I finished Jen's Shadow 1100 I wanted to extend the bags and rear fender on mine, as the gap bugged the crap out of me... But the way the fender and bags taper in towards the center I wasn't sure how I was gonna be able to extend the bags and fender and make it look right....Then this setup popped up for sale and I jumped on it...Got some cool ideas in my head for rear lighting if I can make it work...Got some testing to do first as I'm wanting to do a color change also...

Cool thing is there's no rush on this...I bought a '15 GL1800 F6B summer of last year, so I have a nice bike to ride if I don't get this wrapped up by springtime...

Attachments

· Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,396 Posts
Not many of the old crowd on here but haven't seen you post anything in the other place. Looks like you making progress.

33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And first surprise....

Drilled the holes out to mount the fender yesterday, today went to fit the inner structure and it wouldn't fit...Did some sanding inside the fender to get that to fit right and realized I drilled the holes slightly off...No biggie, I can fill em in and start over...Sanded the primer down and found that the holes had already been drilled previously (opposite of what I was told when I bought this stuff) and filled back in with body filler....🤦‍♂️

So out came the Dremel, ground out all the body filler and now filling the holes in with fiberglass...Let this cure and next weekend try drilling the holes in the correct locations next time...🙄

In retrospect, I'm glad I drilled them wring and I found the bondo now so I can fix it before it became a bigger issue and started chipping out....

Attachments

· X Virgin
5,236 Posts
I don't get here as much as I used to by far....first time in months.
Life has gotten busy, kids getting older, first grandkid came along, Mom's needing more help (92), did a huge addition on the house over the last 2 years (COVID), work is crazy, just not enough time to ride.

I'm hoping things will be back to normal next year.

· Registered
18,785 Posts
I don't get here as much as I used to by far....first time in months.
Life has gotten busy, kids getting older, first grandkid came along, Mom's needing more help (92), did a huge addition on the house over the last 2 years (COVID), work is crazy, just not enough time to ride.

I'm hoping things will be back to normal next year.
I think of the new terminology: The NEW Normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts