Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 1300C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I’m trying to buy a combination communication/Bluetooth device. Most of my riding, over 90% will be solo. But I’d love the ability have conversations with riders when I do meet up with buds for riding. So the things I want are:

• Bluetooth
  • Great Sound
  • Connection with at least 4 riders

What do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
I use a Sena SMH10. It has intercom with other users of helmet communication devices, bluetooth with phone for music, phone calls, and GPS and also bluetooth with a GPS system for GPS if you prefer that to your phone. I recommend using the mounting bracket into which you can insert an ear bud plug and use the in-the-ear-canal type ear buds to simultaneously deliver sound and block out ambient noise thus protecting your hearing. Ambient road noise at highway speeds is over 100 dB which, if this were a job site, would require hearing protection by OSHA regulations. I have taken business phone calls at 80 mph and they could not even tell I was on a bike. The sound is much more dependent on the speakers and anything except in-the-ear-canal type speakers will always struggle with the level of ambient noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a Sena SMH10. It has intercom with other users of helmet communication devices, bluetooth with phone for music, phone calls, and GPS and also bluetooth with a GPS system for GPS if you prefer that to your phone. I recommend using the mounting bracket into which you can insert an ear bud plug and use the in-the-ear-canal type ear buds to simultaneously deliver sound and block out ambient noise thus protecting your hearing. Ambient road noise at highway speeds is over 100 dB which, if this were a job site, would require hearing protection by OSHA regulations. I have taken business phone calls at 80 mph and they could not even tell I was on a bike. The sound is much more dependent on the speakers and anything except in-the-ear-canal type speakers will always struggle with the level of ambient noise.
I can second the Sena SMH10. Sena's original bluetooth communicator has everything you want, and nothing you don't. I too use mine with a the optional base that allows earbud use. I can also vouch for callers not being able to tell that I'm riding a bike at 80mph. However, Send has stopped manufacturing or selling the optional earbud base (Part #SMH-A0303). So unless you find one as New Old Stock (NOS), or a used one from someone on Ebay you'll be out of luck.

There is one guy on Ebay that sells a modified base:

I'd still recommend the SMH10 with the helmet speakers. It's a rock solid unit that hasn't failed me through 60,000 miles of drops, driving rainstorms, and other assorted abuse.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think this is the helmet most of us must use. I have the same ones for my bike. I listen to the radio on mine when I am riding and my wife blue tooths her phone to hers so she can watch video's. It's an awesome helmet and doesn't weigh a hundred pounds.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
I think this is the helmet most of us must use. I have the same ones for my bike. I listen to the radio on mine when I am riding and my wife blue tooths her phone to hers so she can watch video's. It's an awesome helmet and doesn't weigh a hundred pounds.
What I am describing is NOT a helmet. It is a helmet communication system (SENA brand) and a specific mounting bracket. These can attach to any helmet that you want. I attached mine to a cheap half-helmet.

Reactions: a2rbnud

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use cardo pactalk bold. I mostly ride by myself but have had the wife on back. We were able to talk at a normal volume. I enjoy listening to the radio or Spotify music while alone. I have also ridden with a friend who had one and also didn't have to raise our voice to communicate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A friend had Sena, and after trying my Cardo Packtalk Bold he converted to Cardo. Cardo gives you bluetooth to the phone, you can make calls and answer, listen to MPS, and its range is fantastic. Straight line of site is near a mile. Plus once paired, they automatically couple. Do your research for yourself, but investigate Cardo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use cardo pactalk bold. I mostly ride by myself but have had the wife on back. We were able to talk at a normal volume. I enjoy listening to the radio or Spotify music while alone. I have also ridden with a friend who had one and also didn't have to raise our voice to communicate.
The Cardo Pactalk Bold is a solidly performing unit. However, I cannot vouch for long term shock and water proofing.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
A friend had Sena, and after trying my Cardo Packtalk Bold he converted to Cardo. Cardo gives you bluetooth to the phone, you can make calls and answer, listen to MPS, and its range is fantastic. Straight line of site is near a mile. Plus once paired, they automatically couple. Do your research for yourself, but investigate Cardo.
All of the features you describe are present in the SENA unit as well. It would appear both have great functionality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All,

I’m trying to buy a combination communication/Bluetooth device. Most of my riding, over 90% will be solo. But I’d love the ability have conversations with riders when I do meet up with buds for riding. So the things I want are:

• Bluetooth
  • Great Sound
  • Connection with at least 4 riders

What do you recommend?
Really happy with Sena50-S. Good sound, easy to use, haven't used the mesh option yet, still using bluetooth bike to bike. There was some sort of sound upgrade for the 30 that was included in the 50

1 - 11 of 11 Posts