Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 VTX 1300C
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever come across an instructional DVD on how to adjust valves? There are a couple of mini home made ones on youtube that aren't that good. I did see a general motorcycle maintenance DVD for sale on Amazon, but it didn't cover valves. I'd really like to do my own, but I'd practice on a lawn mower first if I had one before I'd tear apart my new bike without any experience whatsoever.

·
C'MON THE HOOPS
793 Posts
I have not seen any video about that process. I jumped in using the pictures and directions shown in the various threads here and on the other x site. While it takes awhile teh first time, I think I got it right - 700 miles and still running ok....

the directions and pics worked really well, and I never wrenched a bike until I did the valves, slotted the AF screw, and oil change based on instructions and advice on here. Besides, if you really think you've screwed it up you can then take it in and pay the stealer $180 to 300 to do the valves...

·
C'MON THE HOOPS
793 Posts
thats the one, thanks Epi! THere's another by roogie out there someplace too...

·
Premium Member
2007 VTX 1300C
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I've seen those pics before by poison, but I guess they just didn't make me feel confident enough to take the plunge. Could point about always being able to take to a dealer if you really hosed things up. I will give it an attempt, but watching a focused video on the process by someone who knows that they are doing would be something good to watch the night before I start.

Cyberhick- If you film it, they will come. The motorcycle maintenance video on Amazon is $25, but it doesn't cover valves and is not specific to the VTX. There is a market for a 'how to' video specific to VTXs (Or Hondas in general). One doesn't exist and I was looking to buy one last night.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Since I did the CTR install video, I have contemplated doing a general maintainance DVD for the X covering Valves, Pair Valve removal, Wheel removal, Engine oil Change, Final drive gear oil change. Fork oil change, and steering head bearing replacement. It would take a bit to get all the footage, and compile it all. I would also need a damn near stock bike to start with. I just don't know if the demand would justify the time involved to produce it.

·
K'ville King
677 Posts
Since I did the CTR install video, I have contemplated doing a general maintainance DVD for the X covering Valves, Pair Valve removal, Wheel removal, Engine oil Change, Final drive gear oil change. Fork oil change, and steering head bearing replacement. It would take a bit to get all the footage, and compile it all. I would also need a damn near stock bike to start with. I just don't know if the demand would justify the time involved to produce it.
If it was detailed enough and had a call number or website for consult if something wasn't clear, I would pay about $50 for a DVD covering all those things. It would definetly save me hundreds from taking it to the stealer to do it.

·
Premium Member
2007 VTX 1300C
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that does sound like a lot of work. On the upside, every additional DVD you sell only costs you a blank disc and the time to copy. I'm not sure how many hours that would take to do, how much you'd want to earn/hour during that time to figure out your 'break-even' point. Only you can answer that.

All I can say is that I would have interest in such a product and I'd imagine there are others. Here is a link to your would be competition if you ever decided to go for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Mainten...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1215654420&sr=1-1

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,421 Posts
mine is very stock....as far as those things go...spend a week here and we'll do the video!

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it was detailed enough and had a call number or website for consult if something wasn't clear, I would pay about $50 for a DVD covering all those things. It would definetly save me hundreds from taking it to the stealer to do it.
Detail and clarity certainly wouldn't be an issue. Call center style support would be though. We're just not a big enough organization to run a dedicated call center. E-mail support might be an option.

·
Premium Member
2007 VTX 1300C
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motives- to make some money in return for some hard work. It's the American way! Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Motives- to make some money in return for some hard work. It's the American way! Nothing wrong with that.
Fact is I run a business. In order to stay in business, the company has to make money. Period. Even small things like duplicating DVDs, e-mail, and call support cost me my time. But the statement seemed to suggest that I do nothing without trying to make money off of folks. I think MOST folks who have been around VTX Café or VTXOA know that is far from the reality. Aside from the thousands of dollars worth of merchandise I have given away for X Rider Tech Sessions, X Riders state rallys and meets, Christmas giveaways, and downed rider auctions, I have done free service and installs of numerous products (not just the ones I sell) on more X Rider rides than I can remember. And to top I off, my website markets products for other small business vendors at NO COST to those vendors or the customer. So before painting me in such a dim light, make sure you know who I am first.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I was talking Epi's motives

THe only problem I could see is there are some that will copy and that would cut into the bottom line, bottome line is everything we do cost time and that time is $$$

My boss hit me with a print last night, it is a real pisser of a job a prototype for Fox Shocks lots of real close tolerances with drilling and milling work the real pisser is it is .050 to large of diameter for my cnc swiss machines which could do all but one of the features in one opperation, I am looking at 9 different set ups to do the part between a omniturn and a bridgeport mill.

His words were you like a challenge

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was talking Epi's motives

THe only problem I could see is there are some that will copy and that would cut into the bottom line, bottome line is everything we do cost time and that time is $$$

My boss hit me with a print last night, it is a real pisser of a job a prototype for Fox Shocks lots of real close tolerances with drilling and milling work the real pisser is it is .050 to large of diameter for my cnc swiss machines which could do all but one of the features in one opperation, I am looking at 9 different set ups to do the part between a omniturn and a bridgeport mill.

His words were you like a challenge

I appologize then for speaking too soon.

BTW, sounds like you need a Mazak Integrex.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I have 3 star KJR 16 mm swiss 5 axis capable of 12 live tools and 3 omniturns, along with that I get the B&S machines then when it is slow there are the 16 davenports.

What the heck I can always do more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts