Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i don't think i'm getting good protection from the lowers and memphis shades windshield...i'm interested in stalling a fairing on my vtx1300 for wind protection...can't take the wind anymore.

i'd really like to test drive a 1300 with a fairing before getting a fairing. i was wondering if there are any vtx 1300 owners with a fairing in sacramento and surrounding areas that would allow me to test drive their bike so that i can see for my self how beneficial the investment will be...you can PM me. thank you!!

Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
If you are looking for wind protection, and want tunes, you wont even need a test ride. It's worth it! You know your gonna do it!

If you have buffiting issues after install, you may have to so tweak and do a few addons.

Be sure to get a batwing mount that uses the triple trees, not fork clamps (Tsukayu batwings have this option, make sure before buying)
Get whatever shield comes with it (don't spend extra on the batwing order) you will want to order the proper shield after based on your measurements (I went longrideshields recurved)
Angle the batwing as close to the fork angle as possible
Memphis Shades has lower wind deflectors (this minimizes wind coming up under the batwing between the tank and batwing)

These are some notes that I followed when buying mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks sparky and JPT. a trip to CO sounds like fun...where in CO are you?

primary goal is wind protection only....that is why i was thinking of the empty shell ones too like the Memphis shade batwing because it was less expensive.

got it on the attachment point and windshield note. thx for the pointers.

Registered
thanks sparky and JPT. a trip to CO sounds like fun...where in CO are you?

primary goal is wind protection only....that is why i was thinking of the empty shell ones too like the Memphis shade batwing because it was less expensive.

got it on the attachment point and windshield note. thx for the pointers.
I'm not 100% sure you have all the same options with the shell only batwings (shield height, triple tree mount,...). You may be better off getting a full batwing without a stereo (no stereo/speaker cutouts). Then if you want to add tunes later, you will have the option without losing money. Most people I know, end up wanting tunes, might as well plan so you have the option without losing money.

Reactions: footprintsinconc

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point... in that case full batwing

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
I am about 20 miles South of Denver in Lone Tree, CO.
I had forgotten you moved to CO. Enjoying it so far? I am only 30-40 minutes WNW of you!

Super Moderator
I had forgotten you moved to CO. Enjoying it so far? I am only 30-40 minutes WNW of you!
Yes I am, have gone on several rides in the Rockies with Henkvdb when I first got here and we have done several rides on the plains this winter when the weather has gotten into the 50's. We usually end up doing around 250 miles there abouts per ride. We need to get together and ride when we get a nice day! 30 or 40 minutes WNW would put you pretty close to Henk I would be thinking, does that put you North of Morrison?

Jim

Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
Yes I am, have gone on several rides in the Rockies with Henkvdb when I first got here and we have done several rides on the plains this winter when the weather has gotten into the 50's. We usually end up doing around 250 miles there abouts per ride. We need to get together and ride when we get a nice day! 30 or 40 minutes WNW would put you pretty close to Henk I would be thinking, does that put you North of Morrison?

Jim
Just SE. I'm right at CO-470 and HWY 285

Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...Be sure to get a batwing mount that uses the triple trees, not fork clamps (Tsukayu batwings have this option, make sure before buying)
so i was on their site...they have a covered for or non-covered fork option....do you have a picture or a diagram that shows how it mounts to the tripple tree and not the forks?

Registered
It uses the head light housing bolts (on the lower triple tree), and the Clutch/throttle wire retainer bolts (on the bottom of the upper triple tree). Since the C and R/S/T triple trees are the same, just tell them you have a VTX1300R, that will ensure you get the triple tree mount style. The R/S/T bikes have a plastic chrome cover on the forks, so they are called covered forks. Because of this, it is not ideal to mount heavy things to this cover.

This video from their library shows how to install the mounts. This is for an R/S/T model, you can see the plastic chrome covers on the forks between the triple trees:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts