Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i put an order in on the 21st of July for progressive 412's in 12" and haven't received anything yet. Not even a tracking #. So i called the company that I ordered from today (the link is company I ordered from). Guy I spoke to was same one that told me their supplier is right down the street. He said they are getting them trickling in one order here and there. He also said he would refund me the price and if I didn't want to wait could order the MB shocks with no wait. But, the whole country is out of them (which is I think accurate). Progressive told me this was a result of this #@[email protected] virus!
My shocks are shot. I was wondering if anybody has tried the MB shocks. They are a little bit less $. They have good reviews. Im sure anything will be better than mine. Should I get the 11 .5"? Thats the biggest length they come in. Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have MB shocks. They're a bit harsh in my personal opinion, but bearable. I am running the 10.5 and drag my exhaust on a lot of turns.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
So, i put an order in on the 21st of July for progressive 412's in 12" and haven't received anything yet. Not even a tracking #. So i called the company that I ordered from today (the link is company I ordered from). Guy I spoke to was same one that told me their supplier is right down the street. He said they are getting them trickling in one order here and there. He also said he would refund me the price and if I didn't want to wait could order the MB shocks with no wait. But, the whole country is out of them (which is I think accurate). Progressive told me this was a result of this #@[email protected] virus!
My shocks are shot. I was wondering if anybody has tried the MB shocks. They are a little bit less $. They have good reviews. Im sure anything will be better than mine. Should I get the 11 .5"? Thats the biggest length they come in. Thanks
I have MB 12.25" entry level gas shocks. I'm happy with what I got for what I paid. I had extensive contact, email and calls, to the Chief, @ Wild Biker Customs in NJ, a dealer for the MB's. 11.5 the longest, is incorrect, unless they've changed. Mine are stock length.

·
Registered
My other bike is a Turbo Busa
54 Posts
I've got Serious Beef with Progressive Shocks. I've spoken to Customer Service and Tech Support and they got scared of me. One representative says he doesn't even work for the Company, and I asked him well Who exactly do you work for. He refrained to answer and hung up the phone on me. Another Chicken Little Company run by Libs and striking Border Bros. Steer Clear.

I lucked out and got a set of Forsa Shocks. Their cheap and their bushings are working really well. They are a pressed metal bushing. Bushing Flex bothers me. They ride better than the 2 sets of Progressives I owned. 11.5 is the biggest they make. Here's a link:

If money is no limitation check out Race Tech Suspension. They make a GS-3 Shock that I'm sure they can build to 12 or 12.25 factory ride height

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300r
12 Posts
Racetech kicks ass! 1.0 kg/mm with the valve emulators up front and I'm very happy. I weigh 250 lbs and ride fast/aggressive on my commuter 1300R.

Haven't swapped the rear from the original factory shocks though. Do they get contaminated? Probably not, right?

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
The stock shocks have been known to crack, leak. Not common, but it does happen. When it happens its usually the chrome shroud that separates from the top of the shock. When the shock rubber is worn out and isn't readily replaced, the impacts have to go somewhere and are more noticeable with metal to metal shock and vibration.

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,703 Posts
I've tried many variations of OEM shocks/bushings. MB shocks. Progressive shocks. Even bought custom milled bushings. Tried brass bushings too. The Progressive 412's were the HD version. Very harsh ride and messed up the bushings too often. Same for the MB. Both of these are ENTRY LEVEL shocks so you get what you pay for. Bought an upgraded set of Progressive 430's 11-12-2015. Been an excellent shock, very adjustable and the same bushings are fine. There is another level and many on here and the OA use them.
Have to give a shout out to MR VTX for his posts about RaceTech. I did the change over in my forks to the RaceTech upgrade (turns the forks into a shock that controls rebound both ways). Love my RaceTech set up. If their rear shocks are just a good as their fork upgrade, it might be something to consider. That's my shock story which began 6-15-2011 with the 412 HD's.
But, 9 years of fiddling with shocks is nothing compared to somebody like SilverF -- old school Honda mechanic (y)(y)

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
I have to agree with sumdatx. I too went to the Race Tech Gold Cartridge emulators!!!!! Probably the second best money that I have spent on upgrading the bike!!! The best money spent was for the Ultimate riders and passengers seat set with the riders back rest!!!! Makes a 600 mile a day ride a piece of cake!

·
Registered
My other bike is a Turbo Busa
54 Posts
At the end of the year when I put my bike up I'm going to order a set of Race tech springs and emulators. Perfect winter project. Will just need a decent space heater

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Thanks Blackcherry it's nice to know I've been missed!!! Been one Hell of a year so far, but another month or so and the move to Colorado will be completed. Maybe things can get back to normal for us then!!!!!!!
All us regulars have missed ya, Sparky!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts