Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
Long time reader, first time poster.
I have a 2003 vtx 1300s i believe this ia the model with a duel filter and fuel pump. I have had her tore down twice now and still cant get things right. I am an airbrusher and fabricator. I am not by any stretch a mechanic. My truck just got totaled out and the X is my only mode of transportation. I bypassed the safety switch on the kick stand. Ive cut up the top of the air box. Handle bars have been cut apart and re welded to my liking gnarly enduro tire up front. I did swap out 2 plugs NGK for champs afterwords i found out i have 4 plugs. Im going to put in 4 new ngk plugs gapped to .8mm. Im not getting fuel. Starts w starting fluid for about 3 revolutions. Fuel pump? Filter?

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts
Hey everyone.
I have a 2003 vtx 1300s i believe this ia the model with a duel filter and fuel pump. I have had her tore down twice now and still cant get things right. I am an airbrusher and fabricator. I am not by any stretch a mechanic. My truck just got totaled out and the X is my only mode of transportation. I bypassed the safety switch on the kick stand. Ive cut up the top of the air box. Handle bars have been cut apart and re welded to my liking gnarly enduro tire up front. I did swap out 2 plugs NGK for champs afterwords i found out i have 4 plugs. Im going to put in 4 new ngk plugs gapped to .8mm. Im not getting fuel. Starts w starting fluid for about 3 revolutions. Fuel pump? Filter?
Need to be more specific, Thornton where. I live about 25 miles from Thornton, CA

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,075 Posts
Sounds like your fuel pump died.

First you should check fuses and test it to see if you can get it back to life. If that fails just bypass it.

You can switch out to a vacuum driven petcock (I would) OR use that current petcock to get fuel flowing but you have to remember to shut it off because it will always flow when on.

I'd go with getting your petcock to flow first and see how that goes then just swap parts to a vacuum petcock to avoid the headache of remembering to switch off all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your fuel pump died.

First you should check fuses and test it to see if you can get it back to life. If that fails just bypass it.

You can switch out to a vacuum driven petcock (I would) OR use that current petcock to get fuel flowing but you have to remember to shut it off because it will always flow when on.

I'd go with getting your petcock to flow first and see how that goes then just swap parts to a vacuum petcock to avoid the headache of remembering to switch off all the time.

I got er licked i jumped the fuel line after I rerouted the 3/8" afuel line to the top of the carb. It still worked. I also had to bypass the safety switch on the side stand. She runs now so that isnt uncool. Thanks you guys!2

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,075 Posts
I got er licked i jumped the fuel line after I rerouted the 3/8" afuel line to the top of the carb. It still worked. I also had to bypass the safety switch on the side stand. She runs now so that isnt uncool. Thanks you guys!2
Remember if you bypassed the fuel pump you MUST always set petcock to off when your bike is parked.

Side stand switch is another thing. Might just need some cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts
Remove side stand and clean and lube switch and that should take care of it. There is a reason they put that switch there. Forget to put it up start down the road, try to make a left turn and it can put you on the ground. Been there, almost done that back in the day!!!

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Hey everyone.
Lucky, I live only 15 miles west of you, but the mechanical skills I have to offer is practically zero, though I am still very proud of cleaning my starter switch once. And even that was only after a stay at Holiday Inn Express. :giggle:
But I see you're up and running again. Yes, there always is a huge amount of help on the Cafe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts