Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookiing at some heated gear...would cost me around $500 for all of it: pants, jacket, gloves, and 'troller. That's a lot of coin to use maybe 10 times a year.

Anybody else regret shelling out the bucks for heated gear, or are you glad you did?

CW

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Didn't, or haven't spent that much yet. But I don't have a jacket, but instead a "warming bib", way less expensive. Don't have any heated pants, yet, but do have the gloves. I don't regret buying either, I'm seriously considering getting the pants now, it would be less layering. I don't think anyone would tellyou they regret buying heated gear unless they lived & rode in an area that would only require the gear on rare occasion. You'll be surprised how often you'll want to get out & ride when otherwise the temps would've kept you off the bike.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Humm TN is pretty much very similar to NC winter climate.

Trust me, you will use it more than 10 times a year if you ride year round.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have socks, pants, jacket, gloves. went on a ride thursday, temp was 11 degrees. went 100 miles only use it for rides longer than 30 miles.:choppersm

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Humm TN is pretty much very similar to NC winter climate.

Trust me, you will use it more than 10 times a year if you ride year round.
I ride year-round, but typically just layer-up, and don't get cold. Base layer, mock turtle, wool sweater, wind block layer, and riding jacket. Flannel-lined pants, lined and armored overpants. Wool socks and riding boots. El cheapo Lands End ski gloves.

Heated gear would be so much more comfortable due to loss of all that bulk. I've just gotta convince Santa!

CW

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
CWCobra, that's exactly part of the reason I started looking into heated gear, bundling up until you look like the kid on Christmas Story, is not comfortable, or even not safe to ride that way, that, and it tends to get a bit cold in this part of the country during the winter.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i have firstgear gloves(made by warm and safe) and gerbing jacket and my use first gear overpants non-heated.i stay warm even down to 30.actually should start looking for heated gear at end of winter prices are cheaper.got my jacket with controller for $110.00 and gloves for 98.00.where ever you look for gear look for coupons.here's gerbing's outlet store's website http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket with liner and HT overpants with liner. I wear a tee shirt with a light fleece jacket and fleece lined jeans. I ride year round In south Alabama and the only thing that gets cold is my hands. I got a pair of gerbings classic gloves and love them. I am good for 100 mile trips into the teens with no problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I realize I'm a fair ways to the north; but I can't imagine NOT having heated gear. Just the jacket liner and gloves (Tourmaster) for me. I find that my legs and feet are fine between long johns under my jeans, chaps over my jeans and the engine guard chaps, that surprisingly make a big difference. Up here if you want to get the most of the riding season heated gear is essential. I couldn't live without it now :icon_yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts