Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here in GA its been snowing for a good part of the day. Not hard, and its not sticking, but I just had to ride to work anyway.

Anyone else ride today, weather be damned?

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
If you tuned into the bears game today, you got an idea of what the weathers been like since Friday night. Went out to the garage and started it though. Didn't think about taking it out if the garage. 28 degrees, 30 mph wind, and frozen roads. No thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
crazy about the dome in minnesota, huh? Game's gonna be played tomorrow nite in detroit. I havent seen a switch like that since Katrina. No snow on long island today, just sheets of sideways rain. ugh..

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I think Cev's only means of transportation is his bike...so I guess in that situation ya gotta do what ya gotta do..:cool:
Any transportation is bettr than none but man Cev, that's gotta be cold!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Cev's only means of transportation is his bike...so I guess in that situation ya gotta do what ya gotta do..:cool:
Well, I did get my truck fixed last month... But gas is so expensive!!!

First Gear over-pants, a couple layers under a leather jacket, acrylic wool socks, Balaclava, and Motoboss Talon gloves and I was... if not exactly toasty, relatively comfortable. Even with the warmest gloves I can find my hands still get cold after about half an hour though. I think the next step is a batwing fairing to keep the wind off my hands.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Snow and I are not compatible, it is the other drivers that concern me most. Getting bundled up keeps you warm but really hampers your ability to control the bike in slippery situtations.These folks sell some small packets that really work well. WWW.warmers.com keep the wheels under you and the bike off of you.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If snow starts sticking on the roads... Yeah, I'm off the bike... That only happens about once a year down here 'round Atlanta GA though, so I'm good :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's been dry here, but I've learned about the coldest I'd not want to ride in. Last Monday was day two of the MSF class and I wanted to try the VTX out on-course (figuring I was 4 hours from legal, it was a risk I was willing to take)

24 degrees is TOO COLD to ride in. :p The roads were dry, but kinda greazy...my gear was okay, but my helmet kept fogging up at the lights and the gloves weren't quite enough. Lastly, it was pretty tough getting the choke right to keep it running. I don't think it every really got warmed up.

The 50 degrees that afternoon was downright tropical!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
For a quick hit of heat - I bought some of the chemical hand warmers on Amazon the other day. 40 pairs for $24. They slip in the top of your gloves - between the glove and your hand. Last 10 hours. Only drawback is they take about 20 minutes to really get warm - so you have to remember to activate them before you hit the road.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Definitely wouldn't been riding in the snow here, intermettent flurries, with winds gusting to 30-49mph, accumulation of about 3-4 inches overall, all on top of a high of about 25*f......Was almost exactly looking like it did in Chicago down here today....bbrrrrrr

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought about a quick jaunt for a minute today but I came to my senses! It's just to darn cold even down here. Going down to 16 tonight they say(good grief!). I hate winters.................SemperFi:coffee:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ahhh...winter in So Cal...!

I decided to venture out today.... ended up riding 154 miles.... tough conditions here in So Cal... 75 degrees, clear skies, unlimited visibility, sunny etc. Cruised Hwy 1 thru Malibu and adjacent beach areas. Absolutely beautiful! Just another December day in California!!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I decided to venture out today.... ended up riding 154 miles.... tough conditions here in So Cal... 75 degrees, clear skies, unlimited visibility, sunny etc. Cruised Hwy 1 thru Malibu and adjacent beach areas. Absolutely beautiful! Just another December day in California!!
Sure just rub it in!! I actually rode to work today. Checked weather.com yesterday and it said the rain would stop by 3am. Well my first 43 miles to work it was dry and 39*f. The next 6 miles damp and a light drizzle for the last mile. An hour later, it started snowing and is now sticking to everything but pavement. Glad I keep a cover for the bike here at work. As long as the roads don't freeze, I'll be riding home tomorrow morning.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts