Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Guardrail
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals. I just had lap band surgery and was wondering if anyone else here had that or any other weight lose surgeries done. I'm off the bike for a while but can't wait to get back on. I've already lost about 20 lbs. so that's awesome. If enough people are interested, maybe we could get a member group started. just a thought.:coffee:

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Never had this type of surgery but, between mid-January and the end of April of this year I lost between 60 - 70 or so pounds (not sure what my weight was when I started). Went from a 46" waist (on a good day) to a steady 36" now. All I did was cut back on my eating about 50%. Continued to eat whatever I wanted just half of what I would have normally eaten.
If you think mods and addons for your bike rape your credit cards just wait until you have to start buying new clothes. Good luck.

·
Administrator
3,395 Posts
That's pretty interesting. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you? Did your insurance cover any of the cost?

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
Never had this type of surgery but, between mid-January and the end of April of this year I lost between 60 - 70 or so pounds (not sure what my weight was when I started). Went from a 46" waist (on a good day) to a steady 36" now. All I did was cut back on my eating about 50%. Continued to eat whatever I wanted just half of what I would have normally eaten.
If you think mods and addons for your bike rape your credit cards just wait until you have to start buying new clothes. Good luck.
big pat on the back and congratulations to you

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
In Hampton Virginia at Sentara CarePlex the hospital bill was $18185.34. That does not include all the preoperative jumping through hoops and getting qualified through the insurance company. It also does not include the post operative visits where you will have the band adjusted. No matter what the cost, it is worth it. Savings in prescription medications to keep hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apena, cardiac disease, orthopedic involvement, liver damage and other vital organs from disease and destruction from happening with the disease process of morbid obesity. The Lap Band is just a tool to help the owner become successful in their health management. The Lap Band if used correctly will help the quality and quantity of life. Cheers and good luck with your new self. Keep getting your protein! Need them muscles to ride your VTX.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Guys and gals. I just had lap band surgery and was wondering if anyone else here had that or any other weight lose surgeries done. I'm off the bike for a while but can't wait to get back on. I've already lost about 20 lbs. so that's awesome. If enough people are interested, maybe we could get a member group started. just a thought.:coffee:
Yep, have had mine for 5 years. Congratulations and good luck losing! I had major surgery a while back and had to have the band deflated for that, so I've gained a few, but when I'm maintaining my total weight loss is around 145-150 lbs.

I weighed 354 at the time of my surgery, and I generally try to maintain anywhere between 200-210. I actually did make it down to my "ideal" weight of 185, but even though the books say that weight is ideal for me, I felt weak and my doc fussed at me a bit, so we came up with the 200-ish figure. I'm kinda big boned anyway, so I carry that weight real well. Probably could carry a few more without harm, but I'm comfortable where I'm at.

The key is to not overinflate that band and get it too tight. If you start getting what are called "night coughs" where you cough for no reason, you're too tight. It's a precursor to reflux, and means your food isn't going down. Eat slow, don't drink for an hour after your meals, and get good protein in your meals.

I wouldn't trade my band for anything.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Congrats on the wight loss!!!....My fiancee' started weight watchers in October of '06, and so far has lost 49 pounds...Hell that's a small child!!!...I need to lose about that same amount of weight, but it's sooo hard to do...For my job, I just sit on my butt all day and drive down the highway...I drink too much Coke, and snack too much...I keep kidding her, saying that if she keeps going, she'll get too hot for me and move to somebody thinner!!!...LOL!!!...

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
Congrats on the wight loss!!!....My fiancee' started weight watchers in October of '06, and so far has lost 49 pounds...Hell that's a small child!!!...I need to lose about that same amount of weight, but it's sooo hard to do...For my job, I just sit on my butt all day and drive down the highway...I drink too much Coke, and snack too much...I keep kidding her, saying that if she keeps going, she'll get too hot for me and move to somebody thinner!!!...LOL!!!...
awwwwww man...i was getting interested until you said someone thinner. that rules me out...:mad:
:bleh:

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Jeez I'm retarded!!!!...I just read this one to Jenny, and she reminded me that she started weight watchers in October '07, not '06....I have no excuse...

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
Jeez I'm retarded!!!!...I just read this one to Jenny, and she reminded me that she started weight watchers in October '07, not '06....I have no excuse...
where was that thread about the being in the doghouse at again? sounds like someone may be on the way...:spank:

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey congrazts on the weight loss. I need it done too but I can't afford it. I was talking to my P.A. at the VA, and she told me that the VA might take care of it. I really hope they will do it. Well good luck... think thin...:)

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,420 Posts
we all know its hard to lose weight, but if you look in the mirror and dont like what you see, get rid of some of it!! I know because at the end of my residency, I was overweight, I lost my weight the following way.......I assessed what I ate....too much and too much crap.....I totally cut out the crap and ate much less...in six weeks, I lost close to 50 lbs.....I still am within 20 lbs of that weight loss......I wear the same size I did in college......you have to work at it every day whether you have surgery like the band, or not.....you can certainly stretch out the stomach if you overdo...so watch what you eat, and eat less.......then you will have less complications and the girls, or boys will look at you!!!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had mine done in March of 2007, it was the best choice I made for me and my family.
Mine went so well that several friends and spouses of friends are considering this procedure.
As long as you want to loose weight (This in not a magic pill), you still have to work at it. but with this "tool" I have gotten my life back, that is all the more to keep me going.

As I was 365lbs and had all kinds of problems (The balloon effect), I had type II diabetes kick in and made it all that much worse.
If you ever need someone to talk to about Lap Band (goes for anyone) feel free to PM me and I will give you my number and we can talk all you want about it.

Dan

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm very proud of you guys. Some of us have had to learn the hard way that at a certain age we can't just eat anything and everything, and by the time we do realize it our weight has run out of control. I still feel good and could care freakin less about how I look but I found out recently that there are things going on inside that could be time bombs. So I go to the gym twice a day and ride the stationary bike for a couple miles at a time and I try to eat a little healthier. I could really care less about dying, I just don't want to suffer getting there. Plus I think there are a couple folks that would like for me to stick around a little longer. Good luck fellas and keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts