Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Ray, personally I don't recommend messing with any of the ECM's wires. If your back in the seat area, tap into the brown wire which goes back to the tail light, it is switched.

EDIT: Correction for 1800's it is the Black/Brown wire :D

·
2,807 Posts
Ray located under throttle side sidecover.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
The power for your tail light comes off fuse "B". FYI fuses A, B, C, and D are all switched circuits with your ignition key. You could tap into any of those wires and the line will only be "hot" when the key is on.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
He's right Ray the ECM are very fragile. I used the blue/white wire in the bucket myself. I believe that's what it was intended for and won't effect the circuits during start up.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Grrrr....I hate this electrical crap. :(

Can't find a black/brown wire....2 blacks and 2 browns but no combo.

Wish this was plug n play, hell I have not even started into the diode crap yet.
Ray, you should be able to find it coming out of the bottom of your OEM fuse block. Second fuse in should be a red 10A fuse with a Black/Brown wire coming out.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Put a relay on it if you use the headlight wire, if not it'll burn out the starter switch (I found out the hard way). Not sure if the tail light would need the relay as well, but it couldn't hurt for five bucks.

Rebel

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I'm not sure if it was the horn or the installation kit that had the relay but I have a rlay on mine too. The kit is a great idea since it has the correct sixe wiring already installed.

·
Certifiable Member
527 Posts
You can get a circuit sniffer at the big box store the beep when power is detected it really help to trouble shoot simply turn switch on and find hot wire turn off and see if it goes dead. there about $15 well worth the money an no need to poke or cut a wire toi test if it is hot or not works on all types of wiring from MC to in house..

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I used to be afraid of wiring too Ray but this crew has talked thru things I would never have figured out on my own. Now I do try it myself first cause I know I have a plan B in the wings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts