Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has looked into making their own Kevlar lined jeans?

A recent post of an accident by a fellow cafe member got me thinking about more protective clothing instead of shiny stuff. :icon_nerv

Spending $100+ or even $70 seems a little excessive for what these things are. (Okay Okay, I'm on a budget) The jeans I have looked at are nothing more than regular jeans with Kevlar sewn into the seat and knee sections. I'm no seamster but I think even I could manage to sew Kevlar to these portions of some $20 jeans. From what I have seen they aren't even sewn in very well. I would probably stitch it up a bit better if doing it myself. It looks like you can buy Kevlar by the yard at 50" wide for around $35. (Maybe cheaper) Soooooo, I would imagine one could make several sets of riding pants for considerably less than what they are wanting for one name brand pair of riding pants. I'm thinking one could even sew the Kevlar into shirts, jackets, or whatever they want. I know Kevlar is no match for armor but it will at least cut down considerably on road rash.

So does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts? Has someone already started doing this in the cafe? :hmm2:

If not for the liability issues I might even think of making these and selling them myself for considerably less than the big name brands.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
They may seem expansive but they will sure save you from road rash. Plus, they are near impossible to wear out. The biggest problem with kevlar pants is YOU (wel not you but the buyers). The pants last so long that most people gain weight over the years and no longer fit in them.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
It sounds like a great idea. Have you found any places that sell the Kevlar? I know where you can get woven Kevlar fiber but that would be for wetting with epoxy like fiberglass or carbon fiber parts

·
Registered
185 Posts
You got my interest up, I would be intrested in trying this myself, would like to know where to get the Kevlar, so if you find out please post an address. Thanks bro.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I don't, but curious to see what other members have to say. Wishing all well.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I don't remember the name of the company but there is a place in CA that makes kevlar clothing and a friend of mine bought their pants. He wears them all the time when riding.

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
i dont know but the time and energy put into making some pants might be more than just buying there pants that are well made, plus would you want to save a few bucks by making it yourself and hoping it holds up as good as there pants... Just saying...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.armorco.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=212 . The stab proof stuff used for corrections officers.

How to cut and sew it are some good questions. I've often pondered how superman shaved and got his hair cut. :icon_eek: They have Kevlar shears to cut it (not sure what is so special about them) and there must be some way to sew it or it would be impossible to work with. But those are indeed very good questions! They are stitched by the manufactures that sell the $110+ jeans after all. I wonder if there is a fabric adhesive that would work as well as stitching? :hmm2: Maybe adhesive is not such a good idea after all, as I for one am not willing to be the test subject on that one.

It looks like there is a minimum order of 2 yards so it would be at least $80 to even get started. However,,,,,, I read on their site that if you buy a whole roll they offer a pretty substantial discount. Maybe this is stretching a bit too far but,,,,,,,,,,,,, now bear with me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if enough people went in on a roll it might be cheaper if divided up properly. I'm not saying I wan't to head up something like that but it is a possibility.:coffee:

Even if two people at a time went together on an order it would be better than springing for $80 worth of Kevlar. It would be in the neighborhood of $40 each (shipping is probably extra). Each person would still have enough to do several pairs of pants!

·
Certifiable Member
527 Posts
Kevlar resist punctures not cutting. You can cut it wih a sharp pair of scissors. I have ALOT of bull tape used to pull in fiber optic cable it is basically a woven flat rope 1/4 - 1 inch wide 1/8 to 1/4 thick very strong stuff i save alot of it if some one has a use for it or can figure how to use it in clothing just pm me most of it is rolled up in rolls several hundred feet long.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'm interested in this. I'd be willing to take some of the kevlar to a friend that is a seamstress and see what she says. Keep us up to date on what you decide/find out about this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts