Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 08 1800T had a V&H FuelPak installed when I bought it last month. I had previously ridden an 02 1800C with a PC3 and it had much better low end response than my bike, while top end felt similiar. I knew I needed to tune it but been busy with other stuff.

Finally got around to doing some research and it's obvious V&H doesn't want us knowing how this thing works. The guys on several forums seemed to piece together some idea of what some of the modes do. Anyway, I made some notes, took some educated shots in the dark and started making changes yesterday.

My bike had V&H's FP1100 programed in which is for a 06 1800F with Big Shot Staggered exhaust with standard baffles and standard intake. I have 08 1800T with Long Shots and no baffles with HyperCharger. I had been thinking I needed baffles or cones or lollipops to get some back pressure to get the low and mid range of the other bike.

Well after 2 adjustments I've gotten huge improvements. Completely different bike. I did just about 200 miles yesterday on all kinds of roads. Everything from 5 miles of gravel to 25 miles at 80 on the interstate. The bike is better in every way. Even with all the playing with the new throttle response I got 39.57 mpg.

I'm sure there is room for improvement, but I'm ecstatic with my progress so far. I'll probably need to monitor AFR to gain much more and I'm not sure when or if I'll get around to that.

Anyway, if anyone is still messing around with the older style FuelPak with 3 buttons and 2 sets of LED displays I'd like to compare notes.

Kevin

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I still have the numbers. I'll look for them when I can.

I pulled the FuelPak off this year and the bike runs better without it I think. I also did the ground fix at the same time, so not certain which improved what.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay Thanks I have the numbers for the 1100map&1101map I just wondering if anyone had came up with anything better...Yeah I'm gonna unhook my today,And see how see runs AS long as she don't start backfiring..lol The fuelpak was on her when,I bought the bike 08 1800f

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My deceleration popping went away when I removed the FuelPak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i didn't have any decel popping at all with the fuelpak just trying to get the most out of her..lol I figure with fuelpak unhooked the stock setup would pop with the V&H and the hyper charger BUT just got back from a short ride,And no popping,BUT the bike/exhaust sounds better with the fuelpak So were hooking it back up after she cools off...But is the 1100&1101 is that the only two maps out there? Thanks and have a great day... anyone else know of any custom numbers send them my way

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top page is the notes I gathered.

Bottom is FP1100, with my final values in (x) for the values I changed. I made several changes before I settled on what's here.

Best of luck! Let me know if it helps any.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
We'll check those out nxt weekend..just got back from a ride,And already put her in the barn...Thanks for the info

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is these the setting's you were getting 39mpg from? I'm currently only getting 33mpg..I programmed the numbers in ,But haven't rode yet.. also just If I change to another brand what about the Auto tune Cobra Pwr Pro black would it be better than the fuelpak? If so what about Decel sound? my decel sound with the fuelpak sounds.great ..Deep rumble Sorry so many question

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I ended up with around 37 average with those settings. Worse on winter fuel.

FuelPak can only add fuel, so I think it ends up too rich. I'm not familiar with other controllers. I highly recommend unhooking it someday and give that a ride.

I don't have baffles so the decel popping was annoying. Too much crackling sound?

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Making a VTX1300 run richer than the extremely lean factory settings does not necessarily reduce fuel mileage. By optimizing the air/fuel ratio, the bike can, in many cases, use less fuel to achieve a given speed. On my wife's 1300, it went from low 40's to mid 40's in fuel mileage after being rejetted and properly tuned.

Lean vs. rich is not really an indication of the amount of fuel being consumed. Rather, it is a measure of the ratio of fuel to air entering the cylinders.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Making a VTX1300 run richer than the extremely lean factory settings does not necessarily reduce fuel mileage. By optimizing the air/fuel ratio, the bike can, in many cases, use less fuel to achieve a given speed. On my wife's 1300, it went from low 40's to mid 40's in fuel mileage after being rejetted and properly tuned.

Lean vs. rich is not really an indication of the amount of fuel being consumed. Rather, it is a measure of the ratio of fuel to air entering the cylinders.
Hey Vinish, I don't know anything about the 1300. The 1800 doesn't seem lean to me, but I haven't put a 02 sensor on it, so who knows.

I do know for a fact my mpg improved after removing it, and the bike had to be leaner because the FuelPac added fuel. It also runs better in lower rpm range.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Virtually all motorcycles are set up to run very lean from the factory. This is necessary in order to pass the stringent EPA emission requirements. As a result of this factory leanness, most bikes run hot, do not produce as much power as they can, and often have related bad symptoms such as decel popping, backfiring, and difficulty in cold starting. This is especially true for older carbuerated bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I ended up with around 37 average with those settings. Worse on winter fuel.

FuelPak can only add fuel, so I think it ends up too rich. I'm not familiar with other controllers. I highly recommend unhooking it someday and give that a ride.

I don't have baffles so the decel popping was annoying. Too much crackling sound?
Okay Buddy thanks for all the info,I will try these setting..Thanks again..Take Care

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vinish, I believe you 100%, but too rich will lose power as well. EPA has tried to ruin everything. It's our job to try to fix what they destroy.

68Shadow, good luck. I'll be curious about how it works for you. I still remember my first real ride after getting it tuned better. Biggest difference was bottom end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just took her for a short ride had a little hesitation around 55 to 60 with these settings, I put mode 10 back to +5 and 14 back from-10 to 0 to clear up the hesitation... Gonna leave the rest to your settings,And see if fuel mileage improves,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vance&Hines recommended the mode 10 to a +5 and the mode 14 from a -10 to 0 or +3 before in the past for hesitation from 50 to 60 mph

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would have been nice if they just released info on all the settings.

·
Mean ol' Mo' Fo'
388 Posts
im gonna guess the V&H fuel pack is a digital enricher. Regardless,..if you want to dial any such mod to its fullest potential,...get it dyno tuned. They will smooth out the A/F mix along the entire power band. Had mine done about 18 years ago using a a beta model Fuel nanny a guy named Mark sent a few of us at the 'X'Oa. It has 3 settings,..1.low end 2.transistion point 3. high end. Low end was lean.
Whatever and intake and exhaust your going to use has be on the bike. Mine has run perfect all the while. Plugs stay light tan. No popping, surging or hesitation ever. Fuel mileage in low 30s. Well worth it, Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay Thanks ......O8 1800f V&h Big Shot Hyper Charger If I switch over to a PC3 where would be a good place to start to try And find a map for this setup?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts