Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. I’m switching handlebar styles going from aggressive drag bars to chillin ape hangers. I need to change all of my lines anyway. Any tips or recommendations on brakes hoses and cables for this job? I own ‘02 VTX 1800c. I’m 6’5” and I got 16.5” bars. Can’t wait. Thank you for any tips. Holler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Barnett or Galfer both have good product and customer service. I have total 18” apes with +8 hoses and lines

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
I would add Magnum lines/cables to that list. Their Sterling Chromite II line looks great. I used them on an HD not a VTX so cannot guarantee that Magnum carries lines/cables for a VTX but they easily could.

Reactions: FLYINGFROGS19

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use a seamstress measure tape to get your lengths. I drilled out the bars and internally wired the electronics and tucked it into the light housing. Can get all electrical bits from Ace hardware. 20” Apes with 8+ over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use a seamstress measure tape to get your lengths. I drilled out the bars and internally wired the electronics and tucked it into the light housing. Can get all electrical bits from Ace hardware. 20” Apes with 8+ over.
What risers do you have on there?

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
Coaxial cable is cheap and has the right size and stiffness to be used as a substitute for the cables and lines for measuring purposes. Remove the old line/cable and put coax in its place. Route the coax how you want. Mark the length needed for the coax. Compare this marked length to the length of the stock cable and note the difference in length. Most lines/cables are sold not in a set length (e.g. 63 inches) but, rather, as a length in comparison to the stock length (e.g. 8" over stock length).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coaxial cable is cheap and has the right size and stiffness to be used as a substitute for the cables and lines for measuring purposes. Remove the old line/cable and put coax in its place. Route the coax how you want. Mark the length needed for the coax. Compare this marked length to the length of the stock cable and note the difference in length. Most lines/cables are sold not in a set length (e.g. 63 inches) but, rather, as a length in comparison to the stock length (e.g. 8" over stock length).
I might have laying around. Good idea. Did you lift your front forks for the extension or just add a few inches?

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
Just note the current loop in the front brake line and follow that same curve/loop. Also remember that you can relocate the lines/cables to behind the top triple tree brace rather than going in front of the top triple tree brace or through the large gap between the top and bottom triple tree braces.

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
I've never seen risers put on in the manner they are in the 2nd picture in post #10. I have only seen risers used to pull back the bars so they would be put on rotated around the mounting bolts by 180°. Nothing wrong with mounting them in the manner shown. It is just unusual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never seen risers put on in the manner they are in the 2nd picture in post #10. I have only seen risers used to pull back the bars so they would be put on rotated around the mounting bolts by 180°. Nothing wrong with mounting them in the manner shown. It is just unusual.
Oh lol. I had my drag bars on these. They would hit the tank if they were the other way. I made it work. Lol. I have long arms so it worked great. Those are the old ones. I found the pair I need. J&p cycles had them. All good. They didn’t have black but they do for now. I can powder coat them later. Not cheap risers though. Dang. I need them though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh lol. I had my drag bars on these. They would hit the tank if they were the other way. I made it work. Lol. I have long arms so it worked great. Those are the old ones. I found the pair I need. J&p cycles had them. All good. They didn’t have black but they do for now. I can powder coat them later. Not cheap risers though. Dang. I need them though.

On my bike my speedo stock is part of the old riser clamp assembly. Guess I’ll have to grind out and retro fit. Nothing is easy. Lol!always something

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On my bike my speedo stock is part of the old riser clamp assembly. Guess I’ll have to grind out and retro fit. Nothing is easy. Lol!always something

Getting there. Lol. Fits good. I’ll leave a couple of inches extra on the lines in case I want to raise a bit or adjust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts