Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and considering putting 12" apes on a 09 VTX1300R. Has anybody done it and was it necessary to purchase longer cable/lines or can the OEM stuff work with some rerouting?

·
Super Moderator
9,684 Posts
Typically, you can add about 4" of rise/pullback before you need to change cables/lines. The stock risers are about 2" and you can go to 6" pullback risers using the stock lines/cables but with rerouting some of them and getting dangerously tight on the front brake line. True apes, even 12" apes would very likely require all new lines/cables. Use this as an opportunity to run all the wires inside the bars and to change from the ugly black stock cables and brake line to braided stainless. It's only money :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put 12" apes on mine and the only things that required replacement were the clutch and brake lines - the electrical wiring was long enough, to my surprise, as I had all the soldering and re-wiring stuff ready to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put 12" apes on mine and the only things that required replacement were the clutch and brake lines - the electrical wiring was long enough, to my surprise, as I had all the soldering and re-wiring stuff ready to go.
Do you have any pics? I like the idea but am curious to see it before I get serious.

·
Registered
620 Posts
16s on mine with 1.5" risers. Had to get +10 cables and even then the throttle cables could be longer in my opinion. Electrical needed to be extended too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts