Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting apes on my 1800 s . A friend told me there are issues with the brake lines if I do.Anyone know what he means?

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The problem will be for all your front control lines and cables. This includes the front brake line, the throttle/idle cables, and the clutch line/cable. All will likely be too short if you raise the grips by the amount that apes would raise them. This is a common issue and is solved "merely" by buying and installing longer cables/lines. These are typically $35-$75 for each of the four lines/cables depending on the style and brand you buy. These can be installed yourself with a lot of effort.

One other thing to worry about is all the electrical wires leading from the hand switches into the bike. Some or all of these are likely to need to be lengthened. This can be done by cutting the wires and splicing/soldering extensions into each wire. Some apes come with all the longer wires already installed although this is more common when you go with internal wiring as is more often done on Harleys.

I put taller bars on my bike but not apes. I also went with all internal to the handlebar wiring. I was able to use the stock wires which were barely long enough but replaced all four of my cables/lines.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
While my state has no restrictions (that I know of), I have heard some states or municipalities have height restrictions for apes. Higher than your shoulders may get you a citation in some places.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You just need longer brake lines, cables, and to lengthen your wires. Not hard but tedious work. They make prewired bars but they are expensive. If you have questions I will help. I have a 1300 but its not much different.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A set of new brake lines will be about $400. A new clutch line will be about $100. I have no idea about throttle cable costs. Wires are tedious but cheap.

Ride a bike with similar bars to the ones you want before you spend all that only to find you don't like it. Just me sayin'

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
A set of new brake lines will be about $400. A new clutch line will be about $100. I have no idea about throttle cable costs. Wires are tedious but cheap.

Ride a bike with similar bars to the ones you want before you spend all that only to find you don't like it. Just me sayin'
where you buying all your equipment from? we changed out bars about 3 weeks ago for about $450 total cost, including the bars and cables....highest priced item was the bars at $125.00....:hmm2:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
where you buying all your equipment from? we changed out bars about 3 weeks ago for about $450 total cost, including the bars and cables....highest priced item was the bars at $125.00....:hmm2:
I agree. I have put apes on 2 different bikes now and I don't think I've spent $450 total.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
I agree. I have put apes on 2 different bikes now and I don't think I've spent $450 total.
that included all his shipping for next day delivery on all the parts from a couple different suppliers and all and the $125 for the bars......without the shipping and lower end costing bars, i think it usually runs about 350 to change it all out

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
that included all his shipping for next day delivery on all the parts from a couple different suppliers and all and the $125 for the bars......without the shipping and lower end costing bars, i think it usually runs about 350 to change it all out
I'm lucky. I have a shop that makes cables in my area. I had all 3 cables made for around $40.
Plus they had all the parts to replace my brake cable.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
I'm lucky. I have a shop that makes cables in my area. I had all 3 cables made for around $40.
Plus they had all the parts to replace my brake cable.
well, when i change the bars on my suzi and put the apes on over the winter, i'll call you and tell you what i need ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok, with the bars, cables, electric wiring, the total for my 1800cc was about 1,500. The cables were diamond braided. I went from stock fatbob to 16". Handlebar ape 16" 1. 195.99, cable throttle SCII 62.99, cable idle scII 41. 57.99, diamond brake line B/L 32"64.99, gasket, transmission 6.99, banjo 3/8"/10mm #3 9.74, hydraulic hose adapter 14.24, #3 Flare union 7.49, chromite II 34" brake 41.99, chromite II 38" brake, 43.49, brake fluid 6.95, 8 hrs labor 550., I'm sure Honda is cheaper than Harley. I can't wait to convert my VTX. I love the feel of apes. Apes let me sit up straight instead of bending over like a crotch rocket. The apes make a big difference on my lower back pain. I think they are well worth the cost for the comfort. Plus, the look is cool in my mind. You either love them or hate them; I guess. Plus, the risers currently on the bike shortened the factory cables to were they rub the tank. Uggg. Can't wait to upgrade.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was looking at Spiegler, Hel, and Galfer lines. If your are gonna take the time to do it, get braided lines and the proper bayonets. If you can do it cheaper, go for it. I was just bringing up the point that putting ape hangers on is a bigger deal than just bars. :choppersm

S

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Not only the upfront cost, but the total cost of ownership must be considered when going Ape....

I would imagine on a long ride, you could eat about 2 dozen bananas... They ain't cheap either...

:)

Spoiler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts