Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2006 1300C, and the guy who sold it to me has a bunch of add-ons included. (GREAT GUY, AWESOME DEAL!) I just got home for some R&R to try it out, and I don't know if the pipes are stock. I've compared them to other pictures of stock pipes, and the center hole in mine seems to be larger in diameter, also, the the little stubby pipe coming out only goes in maybe 1/2" and then ends where the stockers look like it goes all the way into the first baffle. It rumbles REALLY deep and mean, but that's it. There's no loudness when on the throttle, no real bark. I love the sound, but want more volume, and if these are aftermarket pipes, I'm afraid to do the clayton mod to them. Some advice would be appreciated.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
Looks like the stock ones!

But when you say it has a really deep rumble, it makes me think that they are not. Of course, your definition of the rumble may be different than others. Stock pipes make a pretty tame noise.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Looks to me like stock pipes with some internal surgery. The weld on the center pipe does not look like a factory weld. Beside, the stock pipes do not have a rumble - they whisper.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Looks to me like stock pipes with some internal surgery. The weld on the center pipe does not look like a factory weld. Beside, the stock pipes do not have a rumble - they whisper.
Yup, looks like someone re-worked the stockers.
You would have to grind the welds that holds the chrome tips in place to remove them and see what has been done inside.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Those are the Stock Pipes.

Wether or not they have been re-worked on the inside, you can only tell if they're Loud, and according to the post, they are not loud, so I would say they're stock.

There's no loudness when on the throttle, no real bark. I love the sound, but want more volume, and if these are aftermarket pipes, I'm afraid to do the clayton mod to them. Some advice would be appreciated.
The Clayton Mod is wonderful for some volume. I came off a Shadow 1100 with straight pipes. When I got on the VTX, I couldnt hear the dang thing.

Basically, all the clayton mod is, is drilling holes in the back plate you took a pic of. The more holes, the more Volume.

However, "Drilling Deep" entails drilling thru those backplate holes with a 12" drill bitdemolishing anything in the way. Basically, you're putting holes in the Baffles. This adds "Depth" to the Volume.

Here's mine:

I started with 3 holes, each pipe... got a lot better, but I wanted it a bit more louder... went to 5 holes, then 7. Perfect volume for me, but the depth wasnt there.

So, I drilled 1 hole, each, deep... the sound was noticeably deeper, but not deep enough... so I went to go 3 deep, but didnt hit anything in a couple holes, so I said the hell with it and went deep in all 7 holes. I hit something 3 more times on each pipe, for a total of 7 in the backplate, 4 deep.

I was amazed at the sound.

I get compliments from HD Riders.

Completely worth it. I have no problem recommending The Clayton Mod whatsoever.

-Gonz

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I came off a Sabre with V&H Longshots. These are definitely quiet, but do have a deep rumble. From what I can see inside, there are two pipes that come out of the baffle, one capped, one not. I don't have welding capabilities or the time to cut them open and check, but I think I will put a 3/4" -1" hole right in the center of the baffle plate. I just wanted to know if there are aftermarkets that look like stock, and if these are them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
it does look like some work was done but if u want i would do one of three things new pipes clayton mod or vtxexhaust mod. Sent mine after i did the mod my pipes r of dif style so was restricted on what i could do any way now i can run with or without baffles and try diff ones to tune the sound i want and turn around on ur pipes is very quick from them good luck and good riden

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
I'm with the re-worked crowd. That center pipe's weld does not look stock. I think they may be cleaned out inside.

Mort

·
daily rider
220 Posts
If you drill the holes in the end caps you can always tac weld caps back over them if you don't like the results. I think the original clayton mod thread has a tip for drilling the holes so they can be plugged later with bolts.

I say drill away!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I have an 06 C and just went and looked at mine...
Those have been reworked for sure, on mine the pipe in the center is only 1" diam and they angle down. Also there is no external weld showing at all, it's welded inside and smooth on the outside.

In the pics it looks like you have a much larger pipe in the center and it's facing straight out the back, so I'd bet money someone payed a visit to the inside of them and did some carving.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
From what I can see inside, there are two pipes that come out of the baffle, one capped, one not.
If you can get at the pipe inside that is capped off, that is what will give you the loudest/deepest sound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would someone go through all that trouble to gut the pipes and then leave them so quiet? I'll let y'all know if I can do anything to it before I go back to God's litterbox in a few days, otherwise, it's on the top of my list when I come back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Maybe they were modified by vtxexhaust.com.

Bart1300 has factory exhaust modified by them. Send him a PM to ask his opinion.

His exhaust has more rumble then stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts