Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, the guy who revs his engine all the time?

I was next to a guy on a Star Raider, we hit 5 stop lights all in a row and at every one of them he was blipping the throttle.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
Sounds like he wasn't loved as a child and is starving for attention.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Interesting question...

More at stop lights than anything, I hear guys Blip all the time. Not sure what it is.. I do it once in awhile, like blip it once before taking off instead of just a steady take off... No particular reason for it tho

-Gonz

·
Registered
386 Posts
I sometimes do just before letting the clutch out. I don't know why either. It screws me up sometimes because I also ride a 650 Burgman which has a ctv and blipping the throttle isn't so good, particularly when you are behind someone at the light. I also sometimes hit the floor to apply the rear brake while riding the Burgie. Problem with that is that the rear brake is the left handlebar lever.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Like already said above I probably do it just as I'm about the let out the clutch, and sometimes I do it as I'm down shifting. I think I do it without even knowing I am mainly because of my dirt bike days, for a good launch at the starting line you wanted to make sure it wasn't loaded up & during down shifting it just seemed to make the trans sinc better so you never missed a beat with a pack of guys on your heels wanting to get around you.

But... I'll be the first to say I can't stand the guys who must sit there and rev it up at a light just to make sure everyone around them looks at them, or the ones who feel the need to rev it to the redline in between shifts while their right next to your window while your in your car. (I'm rider and that even makes me want to run the As:icon_cens off the road)

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Don't normally blip, that I know of, unless I'm doing the blip test to check my a/f adjustment. lol

I may add a few RPM's at a stop light if it's still cold. I love the way my X sounds when I don't blip before letting out the clutch, that smooth, low take off, and then adding RPM's to shift through the gears. Never have blipped when downshifting either. Who knows why we do or don't do these things? lol

Ok, now that I talked about it, I'm going for a ride.

Hello, my name is Woody, and I have an ADDICTION!!!! :D :mosh:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dont have to on the VTX it idles just fine. I know a few of my Harley buddies do at the light just to keep it running and my brother does it constantly on his Suzuki but i think he just needs a carb adjustment
:choppersm

·
Registered
475 Posts
A Bad Experience

I guess I do a little, better to have the r's up a little, than to take a chance on the bike stalling and falling. Example: When I pull in my back yard I have to drive through a stockade fence gate pull up through the grass, back it up to turn it around so I can drive it into my shed. Late one night, I was trying to be quiet (neighbors) after I had backed it up had the forks turned to the left, eased out the cluctch without reving it a little (trying to be quiet late night) it stalled I Hit my balls on the tank leaning low and to the left, I held it with everything I had left, just imagine getting hit in the balls and the balls were ringing. Two things happened since that night, I rev the motor a little before I take off and I couldn't give a dam anymore:nono: about the noise and the neighbors!!! My Bike is 800 lbs just saying !!!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I don't think that I do it...unless it's cold and and I'm actually holding a bit of throttle to try and warm it up but then that's not a blip, I'm holding it to raise the rpm. Sometimes I do it just before taking off from a red light I know but I'm not aware that I do that all the time. I can say that if I see someone on a cell phone at a light, I tend to blip it or just flat out crank it for a while. I believe if they are on the phone, they are even more less likely to see me so I want to make sure they know I'm there.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If I'm at a light I just let it idle, but if I just started it and didn't let it warm up I'll go ahead and keep the R's up with a little throttle tweaking. I guess if it's running well you don't need to fool with it. Then again, there's a difference between "want to do it" and "need to do it". I seem to get that question when I'm looking at more chrome or a new gun.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
or the ones who feel the need to rev it to the redline in between shifts while their right next to your window while your in your car. (I'm rider and that even makes me want to run the As:icon_cens off the road)
I can say that if I see someone on a cell phone at a light, I tend to blip it or just flat out crank it for a while. I believe if they are on the phone, they are even more less likely to see me so I want to make sure they know I'm there.
I'm very rarely ever on the phone but... you might want to be careful there may be a lot of people that aren't riders with this very thought to... :bleh:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm a downshift blipper, just about every downshift i make i give a short blip while gearing down. With me its just habit, the vtx tranny sure doesnt need the help, thats for sure. :choppersm Bry

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I used too blip a lot now I have gotten bored with it and just let my bike roll backwards at lights so that the cars next to me think that they are rolling forwards and slam on the brakes!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I don't realize it while it's happening but I do bring the rpm's up before leaving a light. If I do that I more than likely blip once in a while too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think the stock bikes have to blip less than modified; I have both.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
nothing wrong with blipping i suppose....just curious as to why someone must be craving for attention if they blip...
sometimes i do it, sometimes i don't....but i actually like to hear the others guys do it as it sounds good from across the light...
hail to the blippers

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used too blip a lot now I have gotten bored with it and just let my bike roll backwards at lights so that the cars next to me think that they are rolling forwards and slam on the brakes!:rolleyes:

Now that is funny! :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts