Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this question has been asked several times in one form or another, and has been patiently answered by all of you over and over again, but at the risk of being 'another one', I have hopefully straightforward question concerning two aftermarket exhaust systems for the 1300C. I'm trying to decide between Bub Jug Huggers and Cobra Speedster Slashdowns for my bike (currently stock exhaust). I've read as many of these threads as I can find (going friggin' blind!) and have listened over and over again to YouTube vids and sound clips of these pipes (getting tone deaf by now, I'm sure), and honestly I haven't seen or heard of any bike nights or similar in the small eastern New Mexico town I currenly live in to do what everyone has advised in these threads (go and listen to them in person). :banghead:
So the question (if you have patience for one more time through this) is: If you have either the Bub Jug Huggers or the Cobra Speedster Slashdowns on your 1300C..........why did you choose what you put on? I know it is most often a matter of personal preference, but this 'decision' :confused: is driving me crazy...........don't particularly mind spending the money, but would hate to spend it and then find I made a foolish purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated..........

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I don't personally own either. I just know I have looked and read and looked some more. I hear MANY people talk about issues with the baffel's in the Cobra's. On the other side of the coin the Bub's are too damn expensive. I do know a guy that has the Bub's on a Harley. They sound good. He has baffel's in his as I would mine. I dont like OVER LOUD pipes on my bike for me. I just did the Clayton mod on my exhaust. It's loud enough for now until I can afford to drop 600.00 on an exhaust. I may be wrong but it's my opinion. That's good enough for me..:patriot:

PS I have an extra set of VTX exhaust, complete. If you would like to play around with the clayton mod. I would sell them pretty cheap.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you remember what the issues of the Cobra baffles were? I haven't read anything about that (yet)............

Thanks Jim.

Jamie

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
I've got an 1800 and have the Cobra Slashdowns and like them. They are not too loud until I hit the throttle hard and then they seem really loud. This is good for coming into the neighborhood and being a decent neighber, but then when I want to jump on it, they sound impressive.

I guess I don't read enough, because I haven't heard about the baffle issues and have had no issue myself, so I guess I'm lucky. I've had them for 4 years.

I got them because they looked good and the other ones I liked (Bubs? Longshots? I forget) were on backorder.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
They dont hold the baffel material in very well, from my understanding. Meaning it burns off and get louder then they have to rewrapped. Just seemed like a big hassel to me. Didnt want to take the chance of screwing something up.. I read this on this site, I'm sure someone with actual experience will chime in. Just wanted to offer my opinion. Good Luck

Went back and looked it was the Cobra Slahcut Slipons I was looking at. I'm sure it makes a difference.. I have been wrong before, So one more time wont get my man card taken away.....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i have some cobra boulevards and i really like the deep rumble at idle, you can ride like a good neighbor when you want to, but when you crack it on, the pipes get pretty darn loud. Some cobra baffles came wrapped with fiberglass and the tape got loose, and the pipes got louder. I think what you should do is decide which style looks better on your bike. You will be thrilled with the sound of either system i'm sure of that. Bry :choppersm

·
Registered
192 Posts
i did lots of research online and off line i drilled stock pipes and then sent them to vtxexhaust for mod saved up and researched some more i went with the bubs i really love them i have the 13t long pipes would have looked nice but like the sound of the bubs we have a rally here in las vegas new mexico that is at the end of July there r a few vtx out here have only meet 1 from mora but he still runs stock if you come up this way hit me up will find all the other vtxers there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll do that. Haven't found anyone else around here from NM, good to know there are some not too far away! How do I find out more info about the rally in LV, NM?

Thanks for the input and help Randall and Bryan - I appreciate it. Bryan, you are giving me the same advice my brother has been telling me for a couple of months (hope he's not reading this).......I know it is right, thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't personally own either. I just know I have looked and read and looked some more. I hear MANY people talk about issues with the baffel's in the Cobra's. On the other side of the coin the Bub's are too damn expensive. I do know a guy that has the Bub's on a Harley. They sound good. He has baffel's in his as I would mine. I dont like OVER LOUD pipes on my bike for me. I just did the Clayton mod on my exhaust. It's loud enough for now until I can afford to drop 600.00 on an exhaust. I may be wrong but it's my opinion. That's good enough for me..:patriot:

PS I have an extra set of VTX exhaust, complete. If you would like to play around with the clayton mod. I would sell them pretty cheap.
BUBS are 414.00 at phat

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/BUB_Jug_Huggers_VTX_1300C_04_09_1300_R_T_08_p/06-1211-ccna.htm

i heard both in person before i bought my BuBs, the bubs are deeper and have more crack IMO, i made mine even deeper with a set Big City Thunder Monster Baffles, but there no were near obnoxious, volume control is in your right hand, i haven't heard a better sounding VTX yet.......

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUBS are 414.00 at phat

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/BUB_Jug_Huggers_VTX_1300C_04_09_1300_R_T_08_p/06-1211-ccna.htm

i heard both in person before i bought my BuBs, the bubs are deeper and have more crack IMO, i made mine even deeper with a set Big City Thunder Monster Baffles, but there no were near obnoxious, volume control is in your right hand, i haven't heard a better sounding VTX yet.......
Thanks BadgerX! Have you ordered from Phat before? Reliable? Also, I have read the Bubs use the stock exhaust bracket and have an adapter to fit to that, is that how your's fit?

Holy cow! Just called Phat about the Bubs and found out they have been back ordered since December!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks BadgerX! Have you ordered from Phat before? Reliable? Also, I have read the Bubs use the stock exhaust bracket and have an adapter to fit to that, is that how your's fit?
Phat was great to deal with and i have ordered from them several times, mine came w a new bracket, but i heard they went through a bracket redesign right after i bought mine so im not sure, i would call BuB directly to ask, the pipes are awesome but the directions for install are junk, so if you pull the trigger on them go to ...
http://www.citlink.net/~roseiii/Index.htm
the bub club webpage, there are better instructions there

·
Adrenaline Junkie
134 Posts
(SNIP) Bryan, you are giving me the same advice my brother has been telling me for a couple of months (hope he's not reading this).......I know it is right, thanks. (SNIP)
When, oh WHEN will you learn to stop questioning my sage and sound advice?

Michael
(the brother)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts