Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been beat to death on the forum, but I just wanted to frame it in more of a discussion. Maybe ask the question. And see what kind of responses come back.

With all the posts we read on here of our VTX brothers going down in accidents and being saved by their helmets, why would anyone not wear All The Gear All The Time?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for everyone being able to make their own decision. But with all the stories we read from our fellow cafe members, doesn't that make us think twice about our decision?

I've already been down once in my short riding life, and my helmet certainly saved face if not my life. If I hadn't had my helmet on that day I probably would have lived, but my face would have been destroyed.

So for those out there who don't wear ATGATT, what are your thoughts on this?

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
I'm all the gear all the time, been down at 55mph and 35 mph. 55mph was due to a cager coming across from 3 lanes of traffic from behind. Have a permenant reminder for the rest of my life( 3 herniated lower discs in the back). I slide 10 yards on my [email protected]@. I wear full face, riding mesh jacket with armor, and leather gloves and steel toed work boots. I've ridden in 96 degrees that way and not an issue here in N.C. I respect choices. My choice is to be protected if I go down again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I usually ride in Idaho without a helmet.The one I have is uncomfortable and the constant buffeting of the wind makes my neck sore and makes riding at anything over 70 a chore.Lately I have been in Washington state and there I wear the gear, have to. I took the full visor off and and put on a mini visor and it was better I like the Idea of a helmet I wear the rest of the gear boots, leathers, gloves I just hate the helmet when I have the money going to a half helmet my wife wears the gear but not the boots she has Arthritis in her ankles and can't. I don't have the heart to tell her she can't ride say what you want I'm looking for alternatives for her footwear Just has to be ultra loose on her feet they swell pretty good.Like I said I like the gear but if riding is hot uncomfortable and no fun what's the point

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sometimes laziness or comfort prevails. I never ride in flip flops, and I am to fat for tank tops. But, it wouldn't be a shock to see me cruising in shorts, a Hawaiian, and sneakers. Always a full face helmet, usually gloves.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
i wear gear, happen to have 5 gears, at times wished i had 6th, but since i dont...isn't this glue already. we had a nasty incident with this recently, crossing borders and boundaries!!!

i take it back, i should not have replied. i've short changed myself with my $.02, not subscribing...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yea....this is such a subjective thread...everybody's comfort level is different, and laws vary from state to state...here in PA the bare minimum is a pair of glasses....that's it...that's all the state mandates and that's the way it ought to be...our personal protection on our bikes is up to us...INDIVIDUALLY!!!! I'll never criticize what anybody chooses to wear on their bike. I personally have all the gear...from riding boots to full face helmets and Kevlar riding jackets and everything in between...Do I wear it all all the time...Hell NO...but I do have a minimum...Boots, jeans, t-shirt, leather vest, half helmet, Glasses. And that's my choice....that's my minimum comfort/safety level. In the winter I dress differently, and on trips I dress differently...MY CHOICE...

Simple answer to this thread is:

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Everyone has the right to make their own choice but I would never, never ride with out my helmet. I wear it to turn the bike around in the garage. When I went down I know the helment saved my life and living to ride is better the no helmet and being seriusly hurt or killed. Just my opionion.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Yea....this is such a subjective thread...everybody's comfort level is different, and laws vary from state to state...here in PA the bare minimum is a pair of glasses....that's it...that's all the state mandates and that's the way it ought to be...our personal protection on our bikes is up to us...INDIVIDUALLY!!!! I'll never criticize what anybody chooses to wear on their bike. I personally have all the gear...from riding boots to full face helmets and Kevlar riding jackets and everything in between...Do I wear it all all the time...Hell NO...but I do have a minimum...Boots, jeans, t-shirt, leather vest, half helmet, Glasses. And that's my choice....that's my minimum comfort/safety level. In the winter I dress differently, and on trips I dress differently...MY CHOICE...

Simple answer to this thread is:

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

Joe
Amen, Brother, Amen!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Crashed my VTx a couple years ago, no helmet and hit my noggin in the ground at about 45 mph...Still here to tell the tale, and don't wear a helmet unless I'm traveling into a state that requires it, or unless it's cold weather and I wear the full face...

Threads like this bring one thing to mind....

MYOB....:nono:

Oh yeah, I've also been electrocuted twice (and not just a little shock from touching a bare wire plugged into the wall), and lived through those too...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I certainly didn't want to piss any one off by starting another ATGATT thread. Sorry about that. Bear, if you want to close this thread, go ahead and close it. I do find it kind of amusing that the one people willing to talk about this subject are the ones that wear. Or the ones you've pissed off by bringing the topic up.

Sorry CAFE won't touch this topic again.

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I do find it kind of amusing that the one people willing to talk about this subject are the ones that wear. Or the ones you've pissed off by bringing the topic up.
That is what happens everytime that this is brought up, there are strong feelings on both sides. even your post title says that you expected this. :icon_susp

Do what makes YOU feel safe and let others make thier own choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I ride, I wear a helmut and I wear jeans. If I ride to work I will wear tennis shoes, if I plan on going more than 5 miles from the house I will boots. I bought a pair of prescription transition riding glasses. My son rides a rocket and I preach to him about wearing helmut, I bought him a jacket and glooves to wear. If I see somebody I know with a rider wearing flip flop and shorts I preach to them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You wouldnt like the answers you got if you tried to preach at me for wearing shorts. Neither would Christian ears. Live and let live. Not hurting anyone but myself if I go down..

·
Liberal Peace-Lover
1,064 Posts
I prefer CATGATT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts