1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELCOME TO THE
INNAUGURAL
LIVER MUSH EXPRESS!
IMPORTANT: If you are joining the fun, be SURE to post (in THIS thread below) so Spoiler can get a head count for the Cafe! It would also be nice if you would indicate whether you are joining the Columbia link-up ride, heading in solo or wish to link up with other X-Riders elsewhere for your ride in or heading home.

SPOILER is hosting a "Meat and Eat"
for around NOON at the Shelby Cafe (in Shelby, NC)
on Saturday, 5 NOV 2011.

Background Note: The idea for this ride was spurred on during this unlikely thread... http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=67276&page=2
Check it out if you feel "out of the loop" since anything involving Spoiler is going to get "convoluted," at best.

Spoiler claims this meeting's main purpose is to introduce us all to Liver Mush at the Shelby Cafe, which supposedly serves excellent examples of the substance. This culinary adventure will then be followed by a short ride over to the Kings Mountain National Battlefield Park afterward before all of us splitting up to go our separate ways following our southern Revolutionary War history lessons.

Destination details will be in Spoiler's hands, so please direct any relevent questions regarding the Shelby Cafe, Shelby the town, the Battlefiedl Park or the ride to the Park toward him. If he can get Mrs Spoiler to read and translate them all to so he can understand, then all and good. Otherwise, we'll just treat it as a Mystery Ride and still have fun!

Getting there should be very easy since there are numerous accesses/egresses (ways in/out) via several interstates and other "main" roads for folks coming from eastern GA and TN, Western VA, southern WV and all of the Carolinas. You folks coming in from IN, OH, western TN and AL should have no difficulty, either.

DIRECTIONS
For directions to the Shelby Cafe in the beautiful downtown metropolis of Shelby, NC plug in the address: 220 S Lafayette St, Shelby, NC 28150 into your favorite direction finding software.

Early AM Link-Up in Columbia SC
for Group Ride to Shelby NC!

There is a planned "link-up" ride (the "Express" part) that morning in Columbia South Carolina for any riders coming from the Augusta GA, Savannah GA, Charleston SC, Myrtle Beach SC, Greenville SC and/or Spartanburg SC areas that would like to be part of a group ride coming into Shelby. You are invited to join the Midlands Carolina X-Riders for country group ride through northcentral SC and on up to Shelby NC - mostly via US Hwy 321 (our main and longest road). We will not be using any interstate roads heading north. (for more route info, see below)
  • This will be 105 mile ride (one way) via US Hwy 321, SC Hwy 5, Possum Trot Road, US Hwy 29, NC Hwy 226 and US Hwy 76 into Shelby NC. The ride north should take approximately 3 hours putting us at the Shelby Cafe around noon.
  • There will be two planned rest stops. The first will be somewhere near Chester SC and the second at Grover NC (just across I-85 and the NC state line to put on helmets - NC is not a free state).
  • We will meet at the Flying J Travel Plaza parking lot (Exit 70 off Interstate 20) between 0800 and 0830. This is the US Hwy 321/Fairfield Road exit.
  • For those wishing to eat breakfast prior to departure, there is a nice Dennys immediately in front of our motorcycle parking area (the crosshatched section of the parking lot next to the fence - trust me, you can't miss it).
Please RE-FUEL your tank PRIOR to the Safety Briefing.

Meet-Up: 0800-0830
Last Chace Potty & Fuel: 0830-0845
Safety and Ride Brief: 0845 (approx)

KICKSTANDS UP: 0900 !
  • Ride Captain: Cage
  • Tail Gunner: Mako
DIRECTIONS:
For directions to the Flying J enter: Flying J, 5901 Fairfield Rd, Columbia, SC 29203 in your favorite map directions software.

RETURN RIDE (To Columbia SC):
Everyone is on their own getting back home. Personally, I will be heading back south toward Columbia around 1530 (3:30 PM) to get home in time for the South Carolina Vs Arkansas football game at 1930 if anyone wishes to ride along.

Please let us know who plans on making the Columbia SC link-up ride as you can below. Thanks.

SOME OTHER RIDE-RELEVENT, YET "MISCELLANEOUS" INFO

Present (October 26) gasoline prices at the Flying J are $3.19 gal (Reg)

WEATHER:
Although it's early, expect temps to be in the low 50's when we depart Columbia and in the low to mid 60's up in Shelby NC. Dress to your comfort level. Would recommend chaps, gauntlets, layers on your chest, neck protectiona and sunglasses when heading home (sun will be low and in your eyes heading south).

SAFETY:
Whether riding with us or on your own, please stay alert. Ride safely and with due caution making your way on our SC roads.

If you are new to South Carolina as a rider then please note the following:
  • Do NOT expect logic or common sense to prevail on South Carolina roads. SC in #1 in HS drop outs and ranked 48th in the nation in education (we moved up one last year). It shows in our general lack of driving skills.
  • There is no helmet requirement in South Carolina. However, a helmet of some sort IS required when crossing any state line that borders SC. Novelty helmets have never been an issue for SC riders crossing GA, TN or NC state lines - to my knowledge - and are quite common.
  • 3 of every 5 drivers in SC is NOT insured.
  • Trailers are NOT required to have working tail lights or signals off the interstate.
  • Scooter riders are 90% likely to be repeat DUI offenders.
  • Child driven ATVs can fly out in front of you from out of the trees at any time on country roads.
  • Do NOT expect SC cagers to have their lights on early in the AM or at sunset.
  • Do NOT expect to see turn signals from SC cagers.
  • DO expect SC cagers to pull out in front of you at any time, especially if they've been waiting for you to get there for over 60 seconds or there is at least a half mile of clear space directly behind you.
  • Be aware of deer at all times coming out onto the road from any environment...even in towns.
  • SC dogs on the side of country roads are NOT man's best friend...especially those whose heads are bigger than their chests...
  • If you've been waiting at a stop light for 120 seconds you may legally proceed using the same safe methods you would if the light were a stop sign.
:hmm2:Oh yeah...

DON'T forget your cameras! :rolleyes:

If this goes as badly as planned THIS could become a tradition! :patriot:

:choppersm :choppersm :choppersm :choppersm :choppersm

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
thanks for the invite, but my calendar finally pulled up and we have another camp out for the scouts that weekend...wishing you guys the best with a safe and happy time by all. chance was torn between the 2, but in his words, "i have to earn my badges first"...what a kid :)

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a good time if I can make it... That is one damn detailed post... Nice!
Hope you can, Jon. Several folks are coming from farther out than one might expect.

Got THIS PM from G3Truk:

G3Truks said:
I'm in!! You guys keep me going all day every day. Looking forward to meeting you.

My Brother and Mullet from Florida are coming up too. They will likely be riding up 321.

T-Town from Birmingham is coming with me if our schedules work.

Some of us will ride up toward Boone, weather permitting, on Sunday to visit relatives. You are more than welcome to ride along if you want.

Thanks for organizing this.

Frank
So that's already six coming in from the south and west already! :mosh:

Frank's also given the whole day it's new name: The Livermush Express.

thanks for the invite, but my calendar finally pulled up and we have another camp out for the scouts that weekend...wishing you guys the best with a safe and happy time by all. chance was torn between the 2, but in his words, "i have to earn my badges first"...what a kid :)
Sorry you can't make it, but you two have fun and good luck with the merit badges!

:hmm2:Come to think of it, Chance is probably too young to be experimenting with Liver Mush anyway... :nono:

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
I can't wait this should be a good time, first long ride for me on the X, I'm looking forward to it!

Does anyone in Central FL, have a sissy bar bag I could borrow for the trip? I don't have the funds to get the ones I really want right now and take the trip, and I don't want to have to buy something cheap just to get me up there if I don't have to. I figure on being on the road 4 if not 5 nights so the saddlebags aren't going to cut it with having to carry warm (read bulky clothes).

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't wait this should be a good time, first long ride for me on the X, I'm looking forward to it!
Glad you're coming.

I'm sure you're gonna learn a LOT, then! Hopefully you've thought enough ahead that it will all be pleasant.

By the way, if you dress in comfortably fitting layers rather than bulky gear and have good gloves and head/neck gear, the weather should be no issue for you at all this time of year, even in the early AM or late PM.

I will throw out the fact you need to remember to take butt and brain breaks.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

Does anyone in Central FL, have a sissy bar bag I could borrow for the trip? I don't have the funds to get the ones I really want right now and take the trip, and I don't want to have to buy something cheap just to get me up there if I don't have to. I figure on being on the road 4 if not 5 nights so the saddlebags aren't going to cut it with having to carry warm (read bulky clothes).
dont overpack, keep feet, hands warm. neck gaiter or good scarf should do. i'm sure others can help. Layers as Cage said, keep it simple. get an overnight bag and bungee it, that always works brother. keep it simple, really. no need for extra expenses, save it for gas...
enjoy the ride, stop if tired, even in cool weather, especially, keep hydrated. we dont need another hero.:choppersm
know your limitations, ride to tell us about them, it's cool. :patriot:
looking forward to seeing you soon:)

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An example:

Wearing a well fitting long-sleeved T Shirt, a regular T shirt over that, a light sweat shirt over that and just a wind-breaker with keep you warmer and safer on a bike ride than wearing a big bulky jacket or parka. Except for the clothing right next to your body, you can wear the same clothes day after day on a long ride. Just spread them out to air when you sleep. Undies, socks and T's are all you need in any "quantity."

You can put all that in a loose gym bag and just bungee it onto the back.

Doesn't matter what we say, though. No matter what you bring or don't bring on your first long trip, at least 2/3 of it will be wrong! :rolleyes:

·
Curmudgeon at Large
8,365 Posts
An example:

Wearing a well fitting long-sleeved T Shirt, a regular T shirt over that, a light sweat shirt over that and just a wind-breaker with keep you warmer and safer on a bike ride than wearing a big bulky jacket or parka. Except for the clothing right next to your body, you can wear the same clothes day after day on a long ride. Just spread them out to air when you sleep. Undies, socks and T's are all you need in any "quantity."

You can put all that in a loose gym bag and just bungee it onto the back.

Doesn't matter what we say, though. No matter what you bring or don't bring on your first long trip, at least 2/3 of it will be wrong! :rolleyes:
AND...since you'll be riding with my brother you'll have to think for two...LOL. Give him plenty of space especially around curves and convenience stores. BUT you've ridden with him before so you already know this. :choppersm

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Yee haw... thanks for writing this up so well Cage.. I have confirmed with the Shelby Cafe that they can put us all together once we have somewhat of a head count... I told them to get out their best Livermush as well.... (we'd be checking the born on date for sure...)

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
I suppose before the ride portion of this extraganza, we will try to ascertain those with the weakest stomach's so they can ride nearer the back of the pack... :eek:
Looks like I'll be our tail gunner! :icon_dizz

1 - 20 of 359 Posts