3 lbs. Shrimp w/ heads and tails on***
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 can Rotel tomato's w/ green chili's
1 can stewed tomato's
1 med. onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cloves minced garlic (personally, I use at least double that but I like garlic)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons sugar
***1 3/4 cup shrimp stock***
salt and pepper
Peel and dehead the shrimp throwing the heads, tails and peels in a pot of simmering water.:stirpot: This will make your shrimp stock and is one of the most important steps. Start out with 2 1/2 cups of water as it will cook down to about what you need. this should take about 20 min give or take. You'll be able to smell it when it's ready.:swoon:

Saute' the shrimp in a large skillet with the butter until the shrimp start to turn pink then remove. Add the flour and stir 'til it starts to brown lightly then add the chopped seasonings and saute'. Add the tomato's, thyme, bay leaves, sugar and your shrimp stock. Stir well, cover and simmer at least 20 minutes. Add shrimp back in, cook 'til tender (5-10 min.) add parsley right before serving over rice.

I've always found that this taste 10x better when put in a frig over night, reheated and served the next day but dig in whenever you want. It's so good, if you spill some on your head, your tongue will beat you to death trying to get to it.
I'm from New Orleans and this IS the real deal.
ENJOY!

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
3 lbs. Shrimp w/ heads and tails on***
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 can Rotel tomato's w/ green chili's
1 can stewed tomato's
1 med. onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cloves minced garlic (personally, I use at least double that but I like garlic)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons sugar
***1 3/4 cup shrimp stock***
salt and pepper
Peel and dehead the shrimp throwing the heads, tails and peels in a pot of simmering water.:stirpot: This will make your shrimp stock and is one of the most important steps. Start out with 2 1/2 cups of water as it will cook down to about what you need. this should take about 20 min give or take. You'll be able to smell it when it's ready.:swoon:

Saute' the shrimp in a large skillet with the butter until the shrimp start to turn pink then remove. Add the flour and stir 'til it starts to brown lightly then add the chopped seasonings and saute'. Add the tomato's, thyme, bay leaves, sugar and your shrimp stock. Stir well, cover and simmer at least 20 minutes. Add shrimp back in, cook 'til tender (5-10 min.) add parsley right before serving over rice.

I've always found that this taste 10x better when put in a frig over night, reheated and served the next day but dig in whenever you want. It's so good, if you spill some on your head, your tongue will beat you to death trying to get to it.
I'm from New Orleans and this IS the real deal.
ENJOY!

One question.... Where's the Okrey? (Okra)

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I made this tonight, it's chillin' in the ice box ( or refrigerator, whatever ), I'll let you know.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts