Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a PT92 or a 92FS.. Full sized automatic.

Have a licensed dealer to ship to, etc.. all above board.

Looking in the $300-$400 range.

Got something, shoot (ha!) me a PM.

Thanks!

-Gonz

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Beretta or Taurus?
A new Taurus PT92 can be had for that price.
It will be used in the Beretta for that range.
There are a buttload of police Berettas in the shops around here.
Most are stainless and go from 300-400. Blued are usually 300-350.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already got MScales on the job :)

Yeah, I know the beretta would be used. Everyone I talk to seems to think the fit and finish of the beretta is much nicer than the taurus.. But I have pretty large hands, and the beretta fit me perfectly.. Never used a tarus before, so Im going to go to a local range that rents them and check it out.

Just thought Id put the feeler out there, in case someone was sitting on one and contemplating selling it.

-Gonz

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Look at the Ruger line of fire arms. I am more than pleased with my two. P95 9mm. ($300-$350) and a LCP .380. ($250-$300)

Actually just walked in from the range and sat down here. A fun filled morning indeed! ;) I shot 350 rounds with no troubles at all.
Actually, I really like the P95 and you can buy these new for under $350. I woudl stay away from .380 because the price and availability of the ammo is high and at times hard to find. The .380 may be cheaper but the ammo is more the twice as much then 9mm.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im always the "you get what you pay for" kinda guy..

Ruger, obviously, is a known brand name.. but why are they so much cheaper than the Taurus or Beretta?

-Gonz

·
F rider
720 Posts
I don't know why Taurus is more than Ruger, I've had a Beretta, ruger, Taurus, smith and wesson, and a Springfield auto pistols. I like the Beretta best by far, and the Taurus least. They looked identical, but couldn't hit the same place twice with the Taurus, and could drive nails with the beretta. Just my .02

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Rugers are made in the USA with state of the art manufacturing. They price themselves about mid market and I own MORE Rugers then anything else. They make a great firearm and pretty much life time warranteed. Ruger builds guns to last and shoot well all the time. I own Colts, S&Ws, Kahr, Kel Tec, Desert Eagle and more but my Rugers out number all of the others put together. I love my .44 Mag Desert Eagle but Ruger does not make anything like that. Do not discount the Ruger as they make one of the BEST revolvers of them all.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Actually, I really like the P95 and you can buy these new for under $350. I woudl stay away from .380 because the price and availability of the ammo is high and at times hard to find. The .380 may be cheaper but the ammo is more the twice as much then 9mm.
The .380 ammo here is only around $2 more for a box of 50. Looking at my receipt from today; it was $13.90. A box of 9mm costs me $9-$15 depending on what I'm buying it for. (Shooters, or personal protection.)

I paid $309 for my P95 new. The guy I went with today had a Smith and wesson 9mm, and a Beretta .40, and he liked my P95 just about as much as his Beretta, and more than his S&W. It is quite accurate.

"Why is it cheaper?" Don't know. :hmm2: I guess for poor folks like me. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you like the beretta/taurus then get what you like, after all you are going to be the one shooting it. keep in mind though that in the realm of handguns, that one ranks as a safe queen because it is damn near impossible to conceal. the difference between the taurus and the berettas are so miniscule that you should find the deal that feels right to you. the design is so similar that almost all of the parts are freely interchangeable. as for the other guns mentioned in this thread, I would never own or operate a kel tec, hi point, or anything else similar to those. I am a Glock lover through and through and i could give you a thousand reasons why I believe that a glock is the best gun on the market, but you have to find the gun you like. I will say this, Gonzo was absolutely right in saying you get what you pay for. spend the extra little bit and get a gun that you know will be reliable.

p.s. You are in the market for a semi-auto handgun. an auto would be something like the glock 18, or even an uzi. Automatic weapons were banned in 1986. you can still find some in the US but they are pre-1986 and to own them you have to have a special liscence from the ATF giving them permission to search your house anytime for no reason. It also costs a few thousand dollars, and that is all if your state allows you to own one in the first place.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I don't own Beretta or Taurus but do have a Ruger. Not sure what model it was a repayment for a loan (yes, fully legal for those that wonder). It is a very nice firing weapon and very solid. Fires accurately and smooth. My wife doesn't care for it as the frame is a bit large which also is a drawback to it's concealability. But just another shout out for Ruger. I also own H&K and am a big fan of them but they are quite a bit more pricey.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
I don't own Beretta or Taurus but do have a Ruger. Not sure what model it was a repayment for a loan (yes, fully legal for those that wonder). It is a very nice firing weapon and very solid. Fires accurately and smooth. My wife doesn't care for it as the frame is a bit large which also is a drawback to it's concealability. But just another shout out for Ruger. I also own H&K and am a big fan of them but they are quite a bit more pricey.

Post a picture of the Ruger, and I bet we could figure it out for you.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Rugers are made in the USA with state of the art manufacturing. They price themselves about mid market and I own MORE Rugers then anything else. They make a great firearm and pretty much life time warranteed. Ruger builds guns to last and shoot well all the time. I own Colts, S&Ws, Kahr, Kel Tec, Desert Eagle and more but my Rugers out number all of the others put together. I love my .44 Mag Desert Eagle but Ruger does not make anything like that. Do not discount the Ruger as they make one of the BEST revolvers of them all.
I agree 100%. Ruger makes great firearms. There vaquero revolvers are great! My dad has a few af there auto loaders, and I have a flurry of there rifles. You can't go wrong with a Ruger.

As far as the major difference between Berretta and Taurus? Nothing realy but the name. The fit finish doesn't seem any better on the Berretta to me. I'd be more concerned with how well the fit in your hand, and while shooting. You ain't gonna ask an intruder how pretty it looks when he's coming at ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have a Govt Model 1911 .45, a .40 Glock, a .25 Colt (was my dad's), a .44 Mag S & W Revolver and just bought a Ruger LCP .380 for my wife. All the guns are good ones and I like each one for different reasons.

Suggest you shoot the gun at a range if possible before buying to find out what you like and don't like. I got rid of my Ruger P89DC because it was the sloppiest gun I had ever shot. On a bench rest I couldn't keep the pattern closer than 8 inches at 20 yards. Bought my glock and out of the box it was 2" at same distance. Not sure if I had a bad Ruger or what, but regardless I didn't feel confident in it so I got rid of it.

I ended up going with the .380 for my wife due to size and ease of concealment and fact it was smooth and wouldn't snag on anything. May as well not have a sight on it though as it is an up close gun (knew that going in so no issues).

Good luck in your search!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts