Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to install my new grips from Avon this weekend ( http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?...ManufacturerID=0&BikeType=Cruiser&CompanyID=0 ) And ran into a problem installing them. The actuator cam on the new grips was too big, so even with full slack on the throttle cable I couldn't get it to sit properly in the housing. To make matters worse, the cam was glued onto a gear (it's a universal, it had a separate cam for non Honda's) and anytime I put tension on the cam trying to put it in the glue would give up and the cam would pop off the gear.

So I put the stock grips back on. Any input would be appreciated. If there's not a way to put it on should I send them back and order different grips?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is the throttle sleeve integrated into the grip, or can it come out with a little force?

When I installed my Pro One grips, I had to remove the throttle sleeve from my stock grips and use it in the new grips for the same reason.

I simply swapped the throttle sleeves out. Same problem you are having. It was the easiest fix.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the throttle sleeve integrated into the grip, or can it come out with a little force?

When I installed my Pro One grips, I had to remove the throttle sleeve from my stock grips and use it in the new grips for the same reason.

I simply swapped the throttle sleeves out. Same problem you are having. It was the easiest fix.

Hope that helps.
I tried that. There's three allen set screws that seem to hold the new throttle sleeve in the new grip so I removed them and tried to remove the sleeve. Bent up the plastic trying to do it, couldn't get it. Stopped when I thought they might not give me my money back if I destroyed it trying to get the sleeve off lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the AVON grips and started the install process but I can't get enough slack in throttle cables to the damn thing off. I don't want to destroy the cable or housing in case I have to put it back together. I am getting very skeptical if I can do this on my own. I'd rather be riding.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,258 Posts
I just purchased the AVON grips and started the install process but I can't get enough slack in throttle cables to the damn thing off. I don't want to destroy the cable or housing in case I have to put it back together. I am getting very skeptical if I can do this on my own. I'd rather be riding.
Can you undo the handle bars themselves?

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
Remove the bolts holding the bars in place and then slide the bars to the left to remove the right grip and then to the right to remove the left grip.

Reactions: mjklaser
1 - 8 of 8 Posts