Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chrome Hater
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avon Grips and throttle cable issue [Solved]

I need help. I just got a set of avon grips with the throttle assist already attached. 270_270__images_inventory_parts_part--219808.jpg figured this would be one of the easiest mods to do. Well I was wrong, very wrong.

After about an hour messing with this POS I realized that adjusting the throttle cable at the top was not gonna be enough to insert the idle cable (not sure if that's the right word for it)

So I had to take the tank and airbox off to get to my carb to adjust the cable from there. I managed to loosen the cable enough to where I got both cable in. Once I did that I realized that the throttle assist was facing down. So in my ever so infinite wisdom I started adjust the cables to try and get it horizontal or a little below that.

In the process of doing this adjustment the throttle cable adjuster slipped out of the bracket and I can't for the life of me get it back on. I tried turning the adjuster nut back and forth and still have had no luck getting it back in the bracket.

I have this feeling that this is a super easy fix that I am just completely missing. It's late and I'm tired and throwing in the towel before I do something that I regret:banghead:

I always appreciate the wisdom and insight you guys give.

Thanks

·
Chrome Hater
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'm the only loser with these grips lol :banghead: I'll have to get back at it this weekend. :coffee:

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,254 Posts
I have Avon grips, though a different model. The way the throttle cables attach is probaby the same for both, however, I just can't remember the steps I had to do to get the grip and throttle cables on and adjusted.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
To get the most slack - the cables at the switch housing have to be threaded into housing -
plus the slack adjuster lock nut loose and barrel threaded to create the most slack.
(In the end - this barrel adjuster will be set to create the proper twist slack/ free play at the grip)

Usually un-threading cables from switch housing is what eats up all the slack that was needed.
(Have beer ready to pop open and control lever set to full lounge mode while starring at it.)
It'll make sense sooner.

The cables are actually called Pull/Pull - being that's what they do - but some have called them Pull/ Push.
But cables can't push - might as well try to push a wet noodle.

Anyway - the cable mount down at the carb - just make sure nut is backed off all the way on the cable -
it should go back into it. - Then set nut so it can't fall off the mount.
Also the cam wheel at carb - he can be moved for better access if needed for cable ends.
Then slide cable back into mount/stay.

Going back to the grip -

See if the grip itself of throttle assist can be removed from grip - usually the end cap allows this.
Possible mini Allen's hold it in place - it has to be adjustable -
because that's not possible to do with cables.

With both cables threaded back into housing - now manipulate the ball ends into the grip.
Usually a needle nose can steer them into place - but be careful not to nick up the cable wires.

Might want to rap tape around the needle nose tips to take the sharp edge away from wires of cable.
The added slack below at carb should make this easy at the grip.

(Posting close up of end of grip would help - or find link on-line showing it.)
Did they offer a PDF instruction sheet? Find that link as well so we can see it.

Hang in there -
Also the cam wheel at carb - he can be moved for better access if needed for cable ends.

In the service manual -
THROTTLE CABLES - PG 81 - CABLE STAY & DRUM - AT CARB -
Screen shot 2014-07-29 at 10.50.17 PM.png

At Grip - cable service - pg 50 / chapter 3-4
& pg 229 / chapter 13-5.
Screen shot 2014-07-29 at 11.29.38 PM.png

·
Chrome Hater
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Avon grips, though a different model. The way the throttle cables attach is probaby the same for both, however, I just can't remember the steps I had to do to get the grip and throttle cables on and adjusted.
All good Endy. I was just seriously starting to wonder if I was the only one with these grips. Thanks for the response.

To get the most slack - the cables at the switch housing have to be threaded into housing -
plus the slack adjuster lock nut loose and barrel threaded to create the most slack.

Usually un-threading cables from switch housing is what eats up all the slack that was needed.

The cables are actually called Pull/Pull - being that's what they do - but some have called them Pull/ Push.
But cables can't push - might as well try to push a wet noodle.

Anyway - the cable mount down at the carb - just make sure nut is backed off all the way on the cable -
it should go back into it. - Then set nut so it can't fall off the mount.

Going back to the grip -

See if the grip itself of throttle assist can be removed from grip - usually the end cap allows this.
Possible mini Allen's hold it in place - it has to be adjustable -
because that's not possible to do with cables.

With both cables threaded back into housing - now manipulate the ball ends into the grip.
Usually a needle nose can steer them into place - but be careful not to nick up the cable wires.

Might want to rap tape around the needle nose tips to take the sharp edge away from wires of cable.
The added slack below at carb should make this easy at the grip.

Posting close up of end of grip would help - or find link on-line showing it.
Did they offer a PDF instruction sheet? Find that link as well so we can see it.

Hang in there -

In the service manual -
THROTTLE CABLES - PG 81 - CABLE STAY & DRUM - AT CARB -
The instructions were comical to say the least. Basically it says to put the right throttle cam in place. I know I have the right one and I also put it in the right way. Checked this multiple times. After that it says to go to their website and the instructions are for an HD. Also to note they make it sound super easy not mentioning anything about loosening the throttle cable etc (unless I missed it). Here's the link to it. http://avongrips.com/shop/pages/Installation-Instructions.html

I think the throttle assist can be moved however what worried me slightly is that I assumed there was a reason why the throttle assist was in the position that it was in. When I put the grips in before attaching the cables it felt perfect. I guess my actual question would be, does it matter where the throttle cables attached to are in terms of grip position? or does it only matter that the cables are tight enough to work? (hope that makes sense)

Thanks for the insight Philscbx! Will tackle it this weekend. Have work and classes the next 3 days.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
We'll Go with Yes - The Cables dominate when installed - nothing else matters.
Where ever grip ends up at - that's the only choice.

Now rotate palm assist to where it works.
May have to make minor adjust when on the road after a day - so carry that tool with.

Now if the cushion on the grip is glued on - then breaking that bond to make grip move to preferred spot is the only way to have cushion pads where needed/ comfort or looks.

I edited the previous post a few times - so might want to recap on that some.

I can honestly say - that's the most worthless place for any instructions.
Even the Throttle Assist - zero.
Hit instructions for any option - it's the same worthless page that shows up. Wow.

Good LUck

·
Chrome Hater
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I finally got everything on the way its suppose to.... I think. I had to take the whole grip off so I could change the position of the throttle assist. Once I did that I started adjusting the cables.As I was doing this I ran into another problem. Turning the handle bars to the right the throttle will not snap back into place however it will when the wheel is straight or turned to the left.

I've lubed the cables. I've checked to see if there are any kinks in the line and I don't see any.

I noticed in the manual it says if it doesn't return properly I need a new throttle cable but its only on one side.....

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
When in full right lock the throttle/idle cables are bent the most. You can either live with this or reroute the cables to try to eliminate this too tight bend.G'day,Vinish

Reactions: spudbanker

·
Chrome Hater
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Have you adjusted the throttle cables down at the carb?
yes I have. That's actually the only way I was able to get the new throttle grip on.

Looking at the bike a minute ago I saw something that I guess I should have mentioned before as well. While I was doing the neck bearings I ended up moving my cables behind the triple tree. I noticed that when I move my bars to the right that the cables become bent to the point where they are getting stuck or not snapping back into place. So I ended up unscrewing the ferrules on the switch housing. Its a little better but still doesn't snap back all the way.

When in full right lock the throttle/idle cables are bent the most. You can either live with this or reroute the cables to try to eliminate this too tight bend.G'day,Vinish
Yes sir I just saw your post as I was typing. Thanks for the info. I think I'll just live with it. Just didn't want it to become a hazard.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Wire ties - using 3 at a time - aircraft style. Triple Wire Tie Aircraft Style.png

One will never fine wiring, fluid tubing, anchored down against framework on any aircraft.
The aircrafts vibrations alone will wear wireties down into chrome molly framework -
forcing any wire harness to wear through to bare wire, or fuel, oil leaks.

There's also 100's of throttle guide mounts to help keep them in control.
Once happy spots are located - then upgrade to real mounts

2 snug - one on bars, one on cables.
1 lose loop any size - between the 2 to act as suspension to limit movement to controlled point.

Can also do triple to just between cables in free air to keep then close together within 1/2" -vs getting out of control separately.

·
Chrome Hater
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wire ties - using 3 at a time - aircraft style. View attachment 108114

There's also 100's of throttle guide mounts to help keep them in control.
Once happy spots are located - then upgrade to real mounts

2 snug - one on bars, one on cables.
1 lose loop any size - between the 2 to act as suspension to limit movement to controlled point.
Oh cool! I will implement that idea.

Thanks a lot guys for the input. If I ever meet any of you guys beers on me! :cheers:

·
Official Fuddy Duddy
1,756 Posts
Dan I had the same exact issue and even went as far as to groove the inner cable area on the throttle boss for the Avon grip and it did not help at all....I just deal with it. Talk about frustrating though.

·
Chrome Hater
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dan I had the same exact issue and even went as far as to groove the inner cable area on the throttle boss for the Avon grip and it did not help at all....I just deal with it. Talk about frustrating though.
I went out on a short ride and it didn't give me any issues so I think I'm good for now. I guess its better than turning the handle bar and starts to rev up lol

·
Registered
2004 Honda VTX 1300C, All stock, for now anyway
35 Posts
are you fucking kidding me? Remove the tank just to put some damn grips on??????

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,170 Posts
are you fucking kidding me? Remove the tank just to put some damn grips on??????
Yes, but only If you need to make adjustments to the cables at the carburetor. Need to take the tank off to get the airbox off to get to the cables

·
Registered
2004 Honda VTX 1300C, All stock, for now anyway
35 Posts
Yes, but only If you need to make adjustments to the cables at the carburetor. Need to take the tank off to get the airbox off to get to the cables
Today, I tried to install my Avon grips. It was a no go. After about three hours of frustration, I called it quits and decided to just return them in the mail sometime this week. Now i gotta buy a stock throttle grip again lol. No way am i taking off the tank just to adjust the cables, im not experienced enough

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,170 Posts
It is only hard the first time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts