Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Just wanted to share my experience over the last 3 years with car tire on my VTX-1800R. At about 102,000 miles I put a Michelin 205 on my X. it was probably my 10th or so rear tire. ( I usually get about 10K per rear and I've tried Dunnies, Metzs, Bridgestone, Avons and NO burnouts....) So at a bit over 105,000 miles it SOUNDED like my tranny went out going from 2 to 3rd gear). I could sort of shift but no power to rear wheel. I was underemployed at the time so I didn't take it to my shop but to my buddy who is a terrific machinist/mechanic (used to design racing and other high performance cams as part owner of Delta Camshaft and wrenches his own harleys). We messed around thinking it was a u joint....nope, clutch, nope but I did put my second Barnett clutch in any ways since we found one ring of ONE spring broken. We did everything but split the case. So a year goes buy and I gotta get it out of his car port. We take it to a metric mechanic with 40 years experience including Honda dealer. Well, good news no need to split the case. Bad news was shaft splines and coupler were stripped. So....he replaced it. About 12,000 miles later...same damn thing! Now the first drive line I figure was ON me cause I rode the X really hard from day one when I got it in November of 2002. Lots of wheelies, racing and beating Harleys and metrics, many times over 130 and over a hundred several times a week and scraping footboards and highway bars. I stopped the wheelies after the fun of changing the fork seals, bushings at 60,000 miles. This time the fix was around 5-6 bills but I decided to go back to a 180 or a 200 tire. Now your mileage may very but I think the 205 car tire and the torque stresses it put on while cornering are ultimately a bit much for the shaft and its coupling. Yes, everything was well greased with proper paste. FWIW YMMV :hmm2:Mac Daddy

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,693 Posts
Interesting.

How many miles you have now?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
the flange/spline assembly has had issues. being make off center/tapered where the bearing are pressed in. this will cause the splines to eat itself up. you may have got a BAD one (new).

there is a STICKY here someplace about this.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Flange/spline in final drive/wheel is supposed to be re-lubed with moly paste every 10,000 miles....If that isn't being done, that'll wear out those parts PDQ....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EVERY time the rear tire was changed moly paste was used, either the time I did it myself or my trusted mechanics did it. I had a 1200 GL before the VTX and a CB 750K6. As I said I generally get about 10,000 miles on a rear tire. Now on my 3rd shaft counting the factory one and hope it lasts to 200K! Right now the bike has 121,473 miles. It had 400 miles on it when I bought it. As for handling, the car tire didn't bother me much on corners and of course pretty darn good cornering in the rain as well. It worked well in the snowstorm I ran into near the Canadian border as well. Later this week I will post photos of the coupling and shaft. Maybe Honda got in some bad steel, but for me, the only variable on the bike over the 121,000 miles has been the Michelin 205. So I switched back. Just relating my experience. As I said YMMV.

·
Curmudgeon at Large
8,365 Posts
​I'm convinced. I was gonna put a car tire on my Harley but you talked me right out of it. Best and most able conversation I've heard.

·
33,457 Posts
​I'm convinced. I was gonna put a car tire on my Harley but you talked me right out of it. Best and most able conversation I've heard.
Yeah you don't wanna wear out the rear flange splines...Bet that would cost you a pretty penny at the HD dealership....

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Didn't know Harleys had shaft drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car tire prolly not a problem on a belt drive HD, extra force just might wear your rubber band out a bit sooner. I have a friend who just put one on his v-rod. Required more effort than I would want but not as much room under a V-Rod fender as an 1800 Retro fender. Most 200s I have used have squeezed right in with no riding problems just a bit more challenging to install.Mac Daddy

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Thanks for sharing that info. I had decided to go DS when changing my rear tire out this year, but you've given me food for thought. :hmm2:

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Oh and Frank, it's not that I'm trying to convince you to go ahead and put a CT on your Harley...just sayin'.

I'm gonna get this out in the open air once and for all. I just don't like the look. The CT on a bike to me looks cheap and utilitarian. Kinda like those square metal bags and trunks you sometimes see on those dual purpose bikes. Yeah they're sturdy as hell and last forever but they look like crap and no way in hell am I putting one on my bike. Not my gorgeous 1800 C and I'd certainly never put one on a $20000 HD.
Not trying to offend all you darksiders , just saying it aint for me.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,693 Posts
So you saying the problem was the rear end where it meets the wheel wearing out or the internal part of the shaft itself?

I think CharlieD mentioned having the rear bearings go out more than once and lowering the torque on it stopped that issue I might be wrong on that though.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,693 Posts
Still gonna mount this up within the next 2-3 weeks, depending on temp outside...

Does that warning label say anything about not mounting on a MC rim? :p

I'm looking into getting one but still deciding, reading about some "downsides".

·
33,457 Posts
Does that warning label say anything about not mounting on a MC rim? :p

I'm looking into getting one but still deciding, reading about some "downsides".
Don't know..Only part of the label I've read is the tire size, then read the sidewall to make double sure I got the right size...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I need more data and a lot more many years of riding to top 100K...of all the darksiders...first I have heard of this experience.

Bull

·
Blessed beyond belief!!!
1,062 Posts
Still gonna mount this up within the next 2-3 weeks, depending on temp outside...

Your gonna love that tire Bill. Check with CharlieD's thread about breaking the sidewalls in at a lower psi then choose the one(psi) you like. I consider myself, now, a pretty adequate rider and this tire has been GREAT. My first DS from a MT and I could tell zero difference. I think a car tire looks badass on a bike. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts