Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead: Finally had enough of the loud pipes and have reinstalled the stock pipes. Damn are the stock pipes ever heavy!

There were times when I loved the sound of the Cobras, but after long rides without good earplugs it was just too much.

Interestingly, performance with the Ashford Airbox and 1 shim on the needle is still perfect after the change - no adjustment needed.

I'll be listing a pair of good condition Cobra Slashcut Slip-ons with Smartpartz baffles in case anyone is interested. Great if you want louder, but not overly obnoxious.

·
Registered
134 Posts
if you ever find pipes that are nicer than stock and just as quiet hit me up so i can buy some too, i hate the stocks but i also love my hearing, so the stocks stay until i find quiet pipes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Modify the stock pipes and your there. A little more sound and a little less money. Just remember. "loud pipes save lives" I am living proof. Living in the city there have been numerous times when I had to downshift and let her rip to get the attention of the idiot on their cell trying to merge on the interstate not seeing the bike in their mirror. And I had a guy actually tell me one time if I would have not made some noise he would have probably hit me because he didn't see me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
:banghead: Finally had enough of the loud pipes and have reinstalled the stock pipes. Damn are the stock pipes ever heavy!

There were times when I loved the sound of the Cobras, but after long rides without good earplugs it was just too much.

Interestingly, performance with the Ashford Airbox and 1 shim on the needle is still perfect after the change - no adjustment needed.

I'll be listing a pair of good condition Cobra Slashcut Slip-ons with Smartpartz baffles in case anyone is interested. Great if you want louder, but not overly obnoxious.
I have also gone back to the stock pipes, quite is better for my ears, besides - if I need to be heard I now have a really loud horn, and to be seen I have really bright lights!
As for a performance hit - there won't be one other than the extra weight. After-market pipes are 99.9% Bling, and nothing more.

·
Registered
875 Posts
They say loud pipes saves lives!!!!! I know when I am in my truck with the radio on and talking and stuff stock pipes are a little harder to hear on a bike than a bike with louder pipes(must check mirrors more often). But still louder pipes with a quieter baffles are still louder than stock... My stock pipes are quiet and I always wonder if they can hear me...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the Vance & Hines pipes and I thought that it was just a little to loud so I installed the "quiet baffles". It made the the sound just a little bit deeper and lower and now I love the way my pipes sound.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i have always used stock pipes so im not annoying anyone.
all the bikes that pass have to blast our ears just for fun.
if you like the 08 up pipes better than the bigger earlier ones
advertise for a pair. i got a set of new takeoffs for 100.00.
and your neighbors still like you--irv

·
Registered
223 Posts
personally, i like my stock pipes better than a bud's cobra exhaust. they are just sooooo loud. i like to take some long trips, and i don't think i could handle that loud of an exhaust. and if the pipes are gettin' too loud, and that means i'm gettin' old. then i must be aging super fast... cause i'm just 19. haha.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have always liked the stock pipes. They look good and sound just fine. Bike runs great...no problems with back fires and other accel/decel problems listed by many others with aftermarket pipes. Loud horn works just as well as loud pipes and I don't have to put up with the constant noise.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
i have always used stock pipes so im not annoying anyone.
all the bikes that pass have to blast our ears just for fun.
It's funny you mention this. I have the stock pipes on my 1300R. I was next to someone on a HD softail. We just happen to both going northbound. And he made it a point to wait until I accelerated before accelerating himself just to drown out my bike. I thought it was ridiculous. Oh, and i know it was intentionally because he did it more than once!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Fury pipe are a Tiny Bit Deeper in sound than the Stock X pipes. Love the deeper, NOT Louder sound. FWIW mine are off an 2010 Fury

1 - 16 of 16 Posts