Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 1300S is completely stock. It has a new direct replacement K&N air filter. I recently installed remote AF adjustment so I needed to tune the carburetor. I was able to use the Honda tuning procedure in the service manual. The Bike's running great maybe even a little better than before I touched it. The spark plugs look really good. She pops, not real loud, when I get off the throttle or down shift. The popping doesn't bother me in the least. I'm just wondering if I should consider it normal. Should I be concerned with something like premature valve damage? When I say completely stock, it still has operation Pair valve system and complete airbox including snorkel.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Removing the pair valve system and installing the block off plates (dimpled are easiest to install) will eliminate gurgling (which you do not mention) and reduce popping but not eliminate popping completely. A combination of airbox modification (at least snorkel removal and possible decap) coupled with rejetting and tuning the carb along with the pair valve removal will improve gurgling, popping, fuel mileage, bike longevity (by running cooler), engine performance, cold start ability, and will whiten you teeth.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removing the pair valve system and installing the block off plates (dimpled are easiest to install) will eliminate gurgling (which you do not mention) and reduce popping but not eliminate popping completely. A combination of airbox modification (at least snorkel removal and possible decap) coupled with rejetting and tuning the carb along with the pair valve removal will improve gurgling, popping, fuel mileage, bike longevity (by running cooler), engine performance, cold start ability, and will whiten you teeth.
Thanks

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,739 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300C
8 Posts
Last fall, my 2006 VTX 1300C started backfiring, too. It started very soon after I filled her up with 86 octane. Soon after, I switched to 93 octane and I have never had it since. It appears that my VTX was very sensitive to gas quality, so, I always feed her with 93 octane now..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine was popping a lot after I tuned the carburetor, when I started this thread. I've always put high test in my motorcycles, not sure why. Lately mine's been popping a lot less, not sure why, maybe warmer weather. I guess the stock bike's pop a lot until you do the pair valve removal. I'm really happy with my bike as is.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
618 Posts
She pops, not real loud, when I get off the throttle or down shift.
I would take a close look at the throttle sleeve diaphragm and the ACV(air cutoff valve) diaphragm for cracks and splits, mine was popping similarly a year or so ago and this is what I found:
20200306_130133.jpg
Don't know how it stayed running.
This is great info also:Carb Cleaning 101 | Honda VTX Forum (vtxoa.com)

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
The popping and backfiring is not being caused by the octane of the fuel you are using. The VTX line of bikes are NOT high compression and will receive no benefit whatsoever from using higher octane fuel. The only outcome of using higher octane fuel in a VTX is ending up with a lighter weight wallet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would take a close look at the throttle sleeve diaphragm and the ACV(air cutoff valve) diaphragm for cracks and splits, mine was popping similarly a year or so ago and this is what I found:
View attachment 241487
Don't know how it stayed running.
This is great info also:Carb Cleaning 101 | Honda VTX Forum (vtxoa.com)
Thanks looks like good info. I'm new to the vtx1300 only have it 6 months now so I'm never sure it's exactly right. It runs so good. I had a bottoming issue on my front suspension that I though might be normal for 20,000 miles, wasn't very concerned as I don't push the bike. When I popped the fork caps the springs were a bit tired, but still good, but the air was never purged out when the fork oil was changed so the oil was low and out of balance. It tracks so much better through turns and the bottoming issue is all gone now. It actually seemed pretty good before, but now it seems perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts