Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Backfiring and New idle problems

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Alirio 
#1 ·
So my 2006 Vtx 1300 had started to backfire recently. Real bad too it is constant and very loud back firing. It only happened when I let off throttle though. I changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the carb, and tweaked the f/a screw and that seemed to do the trick. Now it idles way to high and seemingly maybe a bit out of time. I’m not sure if that’s the right way to describe but I know how my bike sounds and that sounds off.
I should mention that I have a cobra exhaust, cobra intake, and jet kit on the bike.

#2 ·
I mean no insult so please do not take it that way - are you sure you adjusted the A/F screw and not the idle adjustment knob? If your bike is stock, the knob below the air box is the idle adjustment screw and NOT the A/F screw. If you have the aftermarket Glen's A/F screw, it hangs right next to the idle adjustment screw so make sure you are adjusting the proper knob.

#7 ·
It helps all of us when someone reports back with their findings. If I come on a forum and ask for help with something I feel I should report back and let people know what the deal was since people were kind enough to help out. Not everyone thinks like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.