Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery died yesterday. Put it on the battery tender all night long. Took it off check the standing still voltage 12.5.
Started the bike up three or four times, the voltage dropped down to 6.2 when starting.
When I revved it as high as it could go, it only went up to 13.5 V
I’m guessing dead battery or a bad battery rather, but what about the R & R? Or the stater? Can anyone tell from the symptoms?
Thank you

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
battery tender is NOT for charging a dead or near dead battery. not designed for in.. and not overnight...

BT has 1.25 amps... ....so a 1300 battery is 200 plus CCA... so 180 hours... to fully charge it.

a BT JR is 0.75 amps.. even slower.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But, the green light came on by morning time..
anyway, I’m guessing I need a new battery.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
YES... that shows not all batttery cells are working..

its a smart charger.. not a LOAD tester.

a battery can have 12 volts.. and zero amps to do the work.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,402 Posts
Last year my bike the voltage fine but dropped too low to keep bike running after cranking. New battery cured it.

If in doubt charge it up then 100 amp test it at auto store. It's probably got dead cells is my guess as SilverF mentioned.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Battery died yesterday. Put it on the battery tender all night long. Took it off check the standing still voltage 12.5.
Started the bike up three or four times, the voltage dropped down to 6.2 when starting.
When I revved it as high as it could go, it only went up to 13.5 V
I’m guessing dead battery or a bad battery rather, but what about the R & R? Or the stater? Can anyone tell from the symptoms?
Thank you
You need to try to fully charge the battery with a slow or trickle charger, not a BT. After it shows full.....take it out of the bike and to an auto parts store that will do a free 100 AMP load test, for a car. NOT a 20 or 25 amp test for a MC. THAT will show any weak or dead cells. The layman's test for 12.5 V or greater, does NOT tell weak or dead cells. Replace with an OEM Yuasa, not some cheap sale brand.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK guys, thank you all for your input.
I ordered from Amazon a
Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery.
The great thing is, I ordered it, as I mentioned, from Amazon and was offered an Amazon credit card with a $60 credit so the battery, with tax, came out to $15.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts