Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to remove my baffles (cobra slash downs) this weekend but only got as far as the tips. I could not get the baffles out. I did not want to do any prying or digging as I did not want to damage anything in the process. When I tried to put the tips back on but the lower one was so tight it wouldn't go. I left it off. Someone has suggested the I get the baffles out and cut them in half then reinstall them. What effects will the baffle removal have on the sound (I want louder) or the performance of the X all together? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
643 Posts
The baffles are held in with allen head set screws on the inside or bike side of the pipes. Just like the tips. Remove the screws and they'll come right out. You might have to loosen the heat shields to get the tips back in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even after removing the set screws those suckers still won't budge

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to get the tips back on. I believe I'll leave the baffles in. Some cities/towns do not appreciate the loudness of pipes and the local law enforcement agency will see that you pay for the baffle removal

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have Cobra Longs coming this week. How do you like the Cobra's? Anything in particular I need to know to do the install?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Cobras actually sound pretty good. They are loud. I figured to remove the baffles to make them louder. I must remember I am in front of the pipes so I do not hear the true loudness of the pipes. As far as the installation goes, the dealer put them. I purchased them with the bike. They also jetted it . I am a phone tech not a mechanic but will learn to be to keep from paying dealer prices on items I can install myself.

·
red rider
708 Posts
some baffles are hard to get out on my hk big 3s it took alot of pulling but they finally came out well worth it almost twice as Loud. lounder than preety much any harley. some baffles also have small welds to keep them in along with the allen screws hope this helps:cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the Cobra speedster longs and I removed my baffles about 3 weeks ago. The sound is louder but not over bearing. Not half as loud as my father's samson ground pounders on his harley. The Tone is very very nice. It made it a bit deeper and with the idle just right sounds great.. I didn;t have any problems removing the baffles. Just took the set screws out and took a of wire and reached in a grabbed them.. They are about 12 inches long... I don;t plan on putting them back in..

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
The thread to which you responded is ~14 years old. However, perhaps I can help. Even after removal of the set screw, I could not get some baffles out of a set of Vance and Hines Big Shots. Finally, I got an idea. There is a small raised bump on one side of the outer end of the baffle which holds the nut into which the set screw was screwed. I took a wood splitting maul that had an oval shaped handle that would just barely fit inside the baffle. After inserting the handle into the baffle, I could turn the head of the maul until the handle was wedged against the aforementioned raised bump. Then a further twist of the head broke the baffle loose and allowed it to spin. I could keep pressure on the head and spin/pull the maul and the baffle to which it was pseudo-attached out of the pipes.

·
Registered
2001 vt1100 areo. Plus a 2012 xlc 1200
34 Posts
I tried to remove my baffles (cobra slash downs) this weekend but only got as far as the tips. I could not get the baffles out. I did not want to do any prying or digging as I did not want to damage anything in the process. When I tried to put the tips back on but the lower one was so tight it wouldn't go. I left it off. Someone has suggested the I get the baffles out and cut them in half then reinstall them. What effects will the baffle removal have on the sound (I want louder) or the performance of the X all together? Has anyone done this?
I did something like that to my 2001 vt1100c3. I took to long centre punches an welded them end to end. 24” long an shoved them in my exhaust an punched out my baffles!!! Yae know i have some noise. Before that my lawnmower was louder!!! Lol. Its not overly loud but know i have a bit more then nothing i can hear the nice twin sound. Saw i guy do the same on YouTube. Love the sound now!😎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts