Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this typical wearing more on the left? I watched an hour long Dunlap video and the guy says he sees this be cause of long left turns, I assume intersections and such. Is this a reflection on my driving style? I’ve put about 1300 miles on this tire so it had low tread when I bought it. I rode 300 miles on a weekend and it was bald when I came back so now it’s parked till y’all help me find that Darkside symmetrical tire lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
Yes, greater left hand side tire wear is VERY much the norm in N. America. it has been attributed to various things including crowned roads couples with us riding on the right hand side of the road and longer left turns. Various people state unequivocally that it is caused by one thing or another with no actual evidence or data to support their position. Fortunately, the root cause does not matter. It happens, it is normal, and is not cause by your riding style. It has been reported hundreds and hundreds of times on many motorcycle forums in N. America.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,875 Posts
Can't hurt to make sure your forks are aligned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
At any given intersection in a country in which they drive on the right side of the road, right hand turns are made as quickly as from the right turn lane into the rightmost lane...at that very same intersection, one must cross the oncoming lane(s) as well as the intersecting road’s right lane(s) before reaching the destination road. Hence, North American drivers spend more time turning left than they do turning right, this is why motorcyclist see the left side of their tires wearing faster than the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, greater left hand side tire wear is VERY much the norm in N. America. it has been attributed to various things including crowned roads couples with us riding on the right hand side of the road and longer left turns. Various people state unequivocally that it is caused by one thing or another with no actual evidence or data to support their position. Fortunately, the root cause does not matter. It happens, it is normal, and is not cause by your riding style. It has been reported hundreds and hundreds of times on many motorcycle forums in N. America.
Agreed! ... crown of the road, especially if your community uses 'surface drainage" (opposed to underground "storm sewers"). These type of roads require a 'taller crown' (deeper gutters) so the angle is greater. My solution was to ride on Lhand of #1 lane (centermost lane, which is closer to level) to try to make tire last longer. PLUS, in AZ we have center turn lanes, which make for a great 'escape route' from #1, when 4 wheelers show-off their stupidity and lack of focus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is this typical wearing more on the left? I watched an hour long Dunlap video and the guy says he sees this be cause of long left turns, I assume intersections and such. Is this a reflection on my driving style? I’ve put about 1300 miles on this tire so it had low tread when I bought it. I rode 300 miles on a weekend and it was bald when I came back so now it’s parked till y’all help me find that Darkside symmetrical tire lol.
I’ve always understood that it’s because of the way the pavement is always cambered so that water runs off the side of the road. We ride on the right side, so the left wears more. In countries where traffic stays left, the tires wear on the right side for the same reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts