Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I need a ball bearings recommendation. Cruising down I 75 I had a horrible racket coming from the front end. A screatching and metal to metal clanging noise which stopped when the wheel did. I figure its the wheel bearings. Does any have a recommendation for after market bearings? or should I use OEM bearings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the pads 1st to rule that out. Unfortunately, I'll have to by a lift. I just hate spending money before Christmas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All Right! Just ordered some Alls balls bearings. My neighbor is a mechanic, Although not a MC mech, but he has access to a jack and will give me a hand. I love this site! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
21 Posts
before i bought a lift i would lean my bike over as far as possible and my wife would slide a concrete block under one frame rail then just upright the bike and scoot it over on the block presto

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Hi everyone, I need a ball bearings recommendation. Cruising down I 75 I had a horrible racket coming from the front end. A screatching and metal to metal clanging noise which stopped when the wheel did. I figure its the wheel bearings. Does any have a recommendation for after market bearings? or should I use OEM bearings?

Knees, take a look at the following lift. You can shim the lift and chocks and lift the bike as high as you want. The lift will allow you to do anything that you want to the bike just as you see it. Wishing you a nice day. :patriot:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how it comes out. I would just like it fixed before the meet and greet on Dec 11th.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the bearings have been replaced. Apparently water seeped into the seal causing the old bearings to rust. They came out in 7 peices! I happened to be on an everglades ride and was cruising home on I75 before I had any clue something was wrong. God must've been watching me, because I could have easily been road kill. Another lesson learned in caution.

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Well the bearings have been replaced. Apparently water seeped into the seal causing the old bearings to rust. They came out in 7 peices! I happened to be on an everglades ride and was cruising home on I75 before I had any clue something was wrong. God must've been watching me, because I could have easily been road kill. Another lesson learned in caution.
WOW bearing failure on the front wheel....not a good thing!:icon_eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts