Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a new battery for my '05 VTX1300 and it wont hold a charge for more than a few days. Other than a bad battery what could cause the battery from draining like this? And what can I do to repair it? Thank you.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
There's a short someplace, that's causing it then...A pinched wire that has any insulation stripped exposing bare wire to metal contact will drain a battery in short order...Not any fun, but you're gonna have to track it down and fix it...

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
It is going to take time to trace it out then.

what you are going to have to do is pull all the fuses then check battery volts put in one fuse and check again so on and so on.

when you put in a fuse that is causing the leakage the volts should drop just a little and that is the circuit you will have to trace.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Could be a failing stator. That would cause it to not recharge the battery as you ride. I don't know of a history of this with the VTX, but the Harleys are known for it.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Check two places. there is a plug in a boot behind the left rear cover. Also check the plugs in the boots under the seat on the left side of the bike just ahead of the battery. Look for burning in the plug (blackness).

:patriot:Doug

·
Liberal Peace-Lover
1,064 Posts
Is it a couple of days worth of riding, or a couple of days worth of sitting unridden? My old VTX would 'eat' batteries every 3 months or so due to a bad primary chassis ground, but that was only if ridden- if sitting, say over the winter, it would hold a charge just fine, it was just while being run that the lack of good ground was killing the battery.

More info on this fix is here, it's for the 1800 but the same problem can occur on the 1300, and the fix is the same. It basically involves pulling the tank, wirebrushing the corrosion off of the ground terminal and chassis ground point, coating the contact points in dielectric grease, and then coating the whole assembly in RTV to seal out water/humidity. If you don't want to do all of that without first confirming that this is a valid fix for you, a shortcut is to bond a high-gauge piece of wire between the battery's negative post and the secondary electronics ground under the right side cover. I used some 8ga wire I had from work (came with lugs on it ;) and did the wirebrush/dielectric grease/RTV treatment to that assembly, and that solved the issue. I still cleaned up the primary the next time I had the tank pulled, but it stopped the symptom of 'eating' batteries.

You're in McKinney- I'm in Grapevine- if you want to try the shortcut temporarily, let me know and I can hook you up with some wire. :D

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I've had 3 batteries that the acid level was below the top of the plates and that will kill a battery. I have a bottle of battery acid on hand so I can keep mine filled.

Doug:patriot:

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a great day. :patriot:You mentioned the battery won't hold a charge more than a few days....is that with you riding the bike or the bike just sitting? Should you be riding the bike and the charge will last for a few days, your charging system needs to be looked at. Should the bike be sitting and losing it's charge, you have something draining it down. Hope your problems are minor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts