Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having problems with my bike. It starts fine when cold, then after riding for thirty to forty five minutes the speedometer quits and then it will die riding down the road. I have put a new battery, new regulator, and new stator on it. Stated it up and thirty minutes later it was dead on the side of the road. I didn’t have any problems until I installed the Bluetooth speakers. I raised the gas tank up and put all wires under tank but did not remove the tank. I wired the Bluetooth directly to the battery. After the first time going dead I removed the speakers. This is when I replaced everything. it starts fine after sitting for a few hours but will go dead after riding 35 minutes. I checked and the battery is charging when idleing and when I rev it up the meter will go up to 14.2 sometimes 14.3. Does anyone have any ideas what I can check.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
First off charge your battery up to full and then take it to one of the big name auto parts stores and have it tested on a 100 amp tester (or go to Harbor Freight and buy your own 100 amp battery tester for about $20.00 or so dollars and then you can check it right on the bike at home). If the problem persists I would disable the blue tooth system and see what happens then. Keep us informed going forward and we can go from there.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
When the bike dies on you, what is the battery voltage then? Are you sure it is charging system related? If starts back up after sitting for awhile then it may not be the battery and such. When it dies on you is it just like you hit the kill switch? Are the lights still working? If so you may have pinched the vent hose for the tank, which will kill the flow of gas to the carb, when you lifted the tank and put it back, because a vacuum in the tank will form from doing that. I have done it on my 1800 and there I was on the side of the road for about 30 mins and it would go again. When it was 100F out. That sucked.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the bike dies on you, what is the battery voltage then? Are you sure it is charging system related? If starts back up after sitting for awhile then it may not be the battery and such. When it dies on you is it just like you hit the kill switch? Are the lights still working? If so you may have pinched the vent hose for the tank, which will kill the flow of gas to the carb, when you lifted the tank and put it back, because a vacuum in the tank will form from doing that. I have done it on my 1800 and there I was on the side of the road for about 30 mins and it would go again. When it was 100F out. That sucked.
The battery is dead. First my speedometer quits working then then everything is blank, light is very dim. It will die as I’m riding and when I pull over the battery is dead. I’ve checked my battery and it’s good. I put jumper cables on it and let it charge for about ten minutes and that was enough to get me home

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
Ok, so it's running off the battery while you are on the road, but will show that it's charging while you are sitting on the kickstand. That is indeed very odd. It would be great to have a voltmeter on the bike so you can see when the charging system quits working. Gotta be a wiring problem somewhere. Perhaps one of the stator wires on the harness side is breaking and the vibration is breaking the connection. Could be the same with the regulator. Man I hate electrical problems. They can be such a PITA to deal with. You said the battery dies on you and you pull over. The next thing you said was that the battery is good. I'm going to have to assume you mean it was rechargeable. That is good because too many times of draining the battery like that and soon it will not be so good. Ok, let's try this. With the battery fully charged up and the seat off, put the voltmeter on the battery and start the bike. just at idle it should be just over 14v. Grab the wires at the stator and wiggle them around checking to see if the voltage changes. If it does, you found the issue, at least the area of the issue. If it doesn't change, move to the regulator wiring. Try the same thing there as well. I hope one of the two areas is where the problem is, for your sake. If it is then narrow it down to which wire and cut out the bad section. If it's the plug then get a new one and connect it to the harness. If that is not the problem we will have to try something else and right now I can't think of it, but when I can I will post back. You did make sure all your connections from everything else you touched while installing the speakers were good, right? Double check those as well.

Reactions: 68valiant

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
BTW, which model and year bike do you have? I want to check out the wiring harnesses for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so it's running off the battery while you are on the road, but will show that it's charging while you are sitting on the kickstand. That is indeed very odd. It would be great to have a voltmeter on the bike so you can see when the charging system quits working. Gotta be a wiring problem somewhere. Perhaps one of the stator wires on the harness side is breaking and the vibration is breaking the connection. Could be the same with the regulator. Man I hate electrical problems. They can be such a PITA to deal with. You said the battery dies on you and you pull over. The next thing you said was that the battery is good. I'm going to have to assume you mean it was rechargeable. That is good because too many times of draining the battery like that and soon it will not be so good. Ok, let's try this. With the battery fully charged up and the seat off, put the voltmeter on the battery and start the bike. just at idle it should be just over 14v. Grab the wires at the stator and wiggle them around checking to see if the voltage changes. If it does, you found the issue, at least the area of the issue. If it doesn't change, move to the regulator wiring. Try the same thing there as well. I hope one of the two areas is where the problem is, for your sake. If it is then narrow it down to which wire and cut out the bad section. If it's the plug then get a new one and connect it to the harness. If that is not the problem we will have to try something else and right now I can't think of it, but when I can I will post back. You did make sure all your connections from everything else you touched while installing the speakers were good, right? Double check those as well.
Thank you I’m going to try this

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having problems with my bike. It starts fine when cold, then after riding for thirty to forty five minutes the speedometer quits and then it will die riding down the road. I have put a new battery, new regulator, and new stator on it. Stated it up and thirty minutes later it was dead on the side of the road. I didn’t have any problems until I installed the Bluetooth speakers. I raised the gas tank up and put all wires under tank but did not remove the tank. I wired the Bluetooth directly to the battery. After the first time going dead I removed the speakers. This is when I replaced everything. it starts fine after sitting for a few hours but will go dead after riding 35 minutes. I checked and the battery is charging when idleing and when I rev it up the meter will go up to 14.2 sometimes 14.3. Does anyone have any ideas what I can check.
All good suggestions so far I'd say, Remove the blue tooth wires at the battery to eliminate them completely. If you can connect your volt meter to the battery with alligator clips and duct tape the meter to your tank so you can test ride and view it. Time your ride to see if its consistent with each time you ride, to help determine if it is insulation breakdown. 'd like to think all the new parts are good but there is always that possibility. You could do an ohms test with the new parts, stator, regulator/rectifier, and compare to the ones you replaced just to help rule things out. Recheck under the tank and everywhere you were working on since it was fine before you hooked up the blue tooth. I don't know if this is possible or not and I know that ignition coils and the starter and starter relay are NOT part of the charging system but IF they are failing because of insulation breakdown they will usually fail about the same time each time, example, 30mins, and if they are maybe they could be drawling or grounding excessive voltage. Its not likely considering it was fine before and then not after blue tooth but I'm just trying to think of anything I can. Try to determine when it goes from charging to not charging and dead by watching the volt meter while riding should help us determine that. IT would be nice to know if when it dies, if you had another known good battery, if that battery would start the bike right away while everything is still hot and if is charging. IF you can do this, switch the batteries out instead of using jumper cables. Just trying to help and always willing to learn. Good luck

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,297 Posts
Sounds like it "could be" a simple case of loose battery cables. The VTX mantra of tighten with a 10mm wrench or socket and not just a screwdriver. I had the same sort of problem where the bike would cough and die and odometer would reset. Also get that battery checked like others have suggested.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ what he said also. Check your ground connections while you are at it. There is a sticky somewhere about that and what can happen if you do not take care of it.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have to have any special tools to change stator. Do you have to pull the fly wheel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The new stator I bought came from China and it lasted a few hours. Got a ricks stator on order maybe that’s was my problem I tried to save money and know going to get the one I should have got at first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like it "could be" a simple case of loose battery cables. The VTX mantra of tighten with a 10mm wrench or socket and not just a screwdriver. I had the same sort of problem where the bike would cough and die and odometer would reset. Also get that battery checked like others have suggested.
I would also try tightening the battery cables first.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
Did you figure it out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts