Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually here I gotta replace my battery. Probably gonna be something that happens next spring but I know its time to put this one away. Besides the problems I had earlier with what could be the original battery, I noticed while making my wollie world light add ons that the positive terminal contact is in rough shape and is cracked.

So.....does it matter what battery or do you have recommendation on what you've had before? Assume any replacement has to have the same goofy terminal with the loose nut in the lead contact thats tough to work with?

How much have you paid for replacement batteries and whats the life of these? Is there any way of using a different terminal configuration....I really do not like these bolt down through the middle of the terminal to pick up that floating nut.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Eventually here I gotta replace my battery. Probably gonna be something that happens next spring but I know its time to put this one away. Besides the problems I had earlier with what could be the original battery, I noticed while making my wollie world light add ons that the positive terminal contact is in rough shape and is cracked.

So.....does it matter what battery or do you have recommendation on what you've had before? Assume any replacement has to have the same goofy terminal with the loose nut in the lead contact thats tough to work with?

How much have you paid for replacement batteries and whats the life of these? Is there any way of using a different terminal configuration....I really do not like these bolt down through the middle of the terminal to pick up that floating nut.
Auto zone $ 48

·
Registered
115 Posts
I personally only like Yuasa batteries for all my motorcycles. The ones I have tried from Autozone or Walmart last about a year and are toast. I have had a few buddies that their cheapy batteries lasted longer that that but not by much.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
seems like most of the members got it right. Yuasa is the way to go in my opinion. Also, to avoid sulphation of the cells especially if your garage or shed is unheated, a battery tender will help give longer battery life as posted by CTGoodman. I have seen the non yuasa batteries fail in only one season. just shop for price on the model yuasa needed for your bike. good luck. :patriot: Bry

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I went ahead this morning and ordered this one:

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=501&str=12&ID=373947758

Yuasa surely gets great reviews. I'll have it and store it until next spring when I'll add the battery acid and fire it up.

Also got delivery of Glens clutch pull relief gizmo on friday. So I'll hook that up this weekend, finish putting on the hand wind deflectors and last night got the oil and filter changed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Moorso, Was that still the original battery in your 2004c? I just bought a silver 2004c and it still has the original battery. The previous owner always used a battery tender. I have had zero problems with mine at this time but think I should replace it next spring.
I have heard it can be hard on your charging system if the battery is getting weak and it needs to charge it more because its old. Is that true?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moorso, Was that still the original battery in your 2004c? I just bought a silver 2004c and it still has the original battery. The previous owner always used a battery tender. I have had zero problems with mine at this time but think I should replace it next spring.
I have heard it can be hard on your charging system if the battery is getting weak and it needs to charge it more because its old. Is that true?
I assume it was the original battery. Havent pulled it out yet so dont know for sure. The positive terminal is cracked anyway and I cant tighten the bolt up real hard, so whether its the original or a replacement doesnt matter....I need to replace it anyway.

Cant comment about the charging of a weak battery....dont know, but I do know you bought the fastest vtx when you picked up the silver one. :D Hiyo Silver, Away !!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have heard that about the silver ones also! The guys with the black ones think theirs are the best buy we know better:]

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Not a battery expert but your bike is charging all the time so I don't think it would work harder. It recharges at a rate and when it is done it is done, it may take longer but it doesn't work harder. A low battery may be bad for the starting system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Daytonavtx, Thanks for the response. I am not sure if a weak battery makes the alternator or whatever it is called on a motorcycle work harder or longer or not. I will need to look into that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yuasa makes a 260 cca battery--ytx14HBS -it is sold through
battery stuff.com. i use that # in my 1300 and honda rubicon.
not cheap but higher capacity especially with a winch, power
plow angle and extra lights on the 4 wheeler in the winter.
battery tenders on both also.

·
Registered
780 Posts
DKS, that is right. When your battery show signs of ageing replace it before you get stranded. Also install the tail from a trickle charger right to your battery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts