Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these 2 topics have been threaded before, but I am a bit confused about some things. I would like to purchase a battery tender and a 12 volt acc.

I undertsand that I just connect the pigtail straight to the battery for the tender. I have then seen that I have a couple of options for the 12 V ACC connection; pigtail or directly to the battery. Soooo...

- Is there an advantage to one or the other types of connections for the 12V ACC?

Next, I have read about not connecting the 12V ACC directly to the battery (or I suppose to the pigtail). Instead, others are wiring them to a switch or other fuse? I am not sure if I am using the correct terminolgy on that one:)

- Is there any reason not to connect directly to the battery or what is the advantage of a switch?

I hope this made sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll take a stab....You at the very least want your outlet fused. If you have a short with no fuse, you can fry wiring and possibly your bike. Alot of the threads talk about using relays so the power is only on when the key is on. Not sure, but that might be the switch you're refering to? If you want power without the key on you just have to remember to unplug your tunes or you'll drain your battery. Still use an auxilliary fuse. If I was going to do this, I would seriously look into a power block mod.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Exactly what he said...personally my accessories do not turn of when the bike its turned off

I'll take a stab....You at the very least want your outlet fused. If you have a short with no fuse, you can fry wiring and possibly your bike. Alot of the threads talk about using relays so the power is only on when the key is on. Not sure, but that might be the switch you're refering to? If you want power without the key on you just have to remember to unplug your tunes or you'll drain your battery. Still use an auxilliary fuse. If I was going to do this, I would seriously look into a power block mod.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a power plug from Whitehorse Gear and wired it directly to the battery. It comes with an in-line fuse. I then mounted the plug to the upper mounting bolt of my highway bars using a little bracket I constructed out of polished aluminum. It looks almost stock. It's out of the way but easy to get to when I want to connect something to it - such as my GPS.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Best bet for accessory 12v connections is a power/fuse box like this:
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
It doesn't have to be this one exactly, but you get the idea. FWIW the battery tender pig tail is multi-functional, you use it for "tending" the battery, and can also be used as a power point for accessories that have the same connections. It is fused from the factory, so if you want, you can hook directly to the battery or, to a fuse/power block. Hope this helps.

·
Floor Board Scraper
623 Posts
The choice is yours.

On my bike I did the Power Distribution Block Mod (added multiple fused circuits). My distribution block is wired directly to the battery, so all of my accessories have 12V all the time. I use it to power my cruise control (also has a keyed power source), my aux highway lights (relay triggered by handle bar mounted switch that is on a keyed source), and my 12V power outlet that is always powered.

So, you have 2 options. Pigtail for the charger, or the 12V outlet for the charger. The pigtail is small and is nothing more than a small plug that can be hidden behind a side cover. The outlet is larger and will need to be mounted to the bike somewhere (should be mounted, handlebar or saddle bag ect), but you can use the outlet to charge a cell phone/GPS/??? and when the bike is in storage you can use the 12V outlet as the charging point.

On my bike I use the 12V outlet as my charging point. I have an outlet mounted in my right saddlebag and on my handlebars for my GPS. During the winter I just plug in my battery tender to one of the 12V outlets on my bike since my outlets are always powered (not key sourced). There is no way my phone or GPS would kill the battery overnight if I were to accidentally leave them turned on.

Hope this helps you in making a decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts