Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2005 1300
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I have a 2005 1300c that is new to me. I’m having an issue with the battery on start up. Slow crank when first trying to start. Then battery only clicks ……
Voltage is 12.2 with everything off.
When running it’s 14.45
My question is, Is 14.45v too much?
is it over charging the battery?

I read many battery threads last night and was able to refill the battery water levels (all were low)

Is the 14.45v burning up the fluid ?
Please let me know.
Thank you all.

· Registered
18,785 Posts
You need to fully slow charge the battery, then remove it and take it to an auto parts dealer that will do a free 100 AMP Auto Load test- NOT a 20 amp motorcycle load test. You probably have a weak cell or more, and this is the only way you will know how good or bad your battery really is.

· Registered
137 Posts
What were the rpms when you measured 14.45? 14.45 is strong but not wrong, however if this was at or near idle rpms then the actual running charge voltage might be 16-18V.
12.2V is too low for a charged battery, it should be ~12.7 after a resting period (several hours) after a full charge..
I'd ensure the charge voltage is correct at running rpms of 13.8 to 14.5. If so then move on to the battery, check connections to ensure they are completely tight. If the connections are tight and the charge voltage is correct then likely the battery is weak.

Reactions: PaXman11

· Super Moderator
12,586 Posts
It is very easy, fast, and free to check the battery. Do that first. Then install the good or a new good battery, make sure the battery terminal bolts are tight (use a socket or wrench and NOT a screwdriver), and then look at other possibilities if the problem persists. If you do need a new battery, do not buy a cheap one. Plan to spend at least $100 on a battery. Yuasa batteries are HIGHLY recommended by many of our members.

· Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
1,201 Posts
If you do have to replace your battery. This battery is for the 1300, and has more CCA. Just be careful, it seems a lot of people over the past couple years have been getting wrong side battery posts (+ and - are on wrong side). This battery is the correct orientation and the correct model number (if you want to use it to order somewhere else):

Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery + Free Shipping (amazon.com)

· Registered
52 Posts
If you do have to replace your battery. This battery is for the 1300, and has more CCA. Just be careful, it seems a lot of people over the past couple years have been getting wrong side battery posts (+ and - are on wrong side). This battery is the correct orientation and the correct model number (if you want to use it to order somewhere else):

Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery + Free Shipping (amazon.com)
Interesting to see YUASA battery specs and showing a KYOTO battery.
Some kind of BS going on...
YTX14H-BS 240 CCA battery at Amazon has a (9") dimension.. BS!!
Go to YUASA to verify the battery specs

· Registered
1,201 Posts
Interesting to see YUASA battery specs and showing a KYOTO battery.
Some kind of BS going on...
YTX14H-BS 240 CCA battery at Amazon has a (9") dimension.. BS!!
Go to YUASA to verify the battery specs
Yeah, I searched my Amazon history that was in my history, I do remember seeing a YUASA image when I purchased it, and I can confirm that I did receive a YUASA. My purchase date was 5/12/2020.

· Super Moderator
12,586 Posts
Probably just a generic image of a black motorcycle battery. I would bet that you receive a Yuasa battery.

Reactions: JPT

· Registered
2007 1300C
895 Posts
Yeah, I searched my Amazon history that was in my history, I do remember seeing a YUASA image when I purchased it, and I can confirm that I did receive a YUASA. My purchase date was 5/12/2020.
When I clinked on the link, this was at the top left corner: Last purchased Feb 1, 2022
I got a YUASA battery, can't remember what picture was there

· Registered
1,201 Posts
When I clinked on the link, this was at the top left corner: Last purchased Feb 1, 2022
I got a YUASA battery, can't remember what picture was there
Yeah. I’ve posted that same link every time someone asks about batteries since 2020 when I got mine. The picture definitely was Yuasa the last time I posted it. I noticed the picture before @Hans&feet posted about it. I just posted it because I know what I got, and all the comments still say Yuasa.

Amazon is great about returns. So if for some reason anyone who orders doesn’t get the right product, Amazon will take it back.

Reactions: 07Blackcherry

· Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
111 Posts
If the electrolyte was pretty low, that might be an indicator of overcharging. After filling it will need to be fully charged. As was stated you need to test the system above idle, and it should not exceed 15.6, at least according to the testing procedures in the link.

Troubleshooting Honda VTX1800 Charging System | Partzilla.com

· Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
111 Posts
I had a typo in my post about testing, and corrected it. Charging voltage should not exceed 15.6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts