Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm new to motorcycles and I tend to overthink the complexity of most mechanical/electical issues.

I have 2006 1300R, all stock.

I want to upgrade my headlight. Can I just swap in an LED bulb? Well of course I can plug the bulb in, but will it be an improvement or do I have to get a whole new headlight? Everything I read says that LED's don't work great with reflector type housing (which I assume is what is on these bikes).

If I can and if it will be an improvement, what bulb to buy considering I also want to add driving lights later and would like for them to "match" in color as much as possible.

I don't plan for this to be my "forever" bike but I do intend to keep it even when I move on to the next bike so I don't want to go crazy but do want to upgrade my lighting all around.

Thanks,
Okie

·
Registered
89 Posts
I upgraded to a LED a few years ago. Just a bulb swap basically with a small fan in the back.
You will notice some improvement over stock, but nothing to write home about.
Best Upgrade is the VTX Daymaker, Totally redesigned headlight and mounting bracket.
Google search, good informative website also.

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
805 Posts
Yea like post #2 said, the Daymaker is a whole new unit that is improved over the stock housing. Now, I had good luck putting in a LED headlight replacing the halogen in my VTX when I had it. There was a little fan on the back of it. It's a H4 style so it will fit in the mounting tabs at the back of the stock headlight. I can't find where I got the one I used that I really liked on eBay or wherever it was. And my VTX is gone. But technology keeps getting better on the LEDs, too. But here's something like probably what I had. 6000k is my favorite color. Nice bright white, maybe just the tiniest tinge of blue.

·
Too short for my weight
5,586 Posts
I put in a ndana headlight from Sam beavin, and I love it. I bought a cheap knock off led for my 1800 and with the 2 side by side I can honestly say I immediately ordered another from Sam Beavin. 65 bucks and worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks,got it.... Don't just drop in a bulb... Order DayMaker with adjustable kit, get a 6000k model. Yhen order light bar (hondaline or something) and driving lights from Sam Beavin and 6000k there too. Wire driving lights to run on both low beam and high beam. Yeah I know it ain't supposed to work that way, but it seems to make sense. I can't use the high beams a whole lot anyway, and I don't really ride much at night.

I gotta get one with not only a long beam patter but some width too. I live in the country and there are a lot of deer, and even worse... skunks out in the evening. Just kidding, I think I'd rather get sprayed by a skunk than to hit a deer. We also have a lot of opossums and armadillos. Seeing what is in the ditch is sort of important around here.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
637 Posts
thanks,got it.... Don't just drop in a bulb... Order DayMaker with adjustable kit, get a 6000k model. Yhen order light bar (hondaline or something) and driving lights from Sam Beavin and 6000k there too. Wire driving lights to run on both low beam and high beam. Yeah I know it ain't supposed to work that way, but it seems to make sense. I can't use the high beams a whole lot anyway, and I don't really ride much at night.

I gotta get one with not only a long beam patter but some width too. I live in the country and there are a lot of deer, and even worse... skunks out in the evening. Just kidding, I think I'd rather get sprayed by a skunk than to hit a deer. We also have a lot of opossums and armadillos. Seeing what is in the ditch is sort of important around here.
You can also put daymakers into driving light housings. I have 4.5" daymakers in my Cobra light bar lights. You remove the glass housing, and put the daymakers in side the chrome mounting ring:

·
Registered
2007 1300C
531 Posts
You can also put daymakers into driving light housings. I have 4.5" daymakers in my Cobra light bar lights.
They will also fit in the Hondaline light bar lights, it is snug, but they fit!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts