Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well just got back from a 1300 mile trip. The wind coming from around or under the windshield or somewhere just beat me up. I'm going to try some lowers but not sure what lowers will work the best on the 1800T or if they will stop the wind. If that doesn't work then I may have to sale the bike. I just can't take all the wind it's beating me up. Need help on stopping the wind.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Well just got back from a 1300 mile trip. The wind coming from around or under the windshield or somewhere just beat me up. I'm going to try some lowers but not sure what lowers will work the best on the 1800T or if they will stop the wind. If that doesn't work then I may have to sale the bike. I just can't take all the wind it's beating me up. Need help on stopping the wind.
Don't go selling it just yet... :D
There's a lot of people here with a windshield that can offer tips on what and how you need to adjust it, they have to be adjusted right or it's almost worst than not having one at all. Lowers will also help a lot from what I hear.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
It's a motorcycle...wind is part of it. Embrace it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dont know how much is to much for you ,wind nature of the beast,what gets me are the dust devils that cross my path.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Eagleinthewind is right, i have lowers and have only had one day in which the wind was annoying. It was gusting to 45 mph and was blowing pollen, dust, grit n stuff right past my not so good glasses and i didnt have my face shield with me. Anyway, if adjustment and lowers dont do it, maybe a fairing will. Would be a shame to sell your bike because of wind. :nope: Bry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Randy, I agree. Selling your bike is faaaar too drastic. Turbulence is very common and can be the result of many things, even just the angle of the windshield. You & I don't have the luxury of adjusting that angle with the O.E.M. windshield, but if you were to invest in the Hondaline lowers, I'm sure you'd be happier. The nicest thing is that they don't bolt or clamp onto your fork tubes, rather they attach using the bolt pattern of the windshield mount with longer bolts supplied. They look good and work quite well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess that I have been spoiled with my goldwings that I have had, no wind at all with them. :icon_chee

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
If the windshield doesn't cut it even with lowers I'd recommend keeping the lowers and adding a MS batwing fairing or a full fairing. That would be more in line with what you're used to on the GW. A full fairing would give you back your tunes alao. I did all the math and found Woodys to be the best bang for the buck other than some not designed for ther X.

·
Floor Board Scraper
623 Posts
Well, I can tell you first hand that the Hondaline lowers will help but not stop all of the beating. My bike starts to get bad above 60. If I lean forward slightly and 'crouch' everything goes silent. I've also set my cruise and then put my hands above the shield to mimic a taller shield and it helped a ton.

I have a new windshield on order and hopefully it will ship this week. http://clearviewshields.com/

I ordered 3" taller than stock and 2" wider. Shield will also have a recurve on top to help extend the enlarge the envelope. I'm 6'2" and my line of sight is well above the top of the factory windshield.

I will report on the results...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
STONR let me know how the new windshield works for you when you get it . Sounds like something that could work for me.:icon_chee

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
guys it is all in the tilt of the shield, 1/2" forward at the top will do almost the same as adding 3" in height; everyone wants the same slope as the forks NOT IF YOU WANT WIND PROTECTION!! as for lowers a couple shims can tilt the top to bottom and for best results you want them almost straight out 90 degrees from the bike, remember you are trying to move air away from the bike, not make it aerodynamic

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've got the same kind of bike and don't experiance that. When I wear a helmet with a visor my head gets moved arond a bit, so while riding interstates and such no visored helmets or polo syle helmet. What type helmet do you wear?

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
I had the same problem, made lowers out of some diamond plate aluminum (about $30 all in all) and 90% of the wind buffeting went away. I'm working on a mod for the Hondaline windshield that will raise it 3" up. I'm 6'4" and stick up into the wind. I'll post the mod when I've got it done.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Bill how did you attach your lowers to the bike? :icon_chee
I got some 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar(light and flexible) Bent it into a P bracket, drilled two holes in the bracket and plate, and attached them to the fork tubes below the lower triple trees. If I get a chance, I'll take a picture and post it on this thread.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts