Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a faring sitting in my casting room at the store figured I would get an mp3 player to hook up to the system. Now my question is this...is it possible with some sort of an adapter or such to hook it up to an existing receiver I have at the store to play mp3 downloads through? Keep in mind I know nothing about these things, I just listen to what is on the radio for free. So is this doable if the home receiver is not already set up for that.

Thanks for looking and any advice!

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
You want to play it through a receiver at the store? You can get a patch cord from radio shack that goes from the mini plug on the ipod to any aux input on the receiver.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
You mean a home-stereo type system??...Just get a "Y" adapter with two RCA ends, and a single 3.5mm end for the ipod...I hook mine up in my garage to the old JVC reciever using the "tape" inputs...Works perfectly!!...:mosh:

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,118 Posts
You would run off of battery power unless you got a docking station. Check out iHome for lots of ideas

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, at the store through a regular component type stereo receiver. So I can do this with the Y adapter cord. Thanks guy's, use to be big into stereo's in my younger days, you know.....back in the darkages when the only time the average Joe would use the term digital was to refer to one of those new fangled watches.

·
33,457 Posts
Yes, at the store through a regular component type stereo receiver. So I can do this with the Y adapter cord. Thanks guy's, use to be big into stereo's in my younger days, you know.....back in the darkages when the only time the average Joe would use the term digital was to refer to one of those new fangled watches.
I remember those watches!!...They all had red LED displays...Never had one though, I was too busy riding that old CB350 around with the cute girls on the back of that "ironing board" seat!!...Nothing like using a bit of Armorall on the passenger section, then hitting the brakes and making them slide into my back...LOL...;)

Yeah the "Y" adapter cord is what you need....

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The RCA to mini plug works great. You can also get the 110v to USB adapter for your iPod. Check Radio Shack or iHome Audio on the net to find a Dock that charges the iPod and has the RCA to RCA connector. I have one for my old 5th Generation iPod Video. I can sit the newer iPods in it with an adapter. The newer iPods uses different pins on the dock cable to charge with less voltage. So old systems will not work with the newer iPods.... without a patch. <---- Had the experience.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been looking at the spec.'s on the Ipod Touch and it says it has a flash drive will I have any issues using this as part of the system for my faring on the bike,...ie. will it skip?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have been looking at the spec.'s on the Ipod Touch and it says it has a flash drive will I have any issues using this as part of the system for my faring on the bike,...ie. will it skip?
No digital media will ever skip. Will need a charger for it. I have an ipod touch and the battery does not last that long.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember reading about certain ipods skipping and having problems due to being bumped/jarred/motorcycle use...Just don't know the details..
Yea, thats why I asked. I know nothing about these things but I was thinking I had heard that. Did some of the earlier ones have acutal hard drives which would skip?

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Yea, thats why I asked. I know nothing about these things but I was thinking I had heard that. Did some of the earlier ones have acutal hard drives which would skip?
Correct. Most of the newer music players use flash drives which use solid state memory. No moving parts means no skipping. :cheers:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks Dan, do you like the Touch overall??
Yeah I like it. There is a lot of things you can do with it. Its not just for music anymore. The amount of apps is mind blowing.

Bass
Not sure. I have 3 different ipods and never had any issues. I have run with them, Listened on my motorcycle, and have had it in my cherokee. Which rides worse than my bike. lol

·
33,457 Posts
Yeah I like it. There is a lot of things you can do with it. Its not just for music anymore. The amount of apps is mind blowing.

Bass
Not sure. I have 3 different ipods and never had any issues. I have run with them, Listened on my motorcycle, and have had it in my cherokee. Which rides worse than my bike. lol
No problem with mine either...I must have the right one then!!..LOL...

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, it's always nice to hear from folks who actually know what the hell they are talking about. Guess The Store will be buying me...........uhm, itself one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts