Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Beetle Bag Tail Light Mod progress report

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Gonzo1970 
#1 ·
I've got beetle bags, which I love, but I hated the turn signals. They are tough to see and the amber lenses are just ugly. Solution, find the clear lens replacement light assembly and convert it to LEDs. I spent the better part of today starting the process, after learning and practicing with LEDs. My thought is to have both a red running light and the amber turn signals.
View attachment 19892
After receiving the replacement light assemblies ($25 ebay) I spent nearly two hours separating the lens from the assembly. My advice if you attempt this is go very slow and be patient. It took nearly an hour for me to get the first 45 minutes for the second.
View attachment 19891
I ordered all the LEDs (both red and orange/amber) and the resistors ($25 ebay again).
View attachment 19893
View attachment 19895
I had decided to use plexiglass as the led mount. After an hour of marking and drilling I ended up with the clear mounts.

View attachment 19894

I inserted the Red LEDs in the pattern I had laid out.

View attachment 19896
View attachment 19897
And soldered as I went Another 2 hours slips by but I finished the pattern. There are 24 Red LEDs for this configuration

View attachment 19898

Next will be the amber/orange turn signals. which will be around 50 per side.

I got a start on them but realized I was supposed to have the old counter tops removed and the dry wall fixed before they deliver the new one tomorrow. The wife will not be pleased :nono: I guess it will be a late night...

See less See more
#6 ·
Beetle bag tail light mod - completed

Well finally finished the tail light mod on my beetle bags. As mentioned earlier, never liked the amber lenses and also my turn signals were not very bright. So I decided to make my own.

New lights installed.
View attachment 20181

New running lights:
View attachment 20183

New turn signals:
View attachment 20185

A few things I learned:

1) If you add LED turn signals, get the plug and play flasher designed to operate any light regardless of resistance. I found one for $20-$25 and have seen them for even less. You don't need to add the resistors to "fool" the stock relay.
2) working with LEDs is not difficult. Just find the LED web sites that tell you what resistors you need and Ebay them!
3) Don't touch the soldering iron when it's on. I have two new scars to prove it is a bad idea.

If anyone is interested in trying something like this, I will be happy to help/answer questions as much as I can.:cheers:

#8 ·
Well finally finished the tail light mod on my beetle bags. As mentioned earlier, never liked the amber lenses and also my turn signals were not very bright. So I decided to make my own.

New lights installed.
View attachment 20181

New running lights:
View attachment 20183

New turn signals:
View attachment 20185

A few things I learned:

1) If you add LED turn signals, get the plug and play flasher designed to operate any light regardless of resistance. I found one for $20-$25 and have seen them for even less. You don't need to add the resistors to "fool" the stock relay.
2) working with LEDs is not difficult. Just find the LED web sites that tell you what resistors you need and Ebay them!
3) Don't touch the soldering iron when it's on. I have two new scars to prove it is a bad idea.

If anyone is interested in trying something like this, I will be happy to help/answer questions as much as I can.:cheers:
Nice job! oh, and i totally hear you about touching the soldering iron:mad:

thanks for sharing with the pics.. Bry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.